Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dissassmble gas cap, Can it be done
Pat Garvey
post Aug 28 2012, 05:08 PM
Post #1

Do I or don't I...........?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

I have several old gas caps (914) that I'd like to restore.

Can they be taken apart without destroying the indents for closure?
Pat
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wingnut86
post Aug 28 2012, 05:24 PM
Post #2

...boola la boo boola boo...

Member No.: 11,645
Region Association: South East States

Pat,

I believe they pressed the shoulders down after, or had a press that closed the gap with the backshell. I've cleaned up 6 or 7 myself.

Acid dip or Marine Clean and then re-plate if that's your preference. Brass brushes help and new seals from Mikey914.

I didn't do this with the last few, but you can also paint the exposed interior with Red-Kote thinned 50/50 with good acetone to coat. I don't like the POR product for this.

Lastly - you won't make money on this, although the originality group will buy them...

Dave

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 28 2012, 06:37 PM
Post #3

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Aug 28 2012, 05:24 PM) *

Pat,

I believe they pressed the shoulders down after, or had a press that closed the gap with the backshell. I've cleaned up 6 or 7 myself.

Acid dip or Marine Clean and then re-plate if that's your preference. Brass brushes help and new seals from Mikey914.

I didn't do this with the last few, but you can also paint the exposed interior with Red-Kote thinned 50/50 with good acetone to coat. I don't like the POR product for this.

Lastly - you won't make money on this, although the originality group will buy them...

Dave

Dave,
It looks to me that there are 2 seals (one of which I have from Mikey), a lower & an upper. The upper being of a fifferent material.

I simply want a refurbised on for my car.

I'd like to get all the components ot, redo them and make it like new. The cap shell is not an issue - simichrome will take care of that.

It's the guts that I would like to remove.
Pat
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 02:36 PM