Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Mounting engine to gearbox
shuie
post Aug 17 2012, 09:32 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,075

I have brand new clutch release bearing ready. I want to go ahead and get my engine and gearbox mated up and ready to go into the car. Is there a thread that covers the proper way to get everything aligned? This is the first time I've ever dealt with a 901 gearbox. I remember how to line the clutch fork up on a 915, but this all looks a lot different to me. Is there a trick to this? I don't see anything in my Haynes manual. Does the gearbox just bolt straight on because of the different clutch type (push vs. pull)? Does anything need to be aligned like on a 915?

TIA
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 10)
rohar
post Aug 17 2012, 09:43 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,685
Region Association: None

QUOTE(shuie @ Aug 17 2012, 08:32 AM) *

I have brand new clutch release bearing ready. I want to go ahead and get my engine and gearbox mated up and ready to go into the car. Is there a thread that covers the proper way to get everything aligned? This is the first time I've ever dealt with a 901 gearbox. I remember how to line the clutch fork up on a 915, but this all looks a lot different to me. Is there a trick to this? I don't see anything in my Haynes manual. Does the gearbox just bolt straight on because of the different clutch type (push vs. pull)? Does anything need to be aligned like on a 915?

TIA

It's pretty easy, make sure your clutch is centered with a clutch centering tool and put the two halves together.
+Quote Post
shuie
post Aug 17 2012, 09:52 AM
Post #3

Okay, that's what I thought I was seeing from looking at the release bearing and the clutch. I just didn't want to overlook something and then have to pull everything back out.
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Aug 17 2012, 09:53 AM
Post #4

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188

Even with the alignment tool you might have to wiggle the gearbox a bit as you pull them together.

good luck
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Aug 17 2012, 12:17 PM
Post #5

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

This is a good time to have a helper. I put the engine on one dolly, and then have another one the same height, so I don't have to support the weight of either component and can just guide them together.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 17 2012, 12:19 PM
Post #6

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

If it doesnt slide in, rotate the CV flanges a little and keep trying.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Aug 17 2012, 07:10 PM
Post #7

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ch_replace1.htm

Complete with pictures
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 17 2012, 08:38 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I hate the little plastic guide tool they sell. I finally just cut the shaft on a tailshifter I scavenged gears from. Best tranny install ever using that. Slid right on so nice I was shocked (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
zambezi
post Aug 17 2012, 08:57 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 8,920
Region Association: South East States

The trick to using the alignment tools is it must be able to be removed super easily with no resistance or you will fight the input shaft going together. I just did the clutch on an Austin Healey today, and it went together like butter. I always make sure the alignment tool is centered in the pressure plate opening before tightening down the pressure plate. once tightened down I remove and replace the alignment tool multiple times and in various positions to ensure it is going in very easy. If I do all this I never have trouble when I mate up the transmission.
+Quote Post
shuie
post Aug 17 2012, 09:22 PM
Post #10

Thanks guys. This is a brand new 0 mile motor. I had the builder install the clutch prior to running the engine on the dyno so it should be aligned already.

Any quality grease should be okay for the input shaft and the ears on the throw out bearing, right? Is there a recommended brand?
+Quote Post
shuie
post Aug 18 2012, 01:40 PM
Post #11

k, I'll use the pink Mobil 1 synthetic bearing grease I have here. Please respond is this is stuff will degrade the rear main seal of the motor or input shaft seal on the gearbox and I'll wipe it off and use something else.

The throwout arm should snap down positively over the pivot ball, right? Mine seems like it is just sitting on the pivot ball and I didn't want to try to force it and crack the new bushing.

Sorry for the newbie questions. I didn't do the disassembly so I have no reference for how this stuff came apart and this will be the first one of these transmissions I've installed.

Thanks again for the help.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 12:33 PM