Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dissassmble gas cap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
I have several old gas caps (914) that I'd like to restore.

Can they be taken apart without destroying the indents for closure?
Pat
wingnut86
Pat,

I believe they pressed the shoulders down after, or had a press that closed the gap with the backshell. I've cleaned up 6 or 7 myself.

Acid dip or Marine Clean and then re-plate if that's your preference. Brass brushes help and new seals from Mikey914.

I didn't do this with the last few, but you can also paint the exposed interior with Red-Kote thinned 50/50 with good acetone to coat. I don't like the POR product for this.

Lastly - you won't make money on this, although the originality group will buy them...

Dave

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Aug 28 2012, 05:24 PM) *

Pat,

I believe they pressed the shoulders down after, or had a press that closed the gap with the backshell. I've cleaned up 6 or 7 myself.

Acid dip or Marine Clean and then re-plate if that's your preference. Brass brushes help and new seals from Mikey914.

I didn't do this with the last few, but you can also paint the exposed interior with Red-Kote thinned 50/50 with good acetone to coat. I don't like the POR product for this.

Lastly - you won't make money on this, although the originality group will buy them...

Dave

Dave,
It looks to me that there are 2 seals (one of which I have from Mikey), a lower & an upper. The upper being of a fifferent material.

I simply want a refurbised on for my car.

I'd like to get all the components ot, redo them and make it like new. The cap shell is not an issue - simichrome will take care of that.

It's the guts that I would like to remove.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.