Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: Flared 1974 914 2.7 liter six conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
don9146
FS: 1974 914 with Steel GT flares and a 2.7 liter 911 six

Same owner for the last 17 years. Originally the car was a 2.0 liter, but it had a rebuilt 1.8 when I purchased it. I rebuilt the car with the intent of never selling it. That means that ALL rust was properly removed and properly treated to make sure it doesn’t come back. The car never sees rain and is stored in a garage.
Unfortunately, the economy has hit engineering/manufacturing hard and I can no longer afford a luxury like the 914. Some of the work has been done by myself and much of the work has been done by Perry Kiehl (owner of the 914 Network) at his shop in Parsons, TN (I’m sure he will vouch for the quality of the car).
I built it to be driven, so there are a few minor chips in the paint, but the body is in otherwise in great shape. I entered it in one car show (The Franklin Eurofest) in 2005 and it won first place in its class (best non-911 Porsche) out of about 15 cars. Since that car show, I have put approximately 5,000 miles in the car and it looks exactly the same.
The 914 has received the following modifications:
Body

Battery tray, passenger side rear suspension console, rear trunk, driver’s side sail panel, rear floorpan, and longitudinals have been replaced.
All nuts, bolts, washers, and fasteners were removed and zinc coated to eliminate and prevent future rust.
Rear suspension reinforcement kit and Brad Mayeur longitudinal kit to stiffen the chassis.
Factory steel 914/6 GT fender flares. After the flares were installed, the rest of the body was stripped down to the bare metal and repainted Guards Red.
Inside of the longitudinals and sail panels have been treated with Oshpo to eliminate rust, cleaned out, then coated with Eastwood's Corroless epoxy paint.
Flared fiberglass rocker panels installed to match the fender flares.
914 LE fiberglass front spoiler.
Flared fiberglass rear valance to match the rear fender flares.
Vitaloni side view mirrors.
NOS targa top seal and all other dry-rotted seals replaced.
NOS front and rear bumpers.
All undercoating removed underneath the car and POR-15 applied.
914/6 GT double engine grill currently on the car. Will also give the original engine grill that is has the forward half painted to match the car’s current color.

Interior

Floorpans inside the car have been painted with POR-15 to prevent rust.
B-quiet sound deadening material on the floorpans and behind the seats.
Seats rebuilt and re-upholstered by Renegade Hybrids with side bolstering.
All gauges rebuilt by North Hollywood Speedometer. Tachometer replaced with a 911 Turbo unit that had the boost portion of the gauge replaced with a fuel gauge.
Upholstery replaced on both doors, lower dash, and back-pad.
NOS factory dash installed.
Momo steering wheel.

Suspension and Wheels & Tires

Automotion polyurethane bushings on A-arms, Automotion tubular front anti-sway bar, Automotion tubular torsion bars, bump steer kit, Bilstein inserts, and 911 turbo tie-rods at the front.
Automotion polyurethane bushings, Bilstein inserts, and Weltmeister 150 lb/in springs at the rear.
Front and rear suspension were re-aligned for aggressive street driving and the car was corner balanced.
Extremely rare factory 911 Turbo Fuch wheels (16 x 7 in front and 16 x 9 in the rear).
Bridgestone Potenza tires that are 225/50 in the front and 245/45 in the rear.

Transmission

Transmission rebuilt by Brad Mayeur approximately 8,000 miles ago. First gear was replaced all synchros were replaced.
Guard GT limited slip differential.
New Sachs clutch, new clutch tube (and fuel line while we were in there), and a terrycloth clutch cable.
New CV joints installed.

Brakes

Rebuilt 964 front calipers and 964 rotors that have been cross-drilled and slotted.
All hard brake lines cleaned and flushed out.
DOT approved braided stainless steel brake lines.
Rear calipers rebuilt and new rotors installed.
New ATE 19mm master cylinder and the VW “T” proportioning valve installed.

Engine (originally a 2.4 T engine, now a 2.7)

911 Carrera RS pistons and cylinders.
40mm Weber carburetors with K&N filters and K&N watershields.
Rebuilt heads from a 2.7 liter engine.
Lower valve covers replaced with 911 turbo valve covers. All valve covers were were machined flat and have new factory seals.
911 “Solex” camshafts.
911 Carrera chain tensioners.
Cooling flaps modified per the factory recommendation.
GT Performance Products 1 ¾ inch 914/6 tubular equal-length headers.
Velios oil tank.
Fuel pump relocated to the front trunk.
Optima battery to ensure no more acid leaks in the engine compartment (even tho the car is garage kept and NEVER driven in the rain).
Fuel tank removed, cleaned, and re-painted.
A/N fittings and braided stainless steel lines used for all oil lines.
External Earl’s oil cooler with a SPAL cooling fan installed under the rear trunk. The oil temps have NEVER passed 210°F, even during an open track day in Nashville when the temp outside was 95°F!

After talking it over with Perry, he mentioned that $25,000 is a fair price for a car in this condition. You cannot duplicate a car like this for anywhere close to this price. I have huge stacks of receipts totaling WAY more than the asking price with me doing a lot of the work on the car (and with Perry doing all work out of my skill-set) that I will include with the car. And remember, many of these parts to restore the car were bought before the price of them skyrocketed over the last decade.
I know there are always concerns about buying a 914 online, so please feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions or would like any additional pictures (I will add a few more pics as time allows). I want whoever is interested in purchasing the car to buy with complete confidence. I can be reached at d-o-n-9-1-4-6-at-c-o-m-c-a-s-t-dot-n-e-t (remove dashes and replace words with actual symbols).
Thanks for looking. And again, please feel free to post comments and ask any questions!

Click to view attachment
don9146
Front 914 LE valence. Factory driving lights were rebuilt with halogen bulbs. I have the correct driving light screens for the car that will be included.

Click to view attachment

Side shot.

Click to view attachment

Renegade Hybrids seats showing the side bolstering.

Click to view attachment

Momo steering wheel, rebuilt North Hollywood Speedometer gauges (note the 911 turbo tachometer with the fuel gauge where the boost should be), and NOS dash and upholstrey.

Click to view attachment
don9146
An attempt to show how deep the paint on the car is on the rear trunk. Obviously, there was no flash used and the day was overcast (notice the clouds reflected off the trunk?).

Click to view attachment

Showing how the 16 x 9 wheels with 245/45 tires fill out the rear flares and the body colored roof.

Click to view attachment

Close-up of the front wheel with the 964 caliper (rebuilt and powder coated by Rich Johnson). You can see some of the cross drilling, but not the slotting in the rotor (also from Rich).

Click to view attachment
don9146
Showing front trunk condition and the relocated fuel pump. The fuel tank was thoroughly cleaned as well.

Click to view attachment

Shot of the rear trunk, factory emergency jack, and the replaced roof holders.

Click to view attachment

The 2.7 liter six showing its K & N watershields and re-built and re-painted fan shroud. You can also see the full-length 914/6 GT style engine lid.

Click to view attachment

And the money shot showing the battery tray area. All replaced and re-painted with an Optima battery sitting on top.

Click to view attachment
bcheney
Don, Anyone who is building or has built a -6 conversion car will agree that putting one together to the level that you have is a huge undertaking. Your car looks fantastic and the parts are correct and well assembled. As you well know process is gratifying and very expensive even if you do much of the work yourself. So, the price you have on this car is very good. I would suggest posting as many pics as possible and if you have some taken during the conversion process that may help as well. I wish you all the best with the sale and hope that you will always look back at this ride with a smile on your face and many great memories of the fun you had with her! Someone is going to get a terrific car...
IronHillRestorations
I know this car very well, and wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere. Lots of attention to detail, and well sorted. Don built this car with the intent of keeping it forever, so someone is going to get a very nice car!
neunhundertvierzehn
PM send
don9146
Deposit received for the car today. Barring any unforeseen problems, the car should be sold this weekend. Will post a few more pics anyways as long as I have the 914 on the lift.
AZ914
Wow, nice car. Congrats!
Lectronix
Someone is sure to get a very nice car.
don9146
SOLD!!! The new owner is driving the 914 home to Texas today, trying to stay ahead of the rain form Hurricane Isaac. The car is already being missed.
Thanks to everyone for the interest.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.