Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Fresh air fan woes, Chasing electical Gremlins
nine9three
post Sep 21 2012, 11:44 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,946
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I've done an extensive search on Fans but the questions don't really help me in my situation. First off the fan does not work. I do have power to the fan Rd/Wht wire. But here is where it gets strange. The three control setting wires Wht ones all have power at the switch (control lever). I thought these were ground wires? If they are ground, how would the power return back to the switch? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 2)
toolguy
post Sep 21 2012, 12:31 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,889
Region Association: Southern California

You've got it right, just thinking wrong. . the blower has constant power applied from the fuses. . the switch connects one of 3 grounds back to the motor, depending on the motor speed selected. . so Yes, you will read battery, thru the motor windings, and coming into the switch on the 3 white leads. . grounding those leads is what completes the circuit. . see the brown ground strap from one of the terminals on the switch ? That needs constant good ground and is what is connected thru the switch wiper contacts and on to the white wires. .
By the way they are not all white. .
one is solid white, one is white/ yel trace and one is white / green trace IIRC

If you have a good ground and the motor doesn't run, I'd say your going to have to pull the blower assy and air box out. . the motor bearings freeze up from dirt and age and not being used and get hard to spin. . that will put a large electrical load on the wires and fuse. . worse case is you'll blow the fuse or melt wires/
Bad part is you have to pull the gas tank to get the air box out..
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Sep 23 2012, 01:51 PM
Post #3

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

take out the ashtray and shine a light down inside the tray hole. you'll see the contact slide fingers. prob give that area a good cleaning first esp the bottom side of the fingers. fold a fine emory paper, slide it between the fingers and run the dash side controls b&f a few times.

k
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 01:59 AM