Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First Look: 914-6 Alloy Rear Calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
SLITS
Guess I was wrong on the shocks ... oh well

You would have to ask the Porsche engineers why they changed the ball joints. My assumption would be that the wedge locks the shaft better, but the ball joint is essentially the same save for the cutout.

In other words, I don't know why.
scotty b
qwerty
MDG
Erc, are you going to stamp any kind of cool logo on them?

mellow.gif
Eric_Shea
No... They may crumble! What balljoints and strut inserts are you using?
sixnotfour
712 alum. my new guess
MDG
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 21 2012, 11:42 PM) *

No... They may crumble! What balljoints and strut inserts are you using?

Boogers and Dave.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 21 2012, 09:01 PM) *

You would have to ask the Porsche engineers why they changed the ball joints. My assumption would be that the wedge locks the shaft better, but the ball joint is essentially the same save for the cutout.

In my experience, the pinch bolt design has a tendency to ovalize the hole and allow movement.
Eric_Shea
Yup. That was the write up in Pano but, I've never actually seen an ovaled pinch bolt base. Must have been something as it evoked a design change.
jim_hoyland
Eric, What is the pricing going to look like ? smile.gif
Eric_Shea
On what? The struts? Balljoints? Recycled beer can calipers? biggrin.gif

Shooting for a $799 and $899 price point.
tomeric914
Edit: Never mind, Eric answered my question above
SLITS
Guess I'll have to buy a set and then while under hard braking they'll flex and shatter and cause me to wreck. That way the "T" I am running will not be blamed for the crash!! hissyfit.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 22 2012, 11:58 AM) *

Guess I'll have to buy a set and then while under hard braking they'll flex and shatter and cause me to wreck. That way the "T" I am running will not be blamed for the crash!! hissyfit.gif

lol-2.gif icon_bump.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 22 2012, 07:42 AM) *

On what? The struts? Balljoints? Recycled beer can calipers? biggrin.gif

Shooting for a $799 and $899 price point.

Just the calipers.... smile.gif
dlestep
Eric's Soda Can Brake Calipers !
Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Guess I'll have to buy a set and then while under hard braking they'll flex and shatter and cause me to wreck. That way the "T" I am running will not be blamed for the crash!!

Break all the brakes you want... we'll make more! Slits has already been kind enough to go dumpster diving for our cut-rate aluminum. Thanks Lil'Buddy!

IPB Image
MDG
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 22 2012, 04:41 PM) *

Slits has already been kind enough to go dumpster diving for our cut-rate aluminum. Thanks Lil'Buddy!

Ah.

THAT explains all of the band-aids on his fingers and thumbs. Odd he went with the Disney Princess ones though. confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
Odd he went with the Disney Princess ones though.

Not really... once you get to know him. blink.gif
IronHillRestorations
So that's why you wanted all those aluminum pop can ingots I made!
kerensky
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Aug 21 2012, 04:32 PM) *

I started out with a Schwinn Paramount ... Johnny Milsap (and you know who Johnny is ! ) was my first coach, semi retired after earning 4 olympic medals !
Wow! So, how long after that did he go blind? Pretty cool that he could just jump to a successful musical career like that, what're the odds? happy11.gif
sixnotfour
Guess I'll have to buy a set and then while under hard braking they'll flex and shatter and cause me to wreck. That way the "T" I am running will not be blamed for the crash!!

Uh I thought you said it was a boroke water line ?? blink.gif
tyfighter123
Did these ever come to fruition?

rgalla9146
QUOTE(tyfighter123 @ Jun 15 2019, 07:10 PM) *

That ship came in.....and left.
914werke
Holy resurrection batman!
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 16 2019, 04:21 AM) *

Dont you mean sunk?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(914werke @ Jun 16 2019, 01:41 PM) *

Holy resurrection batman!
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 16 2019, 04:21 AM) *

Dont you mean sunk?

Weren't they available and sold out and now NLA ?
Larmo63
Only the super cool special top secret insider those-in the-know types got these.

You didn't know that?
ConeDodger
I’ve got mine... evilgrin.gif
rgalla9146
Looking for a set for sale....anyone ?
mepstein
I don’t know the whole story but I don’t think they were cost effective for Eric to keep making. 914rubber had a steel version made and I think it was the same deal. Machining a small quantity was pricey.
Steve
I think Ferrari 308 uses the same rear calipers, but the oil line fittings are in the wrong spot. I bought a reseal kit years ago before I switched to Boxster brakes and 911 parking brake. Even after the rebuild they still would stick, so I got rid of them.
Olympic 914
Got mine too. aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment

Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 17 2019, 08:48 AM) *

I don’t know the whole story but I don’t think they were cost effective for Eric to keep making. 914rubber had a steel version made and I think it was the same deal. Machining a small quantity was pricey.

They're still listed on his site for sale. confused24.gif
Steve
They are but it also says "no longer available"
https://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...676/9712726.htm
But these are still available.
https://www.pmbperformance.com/914-brakes/914_6_Rear.html
horizontally-opposed
This was a super cool product. How many sets were made?

Was quite reasonably priced at $1500, given what it costs to buy or restore a set of steel 914-6 rear calipers—or what other aftermarket calipers (that don't include an e-brake!) go for.
tyfighter123
I am looking for a set of rears to match my S calipers up front. Does anyone have a set for sale?

Tyler
amfab

I picked up a set of the steel ones in the classifieds last year, so they do pop up from time to time
914werke
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Jun 17 2019, 06:23 AM) *
Got mine too. aktion035.gif
Those are alum alloy? how come they have an ATE casting?
Click to view attachment
Chi-town
Probably because the molds were original ATE cast iron ones?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jun 17 2019, 11:35 AM) *

This was a super cool product. How many sets were made?

Was quite reasonably priced at $1500, given what it costs to buy or restore a set of steel 914-6 rear calipers—or what other aftermarket calipers (that don't include an e-brake!) go for.

They were half of that Pete.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Jun 17 2019, 01:06 PM) *

Probably because the molds were original ATE cast iron ones?

That is correct.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 17 2019, 09:48 AM) *

They were always intended to be a limited run. I bought the last set and that is closed down...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(tyfighter123 @ Jun 17 2019, 12:55 PM) *

I am looking for a set of rears to match my S calipers up front. Does anyone have a set for sale?

Tyler

Are you rich Tyler? It was an incredible collaboration for Eric Shea and Mark Whitesell to get together and produce the limited run they did, I don’t think Eric has time for that again, his business has a three year supply of restoration customers. If you’ve got a trunk full of money, you might talk someone who has a set into parting with them. But otherwise, you should consider other options.

Here in this pic are my Brembo/Ferrari/Alfa front brakes. Alloy, polished and clear coated. Not impossible to find, but pretty darned difficult.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 17 2019, 08:52 PM) *

Tyler

Are you rich Tyler? It was an incredible collaboration for Eric Shea and Mark Whitesell to get together and produce the limited run they did, I don’t think Eric has time for that again, his business has a three year supply of restoration customers. If you’ve got a trunk full of money, you might talk someone who has a set into parting with them. But otherwise, you should consider other options.

Here in this pic are my Brembo/Ferrari/Alfa front brakes. Alloy, polished and clear coated. Not impossible to find, but pretty darned difficult.

....... but the discussion is alloy rears confused24.gif
Mark Henry
I have PMB V-calipers, stock /4 calipers with a spacer between the halves and shims (thin washers) between the caliper and the trailing arm mount. Uses 911 vented rears OD cut down 4mm.

I don't see these anymore, IIRC Eric couldn't find a supply for the longer bolts and the longer pad hardware (pins and springs).

IPB Image
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 17 2019, 10:26 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 17 2019, 08:52 PM) *

Tyler

....... but the discussion is alloy rears confused24.gif

Well, I have front and rear alloys. My rears are the last set of PMB alloy rears sold.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.