Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oh where oh where
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BahnBrenner914
i know there is another topic on right now about this but my situation is kind of different. i have been having trouble with my sideshift tranny since i got the car a year ago. we pulled out the tranny and everything worked, we could engage all the gears and they spun around just fine so we put the tranny back in but i was still having problems. i replaced the ball cup bushing at the tranny and adjusted the linkage until i could get all the gears just fine. i can shift it into 4th and 5th from the tranny and the stick inside the car and it is engaged. But when i put it on jacks and ran it 4th and 5th didn't put any power through, the engine just revved and the speedo fell back down. somebody help me out here. thanks
Bleyseng
Mis-aligned shiftlinkage or at the forks.

Geoff
Joe Ricard
agree.gif
You might also ckeck for a tight fit at the coupling of the 2 shift rods. if the cone screw is not tight or the hole is sloppy you are not rotating the aft rod far enough to select 4-5 gear.

Or you did not get the shifter lined back up on the front rod . Getting tis right is a pain.
1. undo all 3 bolts that hold the shifter to the tunnel
2. use a thin vise/narrow grip to hold the shift rod
3. loosen the binder bolt on the shifter
4. rotate the the rod left one spline at a time till you get your gears to select.

Yes this is trial and error.
BahnBrenner914
yeah i'm pretty sure the shift linkage is all solid and there are no problems there. i can shift it into 4th and 5th and the shifting peice at the tranny seems to be solid on the gear but the car just revs when i let the clutch out. i'm so confused because the gears all engaged when we had the gears out of the car several months ago.
ClayPerrine
From Experience... Take the gear stack out of the tranny and check the spacing between the shift rods. The factory manual specifies that there should be 1-2mm between the r/1 shift rod and the 2/3 shift rod. It also specifies that there should be 3-4mm between the 2/3 shift rod and the 4/5 shift rod. If you set the clearance for the 4/5 shift rod to 4mm, then you won't be able to get 4th or 5th. It's caused by the intermediate plate wearing over the years. Set the clearance the same as the r/1 shift rod and you will be fine. Or you can either have the intermediate plate rebushed, or replace the intermediate plate with an aluminum one.

Hope that helps!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.