Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pictures of a Quick Six Mount
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hwgunner
Anyone have pictures of a quick six mount? I have a customer that is looking for one and I want to see if it will work for his application (Beck 904). If you have one for sale you can also let me know that too.

jonathan
hwgunner
type47
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
I always thought these were a good idea but was told they will break. There might be 2 versions early/70-72 and late/73->
BKLA
Jonathan - the original "quick six" mount was a bolt in bar that spanned from the "4" mounts and had a six connector at the front. I had one like the top picture in the post above... Broke the welds and had to re-weld it. sad.gif

I hope that this is not what you are looking for. They had a number or issues, mainly related to weld failures. Patrick motorsports used to make them and changed to a firewall system. (See http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/pmp...onversion-part/ )

check that one out.
SLITS
The quick six is nothing but a standard early engine mount bar with the nose piece of /6 911 mount welded to it (early = tail shift engine mount bar).

Others have been made of tube instead of the bar, but the nose piece is still welded on.

This is one on a car I had which I immediately changed to an RJ mount.

IPB Image

Not a true "quick six" but the same idea.
SLITS
QUOTE(type47 @ Aug 28 2012, 02:54 PM) *

I always thought these were a good idea but was told they will break. There might be 2 versions early/70-72 and late/73->

Couldn't use the side shifter setup because the torque shocks had to be at the end of the bar. If you used it in a mid '72 and up, you had to acquire the "shock" assembly of the early tailshifter engine mount bar for the ends to have any vibration isolation.
brant
I have one like in Ron's picture that I could sell or trade.
it bolts onto an early bar (I think I have an early bar somewhere but can't imagine its economical to ship)

brant
hwgunner
I know the quick six mounts had their problems but the issue we have on this build is that the 904 the customer is building does not have a steel firewall to bolt/weld to. What ever he does has to go out to the outer "frame rails". The intention was to take a quick six and fortify it instead of building it from scratch. thanks for eh pictures everyone. Brent, I may take you up on the mount part. Let me do a little brain storming with my welder.

jonathan
hwgunner
hwgunner
QUOTE(BKLA @ Aug 28 2012, 02:58 PM) *

Jonathan - the original "quick six" mount was a bolt in bar that spanned from the "4" mounts and had a six connector at the front. I had one like the top picture in the post above... Broke the welds and had to re-weld it. sad.gif

I hope that this is not what you are looking for. They had a number or issues, mainly related to weld failures. Patrick motorsports used to make them and changed to a firewall system. (See http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/pmp...onversion-part/ )

check that one out.

Iknow about the problems, it is more of a head start than building from scratch. See above.

jonathan
hwgunner
type47
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 28 2012, 02:05 PM) *

Couldn't use the side shifter setup because the torque shocks had to be at the end of the bar. If you used it in a mid '72 and up, you had to acquire the "shock" assembly of the early tailshifter engine mount bar for the ends to have any vibration isolation.

Could you explain a little further? Is the "bent" bar actually for side shift and the "straight" bar for pre 73? Are you saying that if you use the "bent" bar version that you have to use the "shocks" that are used in pre 73 engine mounts and you can't just bolt up the "bent" version like you bolt up a post 72 engine mount bar?
GeorgeRud
I have one of the mounts that is shown in Slits photos. I also ended up removing it when I went to a firewall mount in order to clear the heat exchangers. I cannot imagine that it could break as it is a very heavy unit. The crossbar is a solid steel bar and the mount is made of very heavy gauge steel.

If you are interested, please PM me. I don't really have a use for it and could probably let it go cheaply. Shipping would be tough, but could certainly be arraigned. I originally got it from John Williamson at Otto's in Venice, CA years ago.
pcar916
I have the top bar in the photos above. It broke at a track many years ago but triangular gusset (two total) welded onto each side of the pulley enclosure fixed it. The 993 engine and many years later no problems. I wouldn't use one without those gussets. Another engine upgrade and I'll probably go to a firewall mount.

To the question about mounts...

I use 911 sport mounts. Sport mounts were stock on the 911 Cabriolets in the '80's.

Good luck
ChrisFoley
IMO, the bracket Brant has is a good starting point for a custom mount for a 904 replicar.
SLITS
QUOTE(type47 @ Aug 28 2012, 03:23 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 28 2012, 02:05 PM) *

Could you explain a little further? Is the "bent" bar actually for side shift and the "straight" bar for pre 73? Are you saying that if you use the "bent" bar version that you have to use the "shocks" that are used in pre 73 engine mounts and you can't just bolt up the "bent" version like you bolt up a post 72 engine mount bar?

There are no motor mounts on a quick six like on a mid '72 & up. You would be bolting a solid mount setup if you used the side shifter setup (bar ends). As far as the side shifter bar, I suppose you could weld the mount to it but again you would not have a rubberized motor mount.

You can use solid mounts, but I would rather have some shock absorbing capability to avoid cracking cases.
hwgunner
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 28 2012, 04:37 PM) *

IMO, the bracket Brant has is a good starting point for a custom mount for a 904 replicar.

Exactly!!!!!!
zig-n-zag
I have a mount like shown in Slits pic.

Freebie, Jonathan, just pay for shipping!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.