Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-4 Gas Burner Mahle (4) bolt Wheels., Powder Coated with a Silver Metalic color.
TJB/914
post Sep 18 2012, 07:35 AM
Post #21

Mid-Engn.

Group: Members
Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 17 2012, 08:43 PM) *

Bliz,
Can you describe the process used? These aren't flat pieces of metal. Kinda like to know - softening my opinion of this process.

Also, and I have no experience with Mahles, were the backsides finished the same as the front ....from the factory?
Pat

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 18 2012, 12:25 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 17 2012, 05:17 PM) *

Paint is any liquid, liquefiable, or mastic composition which, after application to a substrate in a thin layer, is converted to a solid film.

True, but the judges won't give a crap about that. If the finish looks like the original finish, they'll be happy. If it looks different, you'll get dinged. The method used to achieve the finish is almost irrelevant.

--DD

Pat, Dave & others.
I started with a really nice set of Mahle wheels so I inspected them carefully for a factory finish. It appeared to be some kind of anodized finished all over the entire wheel. I went to a local shop for a price to anodize them and they quoted a min of $150.00 per wheel. Too expensive, so I took them to Fred my high school buddy who owns a powdercoating business. Fred looked them over and said he can duplicate the factory finish with a Silver Metalic finish that looks factory for $80.00 bucks each. First they sand blast with a grab profile for the powder to stick too. Then it goes into the furnace to bake @ 400 degrees. My wheels have the same look/finish as on my business car 2012 FORD Fusion SEL. Next time you see one look at the wheel finish. Mine look the same & they look like the original factory finish/color in my opinion. I agree with Dave the judges will not ding you for this finish.

Tom

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
cary
post Sep 18 2012, 02:36 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Just a note:

Seems $80 is the going rate to bead blast and powder coat wheels. That's what I pay here in Portland.
+Quote Post
championgt1
post Sep 18 2012, 09:55 PM
Post #23

Don't embarrass me Filmore!

Member No.: 7,420
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Those look amazing! I should do this to mine instead of spray paint.
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Sep 19 2012, 02:05 PM
Post #24

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

......Dig'n on that process myself....cool man! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Sep 19 2012, 06:31 PM
Post #25

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Sep 18 2012, 07:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 17 2012, 08:43 PM) *

Bliz,
Can you describe the process used? These aren't flat pieces of metal. Kinda like to know - softening my opinion of this process.

Also, and I have no experience with Mahles, were the backsides finished the same as the front ....from the factory?
Pat

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 18 2012, 12:25 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 17 2012, 05:17 PM) *

Paint is any liquid, liquefiable, or mastic composition which, after application to a substrate in a thin layer, is converted to a solid film.

True, but the judges won't give a crap about that. If the finish looks like the original finish, they'll be happy. If it looks different, you'll get dinged. The method used to achieve the finish is almost irrelevant.

--DD

Pat, Dave & others.
I started with a really nice set of Mahle wheels so I inspected them carefully for a factory finish. It appeared to be some kind of anodized finished all over the entire wheel. I went to a local shop for a price to anodize them and they quoted a min of $150.00 per wheel. Too expensive, so I took them to Fred my high school buddy who owns a powdercoating business. Fred looked them over and said he can duplicate the factory finish with a Silver Metalic finish that looks factory for $80.00 bucks each. First they sand blast with a grab profile for the powder to stick too. Then it goes into the furnace to bake @ 400 degrees. My wheels have the same look/finish as on my business car 2012 FORD Fusion SEL. Next time you see one look at the wheel finish. Mine look the same & they look like the original factory finish/color in my opinion. I agree with Dave the judges will not ding you for this finish.

Tom

Have to disagree. Though they're gorgeous, contemporary Parade judges will spot them immediately as non-anodized. But it doesn't matter - your 914 will attract much attention. Good luck. Pat
+Quote Post
CMONNETT
post Sep 19 2012, 07:40 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 8,162

Not necessarily, there was a 914 entered in the concours at the 2004 parade in Ft Worth in the preservation class that had a full restoration and the judges didn't catch it. Until someone from the local region the car was from mentioned it.
+Quote Post
kerensky
post Sep 19 2012, 11:14 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 5,508

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Sep 17 2012, 07:20 AM) *
If memory serves me, the 4 bolt Mahle's were a '74 to '76 option. If your car is a '74, go for it.
Mahle's were available in '73 as well. My '73 came with Mahles (It's a 1.7 with the full appearance group)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 12:53 PM