Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Starting question
partwerks
post Sep 23 2012, 08:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,787

I was wondering if someone could help shed some light on a fickle starting question on my 2004 WRX Subie engine.

It has this fickle problem that appears to be related to being warmed up every so often.
Off and on, after being warmed up, it won’t start again until a person waits about 15 minutes and it will start back up.
The fuel pressure is at 40 when pump primes, and 40 when cranking over when it is acting up and not starting.

My electrician advised me that when it doesn’t want to start, to spray and small amount of starting fluid at the air filter to see if it will start, thus determining if it is a fuel problem or a electrical problem.

When doing that it, will start.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lester7410
post Oct 1 2012, 03:43 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 14,990
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 23 2012, 10:39 PM) *

I was wondering if someone could help shed some light on a fickle starting question on my 2004 WRX Subie engine.

It has this fickle problem that appears to be related to being warmed up every so often.
Off and on, after being warmed up, it won’t start again until a person waits about 15 minutes and it will start back up.
The fuel pressure is at 40 when pump primes, and 40 when cranking over when it is acting up and not starting.

My electrician advised me that when it doesn’t want to start, to spray and small amount of starting fluid at the air filter to see if it will start, thus determining if it is a fuel problem or a electrical problem.

I can,t specifically address the Subie engine, but you have a fuel problem.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 1 2012, 03:49 PM
Post #3

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

are you running the original 914 tranny and starter; the original power relay board? in other woids, what's OEM and what's been Subyfied?
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Oct 1 2012, 04:22 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,154
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Do you have a wiring diagram or schematic of this setup. What year is this suby engine, does it have the fly by wire setup?
+Quote Post
benalishhero
post Oct 1 2012, 05:46 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,384

Perhaps the comma is in the wrong spot in the last phrase?

If the car starts with starting fluid, you have a fuel delivery problem......
+Quote Post
914itis
post Oct 1 2012, 06:10 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,256

"My electrician advised me that when it doesn’t want to start" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 10:07 PM