Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!
> FS: Flared 1974 914 2.7 liter six conversion, Never thought I would sell.
don9146
post Aug 20 2012, 08:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,500
Region Association: None

FS: 1974 914 with Steel GT flares and a 2.7 liter 911 six

Same owner for the last 17 years. Originally the car was a 2.0 liter, but it had a rebuilt 1.8 when I purchased it. I rebuilt the car with the intent of never selling it. That means that ALL rust was properly removed and properly treated to make sure it doesn’t come back. The car never sees rain and is stored in a garage.
Unfortunately, the economy has hit engineering/manufacturing hard and I can no longer afford a luxury like the 914. Some of the work has been done by myself and much of the work has been done by Perry Kiehl (owner of the 914 Network) at his shop in Parsons, TN (I’m sure he will vouch for the quality of the car).
I built it to be driven, so there are a few minor chips in the paint, but the body is in otherwise in great shape. I entered it in one car show (The Franklin Eurofest) in 2005 and it won first place in its class (best non-911 Porsche) out of about 15 cars. Since that car show, I have put approximately 5,000 miles in the car and it looks exactly the same.
The 914 has received the following modifications:
Body

Battery tray, passenger side rear suspension console, rear trunk, driver’s side sail panel, rear floorpan, and longitudinals have been replaced.
All nuts, bolts, washers, and fasteners were removed and zinc coated to eliminate and prevent future rust.
Rear suspension reinforcement kit and Brad Mayeur longitudinal kit to stiffen the chassis.
Factory steel 914/6 GT fender flares. After the flares were installed, the rest of the body was stripped down to the bare metal and repainted Guards Red.
Inside of the longitudinals and sail panels have been treated with Oshpo to eliminate rust, cleaned out, then coated with Eastwood's Corroless epoxy paint.
Flared fiberglass rocker panels installed to match the fender flares.
914 LE fiberglass front spoiler.
Flared fiberglass rear valance to match the rear fender flares.
Vitaloni side view mirrors.
NOS targa top seal and all other dry-rotted seals replaced.
NOS front and rear bumpers.
All undercoating removed underneath the car and POR-15 applied.
914/6 GT double engine grill currently on the car. Will also give the original engine grill that is has the forward half painted to match the car’s current color.

Interior

Floorpans inside the car have been painted with POR-15 to prevent rust.
B-quiet sound deadening material on the floorpans and behind the seats.
Seats rebuilt and re-upholstered by Renegade Hybrids with side bolstering.
All gauges rebuilt by North Hollywood Speedometer. Tachometer replaced with a 911 Turbo unit that had the boost portion of the gauge replaced with a fuel gauge.
Upholstery replaced on both doors, lower dash, and back-pad.
NOS factory dash installed.
Momo steering wheel.

Suspension and Wheels & Tires

Automotion polyurethane bushings on A-arms, Automotion tubular front anti-sway bar, Automotion tubular torsion bars, bump steer kit, Bilstein inserts, and 911 turbo tie-rods at the front.
Automotion polyurethane bushings, Bilstein inserts, and Weltmeister 150 lb/in springs at the rear.
Front and rear suspension were re-aligned for aggressive street driving and the car was corner balanced.
Extremely rare factory 911 Turbo Fuch wheels (16 x 7 in front and 16 x 9 in the rear).
Bridgestone Potenza tires that are 225/50 in the front and 245/45 in the rear.

Transmission

Transmission rebuilt by Brad Mayeur approximately 8,000 miles ago. First gear was replaced all synchros were replaced.
Guard GT limited slip differential.
New Sachs clutch, new clutch tube (and fuel line while we were in there), and a terrycloth clutch cable.
New CV joints installed.

Brakes

Rebuilt 964 front calipers and 964 rotors that have been cross-drilled and slotted.
All hard brake lines cleaned and flushed out.
DOT approved braided stainless steel brake lines.
Rear calipers rebuilt and new rotors installed.
New ATE 19mm master cylinder and the VW “T” proportioning valve installed.

Engine (originally a 2.4 T engine, now a 2.7)

911 Carrera RS pistons and cylinders.
40mm Weber carburetors with K&N filters and K&N watershields.
Rebuilt heads from a 2.7 liter engine.
Lower valve covers replaced with 911 turbo valve covers. All valve covers were were machined flat and have new factory seals.
911 “Solex” camshafts.
911 Carrera chain tensioners.
Cooling flaps modified per the factory recommendation.
GT Performance Products 1 ¾ inch 914/6 tubular equal-length headers.
Velios oil tank.
Fuel pump relocated to the front trunk.
Optima battery to ensure no more acid leaks in the engine compartment (even tho the car is garage kept and NEVER driven in the rain).
Fuel tank removed, cleaned, and re-painted.
A/N fittings and braided stainless steel lines used for all oil lines.
External Earl’s oil cooler with a SPAL cooling fan installed under the rear trunk. The oil temps have NEVER passed 210°F, even during an open track day in Nashville when the temp outside was 95°F!

After talking it over with Perry, he mentioned that $25,000 is a fair price for a car in this condition. You cannot duplicate a car like this for anywhere close to this price. I have huge stacks of receipts totaling WAY more than the asking price with me doing a lot of the work on the car (and with Perry doing all work out of my skill-set) that I will include with the car. And remember, many of these parts to restore the car were bought before the price of them skyrocketed over the last decade.
I know there are always concerns about buying a 914 online, so please feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions or would like any additional pictures (I will add a few more pics as time allows). I want whoever is interested in purchasing the car to buy with complete confidence. I can be reached at d-o-n-9-1-4-6-at-c-o-m-c-a-s-t-dot-n-e-t (remove dashes and replace words with actual symbols).
Thanks for looking. And again, please feel free to post comments and ask any questions!

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 11:53 AM