Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First Look: 914-6 Alloy Rear Calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Eric_Shea
The time has come. We are beginning to take pre-orders on the 914-6 rear calipers.

As you know, us 914 owners have long been looking for a solution to a properly biased brake system. The fronts have been the easy part, bolt on a pair of Brembo's ...or a 3.5" 911 front suspension and you would have your choice of larger calipers with 48mm pistons up front. But, what about the rears? You need a 38mm piston to give you the correct bias. For 914 owners that meant a long and winding road of searching for the proper solution which usually boiled down to two things; uber-rare (and uber-expensive) original 914-6 calipers or 911 rear calipers and a confusing handbrake assembly or, worse yet, 911 rear calipers and no handbrake solution.

Well, you're looking at the true bolt on solution. Aluminum castings of the famous 914-6 rear calipers. Final weigh-in has yet to be established but, we think we'll be under 3lbs each with the aluminum pistons.

These simply bolt on and use stock handbrake cables and parts. Larger pistons and larger pads make this the prefect rear caliper solution for Brembo bolt-ons and S-Caliper or A-Caliper upgrades.

What you are looking at is a raw alloy assembled prototype prior to anodizing.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
904svo
Nice!!!!
What the cost going to be?????
ottox914
Amazingly cool. And likely worth every penny.
matthepcat
I often suspect that my rears are doing little to nothing. This would be an easy solution.
Elliot Cannon
I'm ready for a pair of those. biggrin.gif
FourBlades

Those look awesome!

Who is making the castings?

John
sixnotfour
Think about it, 911 guys could use these to save lbs and still have a parking brake.

What about the flex ? slap.gif
Matt Romanowski
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 14 2012, 06:52 AM) *

I'm curious about this too. Even steel calipers flex, so when you make the same design out of aluminim, what is going to happen?
mepstein
QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Aug 14 2012, 11:18 AM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 14 2012, 06:52 AM) *

I'm curious about this too. Even steel calipers flex, so when you make the same design out of aluminim, what is going to happen?

Aren't all hi performance calipers made from aluminum?
Randal
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 14 2012, 07:16 AM) *

The time has come. We are beginning to take pre-orders on the 914-6 rear calipers.

As you know, us 914 owners have long been looking for a solution to a properly biased brake system. The fronts have been the easy part, bolt on a pair of Brembo's ...or a 3.5" 911 front suspension and you would have your choice of larger calipers with 48mm pistons up front. But, what about the rears? You need a 38mm piston to give you the correct bias. For 914 owners that meant a long and winding road of searching for the proper solution which usually boiled down to two things; uber-rare (and uber-expensive) original 914-6 calipers or 911 rear calipers and a confusing handbrake assembly or, worse yet, 911 rear calipers and no handbrake solution.

Well, you're looking at the true bolt on solution. Aluminum castings of the famous 914-6 rear calipers. Final weigh-in has yet to be established but, we think we'll be under 3lbs each with the aluminum pistons.

These simply bolt on and use stock handbrake cables and parts. Larger pistons and larger pads make this the prefect rear caliper solution for Brembo bolt-ons and S-Caliper or A-Caliper upgrades.

What you are looking at is a raw alloy assembled prototype prior to anodizing.

Amazing, simply amazing. flag.gif
scotty b
drooley.gif
jtf914
Looks like they are made for vented discs? Maybe...
seanery
1. Can we get them polished instead of plated?
2. Can we get them spaced like a GT caliper?
3. When can we get them?
4. What's the wallet damage?

thanks, Eric, these are cool!
Eric_Shea
There will be 914-6 and 914-6/GT (solid and vented rotor) versions.

M8 fasteners vs. M7 will prevent any and all flex.

911 versions are done as well... 2lbs 12 oz. for those. They shave exactly 5lbs of unsprung weight off each corner of an assdragger. Removing the handbrake assemblies from a 911 will save an additional 2.5lbs.

Didn't want the 911 guys to feel left out:
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
Damn those are Hot.. wub.gif
jim_hoyland
Again, another great product to update the 914 ! Way to go smile.gif I'm interested. beer.gif
ChrisFoley
Nice!
JRust
Damn you Eric mad.gif Like I need another thing to put on my list evilgrin.gif

Thanks by the way biggrin.gif
ruby914
Nice drooley.gif
MDG
Good work mister!
sixnotfour
oh I know, Group Buy, pennies on the dollar piratenanner.gif
watsonrx13
Fantastic... aktion035.gif

--- Rob
wingnut86
Well now I know why I didn't here back from you dry.gif

Who the hell needs 6 sets of used 914 calipers and a few sets of 944-Turbos when you got these toys on your kitchen table beer.gif

Congrats Eric.

Oh, still return my PM - Umm, sometime yellowsleep[1].gif
Matt Romanowski
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 14 2012, 09:24 AM) *

M8 fasteners vs. M7 will prevent any and all flex.

All the brake companies will tell you the flex is in the caliper design, not the fasteners. Have you tried these out yet? Track usage? I'm not trying to pee on your parade - I think it's awesome you're making these, I just want to make sure they work as well as they look.
Harpo
Awesome Eric. Show us more

DAvid
montoya 73 2.0
Okay Eric, Pee on my parade and give me the cost for my 73?
Mikey914
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Aug 14 2012, 02:02 PM) *

Well now I know why I didn't here back from you dry.gif

Who the hell needs 6 sets of used 914 calipers and a few sets of 944-Turbos when you got these toys on your kitchen table beer.gif

Congrats Eric.

Oh, still return my PM - Umm, sometime yellowsleep[1].gif

Have you priced the 944 turbo rebuild kits? They're about $90 caliper. $360 for the car OUCH.
Ask me how I know.
smj
Oh, so this is what Fiid was talking about yesterday... drooley.gif

Even if all were perfect with the former fronts that have been moved to the rear, I'd want these for my -6 so I could have an e-brake again!

(slow clap) Well played, Mr. Shea. Well. Played.

popcorn[1].gif
wingnut86
Nope,

You & Eric are thick as thieves.

These are nice 944 calipers Mark.

Right down to the "Porchah" stamped on each one...

Hey, wait a SECOND mad.gif

Frikkin flea market bootyshake.gif
BKLA
Mark told me about these last week and I actually kept my big mouth shut. biggrin.gif

You guys are amazing!!!
mepstein
QUOTE(BKLA @ Aug 15 2012, 09:38 PM) *

Mark told me about these last week and I actually kept my big mouth shut. biggrin.gif

You guys are amazing!!!

He told me in may along with some other really cool stuff that's in the works. shades.gif
porbmw
smilie_pokal.gif
Eric_Shea
Paul... those should look familiar. wink.gif
914werke
Ok enough with the teasing... will they be less than a OE set of /6 GT calipers?
Porschef
Wow. Just yesterday I had checked your website to see what the story was on 914-6 rear calipers; sure, you rebuild em, but ain't got any...couple hours later, BAM! PRESTO!

Shoulda bought a powerball ticket last night dry.gif

Vedy eenterestink.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Porschef @ Aug 16 2012, 07:41 AM) *

Shoulda bought a powerball ticket last night dry.gif

I did. mad.gif
Someone in Michigan won the 350 Million.
porbmw
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 15 2012, 08:04 PM) *

Paul... those should look familiar. wink.gif

Yup!
beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
Just yesterday I had checked your website to see what the story was on 914-6 rear calipers; sure, you rebuild em, but ain't got any...

Sure I do...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=189591

biggrin.gif

Pricing: There were 2 minor CAD changes and 1 minor CAD addition. We're waiting on a total from the machinest to assess final cost. I'm a 914 guy too so, "I understand". We're looking at keeping these under the $900 price point per pair. Bottom line though... we simply do not know accurately enough to project pricing just yet.
Matt Romanowski
What casting method are you using for these?
DRPHIL914
first.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

very cool! This just went to the top of my list- i had been saving up to get new rears or send myin in for a complete re-do but i think i will hold out for these!!!
balljoint
Oh boy!

I just got a package from PBR in the mail. smile.gif Pretty exciting!

Thanks Erc!

I will let you guys know how they fit!
IronHillRestorations
Porsche has put aluminum calipers on their top of the line cars for years. Remember when the S alloy calipers were the top shelf?

One guy writes about "flex" and causes speculation.

99% of the guys in the 914 world are stoked!

Awesome stuff Sir Eric of Stoppage! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(9146986 @ Aug 16 2012, 06:42 PM) *

Porsche has put aluminum calipers on their top of the line cars for years. Remember when the S alloy calipers were the top shelf?

Awesome stuff Sir Eric of Stoppage! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Not to mention their race cars. Does anyone do high performance steel calipers?
Matt Romanowski
QUOTE(9146986 @ Aug 16 2012, 02:42 PM) *

I'm not saying it's not really cool that he's doing this, but I'm asking about the material. Go look at other aluminum calipers and you'll notice something really different - they are forged. As you know, the forging adds a lot of strength.

Now, I'm not saying that you these won't be good calipers, I'm asking if they have been tested and work. Taking a design that was engineered for steel and making them out of aluminum isn't guarenteed to work the same.
914_teener
I'm not saying it's not really cool that he's doing this, but I'm asking about the material. Go look at other aluminum calipers and you'll notice something really different - they are forged. As you know, the forging adds a lot of strength.

Not necessarily true......meaning adding strength by forging.

mepstein
QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Aug 16 2012, 09:25 PM) *

QUOTE(9146986 @ Aug 16 2012, 02:42 PM) *

Now, I'm not saying that you these won't be good calipers, I'm asking if they have been tested and work. Taking a design that was engineered for steel and making them out of aluminum isn't guarenteed to work the same.

If you want tried and tru steel, I have a new set of perfect PMB 914-6 GT calipers I can sell you.
Eric_Shea
The Brembos we sell are cast. Same process. No flex. Much larger 48mm pistons as well. Everyone we've sold them to absolutely loves them.

Not sure about all the flex talk in calipers. Vic Elford can win Monte Carlo and race at Le Mans on aluminum calipers for 24 hours yet I hear from a lot of Internet racers that can't make it a lap around Riverside without complaining about "flex".

I have aluminum calipers on all my cars. I love them and highly recommend them.
mepstein
The "flex" myth is huge in the bike industry. Every year the manufactures quote 12.8% stiffer than last years bike. Stiffer wheels, stiffer soles on shoes, stiffer bars, stems and all kinds of crazy stuff. The stiffer is better hype is typically bought by the bike racer that isn't winning at the races. Can't be the rider, has to be the equipment.
bulitt
One former Boss of mine would spend thousands of dollars every year on new golf equipment...and he really sucked. So one day I very politely asked him why he did it and he told me "he just wanted to rule out equipment as a factor in his poor performance" blink.gif

Checking the Wilwood site, their calipers are cast also. And Eric's prices are in line with their offerings.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(bulitt @ Aug 17 2012, 06:46 AM) *

One former Boss of mine would spend thousands of dollars every year on new golf equipment...and he really sucked. So one day I very politely asked him why he did it and he told me "he just wanted to rule out equipment as a factor in his poor performance" blink.gif

lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.