Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pictures of a Quick Six Mount
hwgunner
post Aug 28 2012, 03:35 PM
Post #1

914 Parts @ Discount Prices 800.321.5432

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,095
Region Association: None

Anyone have pictures of a quick six mount? I have a customer that is looking for one and I want to see if it will work for his application (Beck 904). If you have one for sale you can also let me know that too.

jonathan
hwgunner
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
type47
post Aug 28 2012, 03:54 PM
Post #2

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
I always thought these were a good idea but was told they will break. There might be 2 versions early/70-72 and late/73->
+Quote Post
BKLA
post Aug 28 2012, 03:58 PM
Post #3

Really old member

Member No.: 4,590
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Jonathan - the original "quick six" mount was a bolt in bar that spanned from the "4" mounts and had a six connector at the front. I had one like the top picture in the post above... Broke the welds and had to re-weld it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I hope that this is not what you are looking for. They had a number or issues, mainly related to weld failures. Patrick motorsports used to make them and changed to a firewall system. (See http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/pmp...onversion-part/ )

check that one out.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 28 2012, 04:02 PM
Post #4

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

The quick six is nothing but a standard early engine mount bar with the nose piece of /6 911 mount welded to it (early = tail shift engine mount bar).

Others have been made of tube instead of the bar, but the nose piece is still welded on.

This is one on a car I had which I immediately changed to an RJ mount.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i239.photobucket.com-1696-1346191348.1.jpg)

Not a true "quick six" but the same idea.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 28 2012, 04:05 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(type47 @ Aug 28 2012, 02:54 PM) *

I always thought these were a good idea but was told they will break. There might be 2 versions early/70-72 and late/73->

Couldn't use the side shifter setup because the torque shocks had to be at the end of the bar. If you used it in a mid '72 and up, you had to acquire the "shock" assembly of the early tailshifter engine mount bar for the ends to have any vibration isolation.
+Quote Post
brant
post Aug 28 2012, 04:06 PM
Post #6

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I have one like in Ron's picture that I could sell or trade.
it bolts onto an early bar (I think I have an early bar somewhere but can't imagine its economical to ship)

brant
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
hwgunner
post Aug 28 2012, 04:15 PM
Post #7

I know the quick six mounts had their problems but the issue we have on this build is that the 904 the customer is building does not have a steel firewall to bolt/weld to. What ever he does has to go out to the outer "frame rails". The intention was to take a quick six and fortify it instead of building it from scratch. thanks for eh pictures everyone. Brent, I may take you up on the mount part. Let me do a little brain storming with my welder.

jonathan
hwgunner
+Quote Post
hwgunner
post Aug 28 2012, 04:17 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(BKLA @ Aug 28 2012, 02:58 PM) *

Jonathan - the original "quick six" mount was a bolt in bar that spanned from the "4" mounts and had a six connector at the front. I had one like the top picture in the post above... Broke the welds and had to re-weld it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I hope that this is not what you are looking for. They had a number or issues, mainly related to weld failures. Patrick motorsports used to make them and changed to a firewall system. (See http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/pmp...onversion-part/ )

check that one out.

Iknow about the problems, it is more of a head start than building from scratch. See above.

jonathan
hwgunner
+Quote Post
type47
post Aug 28 2012, 04:23 PM
Post #9

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 28 2012, 02:05 PM) *

Couldn't use the side shifter setup because the torque shocks had to be at the end of the bar. If you used it in a mid '72 and up, you had to acquire the "shock" assembly of the early tailshifter engine mount bar for the ends to have any vibration isolation.

Could you explain a little further? Is the "bent" bar actually for side shift and the "straight" bar for pre 73? Are you saying that if you use the "bent" bar version that you have to use the "shocks" that are used in pre 73 engine mounts and you can't just bolt up the "bent" version like you bolt up a post 72 engine mount bar?
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Aug 28 2012, 05:02 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have one of the mounts that is shown in Slits photos. I also ended up removing it when I went to a firewall mount in order to clear the heat exchangers. I cannot imagine that it could break as it is a very heavy unit. The crossbar is a solid steel bar and the mount is made of very heavy gauge steel.

If you are interested, please PM me. I don't really have a use for it and could probably let it go cheaply. Shipping would be tough, but could certainly be arraigned. I originally got it from John Williamson at Otto's in Venice, CA years ago.
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Aug 28 2012, 05:29 PM
Post #11

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188

I have the top bar in the photos above. It broke at a track many years ago but triangular gusset (two total) welded onto each side of the pulley enclosure fixed it. The 993 engine and many years later no problems. I wouldn't use one without those gussets. Another engine upgrade and I'll probably go to a firewall mount.

To the question about mounts...

I use 911 sport mounts. Sport mounts were stock on the 911 Cabriolets in the '80's.

Good luck
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Aug 28 2012, 05:37 PM
Post #12

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

IMO, the bracket Brant has is a good starting point for a custom mount for a 904 replicar.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 28 2012, 05:42 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(type47 @ Aug 28 2012, 03:23 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 28 2012, 02:05 PM) *

Could you explain a little further? Is the "bent" bar actually for side shift and the "straight" bar for pre 73? Are you saying that if you use the "bent" bar version that you have to use the "shocks" that are used in pre 73 engine mounts and you can't just bolt up the "bent" version like you bolt up a post 72 engine mount bar?

There are no motor mounts on a quick six like on a mid '72 & up. You would be bolting a solid mount setup if you used the side shifter setup (bar ends). As far as the side shifter bar, I suppose you could weld the mount to it but again you would not have a rubberized motor mount.

You can use solid mounts, but I would rather have some shock absorbing capability to avoid cracking cases.
+Quote Post
hwgunner
post Aug 28 2012, 05:42 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 28 2012, 04:37 PM) *

IMO, the bracket Brant has is a good starting point for a custom mount for a 904 replicar.

Exactly!!!!!!
+Quote Post
zig-n-zag
post Aug 28 2012, 07:22 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 6,024

I have a mount like shown in Slits pic.

Freebie, Jonathan, just pay for shipping!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 02:21 PM