Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> oh where oh where, have my 4th and 5th gears gone
BahnBrenner914
post Oct 24 2004, 12:10 PM
Post #1

The girl is gone and all I have now is a beat-up teener

Group: Members
From: Gig Harbor and University Place, WA :: School in Angola, IN :: girlfriend in Sarasota, FL
Member No.: 2,094
Region Association: None

i know there is another topic on right now about this but my situation is kind of different. i have been having trouble with my sideshift tranny since i got the car a year ago. we pulled out the tranny and everything worked, we could engage all the gears and they spun around just fine so we put the tranny back in but i was still having problems. i replaced the ball cup bushing at the tranny and adjusted the linkage until i could get all the gears just fine. i can shift it into 4th and 5th from the tranny and the stick inside the car and it is engaged. But when i put it on jacks and ran it 4th and 5th didn't put any power through, the engine just revved and the speedo fell back down. somebody help me out here. thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Oct 24 2004, 12:42 PM
Post #2

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Mis-aligned shiftlinkage or at the forks.

Geoff
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Oct 24 2004, 01:19 PM
Post #3

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
You might also ckeck for a tight fit at the coupling of the 2 shift rods. if the cone screw is not tight or the hole is sloppy you are not rotating the aft rod far enough to select 4-5 gear.

Or you did not get the shifter lined back up on the front rod . Getting tis right is a pain.
1. undo all 3 bolts that hold the shifter to the tunnel
2. use a thin vise/narrow grip to hold the shift rod
3. loosen the binder bolt on the shifter
4. rotate the the rod left one spline at a time till you get your gears to select.

Yes this is trial and error.
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Oct 26 2004, 05:40 PM
Post #4

The girl is gone and all I have now is a beat-up teener

From: Gig Harbor and University Place, WA :: School in Angola, IN :: girlfriend in Sarasota, FL
Member No.: 2,094
Region Association: None

yeah i'm pretty sure the shift linkage is all solid and there are no problems there. i can shift it into 4th and 5th and the shifting peice at the tranny seems to be solid on the gear but the car just revs when i let the clutch out. i'm so confused because the gears all engaged when we had the gears out of the car several months ago.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Oct 27 2004, 07:21 AM
Post #5

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

From Experience... Take the gear stack out of the tranny and check the spacing between the shift rods. The factory manual specifies that there should be 1-2mm between the r/1 shift rod and the 2/3 shift rod. It also specifies that there should be 3-4mm between the 2/3 shift rod and the 4/5 shift rod. If you set the clearance for the 4/5 shift rod to 4mm, then you won't be able to get 4th or 5th. It's caused by the intermediate plate wearing over the years. Set the clearance the same as the r/1 shift rod and you will be fine. Or you can either have the intermediate plate rebushed, or replace the intermediate plate with an aluminum one.

Hope that helps!!!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 03:30 PM