Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First Look: 914-6 Alloy Rear Calipers, ...about 30 days out.
MDG
post Aug 17 2012, 11:58 AM
Post #61

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,018
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 17 2012, 10:41 AM) *

Human skin (mine is getting thicker with all this Internet philosophic discussion) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Yield strength (MPa) = 15

Okay.

If your skin continues to thicken at the rate this chart suggests, thereby becoming less flexible and losing elasticity, as a precaution, have you now forbidden your Venezuelan maids from wearing those short skirts? You know, in case you have any, um, flex?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Aug 17 2012, 12:13 PM
Post #62

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

I am the 99%

(of the guys that are stoked, and wouldn't ever worry about these calipers flexing too much)
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Aug 17 2012, 12:52 PM
Post #63

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

May I please be on the list for a pair in Natural finish Anodized, Narrow.= lighter
Regards

you didnt loose this...did you ?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

hey I can do ultimate breaking numbers and expansion numbers to that point ...through destruct testing if you want. both steel/alum.
+Quote Post
IM101
post Aug 17 2012, 01:07 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 12,367
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Awsome news Eric, will be looking to get a set down the road sometime.
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Aug 17 2012, 01:08 PM
Post #65

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(9146986 @ Aug 17 2012, 02:13 PM) *

I am the 99%

(of the guys that are stoked, and wouldn't ever worry about these calipers flexing too much)

Likewise. I don't race my car, nor have I autocrossed. I would like to upgrade my braking system however, and to me this seems to be right there. While my brake system works fine, I'd like to replace my rear AA calipers (with the broken adjuster screw on one side).

So, how would these work on a 4? Will I need to convert to 5 lug, along with vented rotors? I'd need to get a pair of hubs then, and upgrade the front end along with it, no? Also a 19mm master?

I think a car this light should be able to stop quicker than it does now.

What's a necking region? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I thought that was the back seat of Dad's Impala, circa 1977....
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Aug 17 2012, 02:26 PM
Post #66

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE(MDG @ Aug 17 2012, 09:58 AM) *

Human skin (mine is getting thicker with all this Internet philosophic discussion) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Okay.

If your skin continues to thicken at the rate this chart suggests, thereby becoming less flexible and losing elasticity, as a precaution, have you now forbidden your Venezuelan maids from wearing those short skirts? You know, in case you have any, um, flex?

But wouldn't the flexing technically result in a stiffer piece (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
MDG
post Aug 17 2012, 02:49 PM
Post #67

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 17 2012, 04:26 PM) *

Okay.

But wouldn't the flexing technically result in a stiffer piece (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

excellent point, Scotty. We need an expert - Is there a doctor in the house?
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 17 2012, 04:26 PM
Post #68

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 17 2012, 01:26 PM) *

Okay.

Not in Erc's case ... you can't stiffen what is already flaxen. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Aug 17 2012, 05:30 PM
Post #69

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 17 2012, 03:26 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 17 2012, 01:26 PM) *

Okay.

Not in Erc's case ... you can't stiffen what is already flaxen. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Strength of materials of human skin.....hmmmm.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Nice peice of work on the castings Mr. Erc.'s. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
kerensky
post Aug 17 2012, 11:00 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 5,508
Region Association: Southwest Region

Matt and Eric, standing on the Golden Gate Bridge, suddenly feel the call of nature. No traffic coming, they step to the railing...

"Damn! This water's cold!"

"Yeah, an' it's deep, too!"

Seriously, guys. Discuss in another thread or by IM, please?

Apologies to Richard Pryor, who prolly didn't *write* that joke but is the first guy I heard utter it.
+Quote Post
ww914
post Aug 18 2012, 08:11 AM
Post #71

914 Convert

Member No.: 13,621
Region Association: Central California

From a completely non-professional layman's point of view, I applaud Eric for taking on this task and making these calipers available to us for a reasonable price. Good job Eric and put me on the order list.
+Quote Post
DEC
post Aug 18 2012, 04:17 PM
Post #72

Member No.: 5,104
Region Association: Germany

QUOTE(ww914 @ Aug 18 2012, 04:11 PM) *

From a completely non-professional layman's point of view, I applaud Eric for taking on this task and making these calipers available to us for a reasonable price. Good job Eric and put me on the order list.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Aug 18 2012, 08:51 PM
Post #73

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

SWEEEEEET !!!
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Aug 20 2012, 05:17 PM
Post #74

Member No.: 10,019

Wow great item (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) !!!! By some chance might there be anything in the works for an Aluminum front 911 'M' style caliper, that will bolt on to the stock struts (3") and use stock rotors (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) ???? (minus the .103" that needs to be shaved off the 'M' calipers mounting surface)

Just asking, as I would be in for a 4 wheel set immediately (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)!!!!!!

I know I should just change the front end to 911 but I like the stock torsion bar spring rate and using stock sized brake pads (easier to remember and order) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 20 2012, 05:21 PM
Post #75

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Aug 20 2012, 07:17 PM) *

Wow great item (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) !!!! By some chance might there be anything in the works for an Aluminum front 911 'M' style caliper, that will bolt on to the stock struts (3") and use stock rotors (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) ???? (minus the .103" that needs to be shaved off the 'M' calipers mounting surface)

Just asking, as I would be in for a 4 wheel set immediately (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)!!!!!!

I know I should just change the front end to 911 but I like the stock torsion bar spring rate and using stock sized brake pads (easier to remember and order) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Bembo's - There on Eric's website. http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...552/6862358.htm
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Aug 20 2012, 05:50 PM
Post #76

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 20 2012, 04:21 PM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Aug 20 2012, 07:17 PM) *

Bembo's - There on Eric's website. http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...552/6862358.htm

Awesome!! thanks for the response (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)!! So after reading the description ...... these are for 911s ..... so I would need to machine the .103" off the mounting surface for the 914 struts ....... I actually made a machine fixture for this exact job for the used steel 'M' calipers I bought, but my mill is a tad too small for it .... so needless to say I have not gotten around to it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) ................ maybe I can send the fixture to Eric?? Does he do machining?

Also not to be any more of a pain ........ but the brake pads for these Brembo cals are not stock 914 (or stock 911 'M'). They are a tad bigger according to the PMB description, he mentions it is the 320i pad size ..... but not the year of 320i.

QUOTE(PMB website)
The pad size is much larger than the M-Caliper pad. They are the same width as the A and S-Caliper pads but not as tall... (only slightly, like 2mm or so). If anyone is familiar with the BMW 320i pad size, these are the same. Another nicety, as I mentioned that these add up in all areas as a true bolt-on upgrade is; with this basic pad size (which has been proven with the S-Caliper and A-Caliper) there is no over stress of the standard 20mm rotor which obviously lived on all 911's through 1983.

Thanks again for the help and link!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Aug 20 2012, 06:29 PM
Post #77

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The Brembo's will work on 914 struts in two configurations:

1. Without the spacers on an "early" 914 strut and a solid rotor.
2. With the BRAG hub that Mike Mueller designed for Brad Roberts, on a late strut and a vented rotor.

Regardless, I would move to a 3" 911 Boge strut and have the 911 hub, vented rotors and beefier bearings. Not that 914 bearings have been problematic... it's just that the BRAG hubs are NLA and as expensive or more expensive than a nice set of 3" 911 struts.

I think machining the calipers would be good money for bad.

+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Aug 20 2012, 07:22 PM
Post #78

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 20 2012, 05:29 PM) *

2. With the BRAG hub that Mike Mueller designed for Brad Roberts, on a late strut and a vented rotor.

Regardless, I would move to a 3" 911 Boge strut and have the 911 hub, vented rotors and beefier bearings. Not that 914 bearings have been problematic... it's just that the BRAG hubs are NLA and as expensive or more expensive than a nice set of 3" 911 struts.

Eric, thank you for the response. Have you tried to machine steel 'M' calipers? Sounds like it may be difficult. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

If you do not offer the machining ....... then ...... if I were to send you my pair of steel 1968 ATE 'M' calipers already machined at the mounting flange, would you be able to rebuild them? Maybe I can search for someone with a larger mill ...

When I get some other projects out of the way, I was thinking of making some of those NLA alloy hubs for late 914 struts. Because everytime I go looking for 911 struts I end up wasting a ton of time trying to find and identify years etc.. I always have the worst luck when it comes model compatability and fitment (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 20 2012, 07:41 PM
Post #79

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Aug 20 2012, 09:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 20 2012, 05:29 PM) *

Eric, thank you for the response. Have you tried to machine steel 'M' calipers? Sounds like it may be difficult. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

If you do not offer the machining ....... then ...... if I were to send you my pair of steel 1968 ATE 'M' calipers already machined at the mounting flange, would you be able to rebuild them? Maybe I can search for someone with a larger mill ...

When I get some other projects out of the way, I was thinking of making some of those NLA alloy hubs for late 914 struts. Because everytime I go looking for 911 struts I end up wasting a ton of time trying to find and identify years etc.. I always have the worst luck when it comes model compatability and fitment (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

911T struts go for cheap on pelican. Place a WTB for the model and what your willing to pay. Many 911 guys replace them with 3.5 spacing. I got mine for 100 and there were plenty of guys willing to sell for that price.
+Quote Post
dlestep
post Aug 20 2012, 08:22 PM
Post #80

I am smilin'...

Member No.: 8,573
Region Association: South East States

I have heard about (and tired of) the subject of flexing of aluminum calipers.
It started with Wilwood calipers in the '60s.
No matter what material is used, flex is always present in a cantilevered grip design.
Friction materials and fluids have advanced since the '60s and allow less
pedal input, (clamp pressure).
In the '90's metal matrix composite rotors were 40 percent more
thermally conductive than steel, heavy, and chewed up pads really fast.
During the turn of the century, composite and ceramic rotors evolved increasing
friction ten fold.
Carbon composite rotors were used on the Galaxy C5A way-back in the '80s, and
used on the LM X35 Rolls-Royce Allison Liftfan transmission in 2000.
Aircraft actuators, and pressure manifolds have always been made of aluminum alloys
and other exotics operating at 6,000lbs or more, far more than our brake pressures.
If you have a Cadillac, use steel to bring that barge under control.
If you have a nimble, light-weight sports car, that could reach 1g using stock tires
and solid rotors with single puck, steel calipers, then think what you could do on
the skid pad with proper tires, suspension settings and less unsprung weight.
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 03:17 AM