Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Megasquirt Project, .....IT RUNS !
aircooledtechguy
post Sep 6 2012, 10:22 AM
Post #21

The Aircooledtech Guy

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Michelj13 @ Sep 5 2012, 09:17 PM) *

I will need to make another bench experiment, but I got some microbrew IPA this time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

A good IPA guarantees success IMHO (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

The main thing to remember about the 36-1 wheel and the VR sensor is that missing tooth needs to lead the VR sensor by 90 degrees for a 4 cylinder motor. I've not used Mark's kit, but if you have the ability to clock the tooth portion of the wheel on it's hub it while the engine is set @ TDC, you won't have to adjust the TDC in the computer in order to get the timing accurate in relation to the actual crank position.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Sep 6 2012, 11:57 AM
Post #22

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

IMHO, timing should always be confirmed via timing light to make sure what you see on the engine matches what the computer thinks the timing is. The toothed wheel isn't adjustable, but MegaSquirt is very flexible on making this adjustment.
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Sep 6 2012, 04:25 PM
Post #23

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 6 2012, 10:57 AM) *

IMHO, timing should always be confirmed via timing light to make sure what you see on the engine matches what the computer thinks the timing is.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Absolutely! I hope my comments didn't make that seem un-important, because absolute verification is 100% required. Can't know where to go unless you know where you are.
+Quote Post
Michelj13
post Sep 6 2012, 11:57 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 2,122
Region Association: Southern California

Yes, I confirmed tonight that the Tooth #1 angle adjustment is VERY flexible. I took some photos of the timing wheel (that I marked up with TDC roughly same spot as Mark's wheel) with my test setup. I fee comfortable with this now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Also, ordered up some SS fuel lines+tank screen from Tangerine Racing, so looks like I will be diving into the car soon. Wonder if I really need to remove the tank (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
I need to mount my fuel pump under the tank too. Any tips on doing this?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
rwilner
post Sep 7 2012, 11:49 AM
Post #25

No Ghosts in the Machine

Member No.: 11,530
Region Association: North East States

boy this looks familiar!

When you get into tuning land, I HIGHLY recommend purchasing the full version of tunerstudio and using their autotune function to set your VE tables. They will get you to 90% of where you need to be (maybe 100%).

Also: I know you'll do this, but when you get everything in the car, make sure every sensor is reading as expected before even trying to start or tune the engine -- IAT, CHT, MPS, AFR, TPS are the main ones I think.

Looks like fun!!
+Quote Post
Michelj13
post Sep 8 2012, 09:23 AM
Post #26

QUOTE(rwilner @ Sep 7 2012, 10:49 AM) *

boy this looks familiar!

When you get into tuning land, I HIGHLY recommend purchasing the full version of tunerstudio and using their autotune function to set your VE tables. They will get you to 90% of where you need to be (maybe 100%).

Looks like fun!!

I did buy the full version and I am going through great lengths to test everything before hand. To me the journey is a BIG part of the fun. The VE tuning part does make me a little nervous.

Hope you didn't sell your 914 yet. In my opinion, I think you should keep it. It's value is only going up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Michelj13
post Sep 12 2012, 10:30 PM
Post #27

Just receive my SS "through the tunnel fuel lines from Chris. Guess I'll be pulling the gas tank this weekend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Michelj13
post Oct 13 2012, 12:35 PM
Post #28

Almost ready to pull fuel tank. You can probably tell I am trying to delay this part.

I laid out my fuel system components and everything seems to work as it should. Next step is starting install in 914.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZkWpAmDFPM
+Quote Post
toon1
post Oct 13 2012, 08:00 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 5,022

Yes you are crazy!!! I think I would have used water...LOL.

Very cool to see it in action
+Quote Post
wingnut86
post Oct 13 2012, 08:31 PM
Post #30

...boola la boo boola boo...

Member No.: 11,645
Region Association: South East States

Actually, if you used Bacatdi 151 and Long Island Tea mixers, all your friends could do shots (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Follow it up with 91% alcohol to clean the pipes so to speak.

Of course, lighting it and toasting up some Brauts in the sweat spot would have enamored you in your neighbors eyes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
Michelj13
post Nov 13 2012, 09:21 AM
Post #31

I had some success this weekend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) The relay board got installed, hole through firewall, ran basic power also ran my head temp sensors. After going this, I still was not in the mood to remove fuel tank so I thought I would try running the engine using MS to just replace the distributor and coils. Success (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Once I set the trigger angle correctly at 70 degrees, it started right up. It ran so mkuch smoother than before. I even ran it around the block. Can t wait to try the rest of the system.

I rewarded myself with some cold Lagunitas IPAs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Nov 13 2012, 12:15 PM
Post #32

The Aircooledtech Guy

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Glad to hear that you actually took it off the bench and hooked it up to an actual engine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Let the tuning begin. . .
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Nov 13 2012, 03:18 PM
Post #33

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

Thread title is "Will It Ever Run?" Now it does, so you might want to update that.
+Quote Post
Michelj13
post Nov 19 2012, 06:22 PM
Post #34

I tried, but was unable to figure it out. I will start a new one once I get the fuel injection installed. Hopefully, this will happen before the end of the year!

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Nov 13 2012, 01:18 PM) *

Thread title is "Will It Ever Run?" Now it does, so you might want to update that.

+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 19 2012, 07:00 PM
Post #35

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Michelj13 @ Nov 19 2012, 04:22 PM) *

I tried, but was unable to figure it out. I will start a new one once I get the fuel injection installed. Hopefully, this will happen before the end of the year!

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Nov 13 2012, 01:18 PM) *

You don't have to start a new thread. When you click on edit, you have to choose full edit to change the title.
+Quote Post
rudedude
post Nov 19 2012, 07:24 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 3,387
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Step up the pace! I want to do microsquirt this winter and need some encouragement.
+Quote Post
Michelj13
post Nov 20 2012, 12:01 AM
Post #37

Ok, the title is changed, yeh me. I only work in one speed, SLOW (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Here is a photo of the temporary coil setup and look the distributor wires are gone.
Attached Image

and some photos of my head temp sensor setup....lest than $25 for both on ebay!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 20 2012, 09:53 AM
Post #38

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Unfortunately that location won't give you true readings for head temp. The numbers you'll see talked about here on the site for a head temp gauge refer to a sender installed under the spark plug.

Of course, if you're using that head temp location to feed the Megasquirt, then it'll work fine for that.
+Quote Post
Michelj13
post Nov 20 2012, 02:50 PM
Post #39

I knew this when I decided to go this route. I have also read there are discrepencies in the readings from one head temp setup to the next. Which one can you trust? Then, I read a post where an aircraft mechanic experimented with sensors under the plugs and attached to the outside of the head. The result was a temp difference of only few degrees and the reaction time was a few seconds slower. Hey, for 25 bucks, at least I have an idea of my head temps and don't have to fiddle with sensors under the plugs, etc.
+Quote Post
Michelj13
post Dec 13 2012, 06:33 PM
Post #40

Some good progress over the last few weeks. Finally got the hard lines throught the tunnel installed, along with fuel pump under tank with wiring to the relay board. The fuel filter secured to the firewall and short lines going up to the engine bay. Pulled carbs, manifolds and linkage out too. Photos coming shortly.

I spent some time playing with the idle valve. I am driving it with a TIP 120 transistor. Lots to learn with this selecting frequency, duty cycle, figuring what is normal and inverted, etc.

Its almost time to address the VE table. Does anyone have a msq file I could use as a baseline to tune my 2270?
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:11 AM