Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mounting engine to gearbox
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shuie
I have brand new clutch release bearing ready. I want to go ahead and get my engine and gearbox mated up and ready to go into the car. Is there a thread that covers the proper way to get everything aligned? This is the first time I've ever dealt with a 901 gearbox. I remember how to line the clutch fork up on a 915, but this all looks a lot different to me. Is there a trick to this? I don't see anything in my Haynes manual. Does the gearbox just bolt straight on because of the different clutch type (push vs. pull)? Does anything need to be aligned like on a 915?

TIA
rohar
QUOTE(shuie @ Aug 17 2012, 08:32 AM) *

I have brand new clutch release bearing ready. I want to go ahead and get my engine and gearbox mated up and ready to go into the car. Is there a thread that covers the proper way to get everything aligned? This is the first time I've ever dealt with a 901 gearbox. I remember how to line the clutch fork up on a 915, but this all looks a lot different to me. Is there a trick to this? I don't see anything in my Haynes manual. Does the gearbox just bolt straight on because of the different clutch type (push vs. pull)? Does anything need to be aligned like on a 915?

TIA

It's pretty easy, make sure your clutch is centered with a clutch centering tool and put the two halves together.
shuie
Okay, that's what I thought I was seeing from looking at the release bearing and the clutch. I just didn't want to overlook something and then have to pull everything back out.
pcar916
Even with the alignment tool you might have to wiggle the gearbox a bit as you pull them together.

good luck
IronHillRestorations
This is a good time to have a helper. I put the engine on one dolly, and then have another one the same height, so I don't have to support the weight of either component and can just guide them together.
Andyrew
If it doesnt slide in, rotate the CV flanges a little and keep trying.
bandjoey
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ch_replace1.htm

Complete with pictures
JRust
I hate the little plastic guide tool they sell. I finally just cut the shaft on a tailshifter I scavenged gears from. Best tranny install ever using that. Slid right on so nice I was shocked blink.gif
zambezi
The trick to using the alignment tools is it must be able to be removed super easily with no resistance or you will fight the input shaft going together. I just did the clutch on an Austin Healey today, and it went together like butter. I always make sure the alignment tool is centered in the pressure plate opening before tightening down the pressure plate. once tightened down I remove and replace the alignment tool multiple times and in various positions to ensure it is going in very easy. If I do all this I never have trouble when I mate up the transmission.
shuie
Thanks guys. This is a brand new 0 mile motor. I had the builder install the clutch prior to running the engine on the dyno so it should be aligned already.

Any quality grease should be okay for the input shaft and the ears on the throw out bearing, right? Is there a recommended brand?
shuie
k, I'll use the pink Mobil 1 synthetic bearing grease I have here. Please respond is this is stuff will degrade the rear main seal of the motor or input shaft seal on the gearbox and I'll wipe it off and use something else.

The throwout arm should snap down positively over the pivot ball, right? Mine seems like it is just sitting on the pivot ball and I didn't want to try to force it and crack the new bushing.

Sorry for the newbie questions. I didn't do the disassembly so I have no reference for how this stuff came apart and this will be the first one of these transmissions I've installed.

Thanks again for the help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.