Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Build Thread - 73 restoration/learning project, Rust repair time
Tilly74
post Sep 26 2012, 04:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,522
Region Association: None

Hi, my name is Blake and I'm new.

This is "Betty" my 84 944, with some Fuchs wheels I wish I had now...This is the car that started it all. And yes that's Mid-Ohio, near where I'm from originally - Columbus, OH.

Attached Image

I live in Springfield, MO now, and work at a Yamaha motorcycle dealership right off of Classick Route 66.

By some miracle I traded an old Yamaha motorcycle for a 73 914 as pictured below.

Attached Image

I've been browsing this forum and have viewed what I believe to be a good majority of the threads, and I'm ready to get started!

Here are a few more pictures of the car and what I do know about it:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Engine: 1.7, aftermarket exhaust, single carb, used to have a/c. Starts and runs great. It's my first 914, but I was expecting a lot less than what this motor can do! My first time on the freeway I caught myself approaching 90 before I knew it. It's leaky though. It's almost ridiculous.

Transmission: all gears work, some grinding between, but can be avoided if you're careful.

Body/Frame: Sigh...it's a rebuilt salvage title, so it's been re-done post accident. I inspected it to the best of my ability prior to purchase and found no major issues, but upon closer inspection, may in fact need some rust repair. I'm hoping to learn to weld on this car, so bring it on.

Suspension: Not terrible. A little soft and boat like for my taste, but overall impressions were that it wasn't needing anything drastic immediately.

After an entire summer of putting it off, I finally got started. Ripped the interior out, found some homemade floor stiffening metal work, but overall not too much rust. We'll see what it looks like after I wire wheel everything. Pictures to come.

And I finally worked up the courage to tackle the motor pull. I felt completely crazy pulling a good running motor out of a vehicle, but figured it would be good for me and would help me learn the car a lot more quickly. It was a lot easier than I thought and I only needed a little help from my fiance.

Up went the car and in went the creeper:

Attached Image

4 hours and one trip to autozone for a 12pt CV Joint tool later, and out came this:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Plans for the car right now would be to clean up and seal up the drive train, address electrical issues, rebuild interior, new wheels, and paint someday, but ultimately its gonna be a daily/fair weather driver. I don't want to sink too much into something with a rebuilt salvage title. I may use this one as a donor vehicle for a clean title 914.

That's all for now, but hopefully this turns into some sort of build thread.

ANY information you can give me based on what you see is greatly appreciated!!! I'll take all the motivation and help I can get. I have ADHD that's untreated right now, so don't feel bad about bugging me for updates as I don't really have anybody encouraging or motivating me.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 26 2012, 05:14 PM
Post #2

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) How bout some shots of the Hell Hole, battery tray, jack points, longs, both trunks. We're picture junkies because a lot of us can't read.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 26 2012, 05:22 PM
Post #3

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) If you've got a boat that carb makes a good anchor! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 26 2012, 05:26 PM
Post #4

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

"Body/Frame: Sigh...it's a rebuilt salvage title, so it's been re-done post accident. I inspected it to the best of my ability prior to purchase and found no major issues, but upon closer inspection, may in fact need some rust repair. I'm hoping to learn to weld on this car, so bring it on."

Not necessarily. Some insurance companies will not bother with the towing and storage post theft, it could have been in a hail storm. Lots of other reasons that might make it less ominous. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Sep 26 2012, 05:34 PM
Post #5

Speed Up !!!

Member No.: 8,696
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Looks like mine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

that engine could use a bit of love. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Sep 26 2012, 05:45 PM
Post #6

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
seanery
post Sep 26 2012, 05:57 PM
Post #7

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

+Quote Post
turk22
post Sep 26 2012, 06:25 PM
Post #8

Treetop Flyer

Member No.: 14,725
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Why do all 914 engines have leaves and crap all over them???
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Sep 26 2012, 06:30 PM
Post #9

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

.....WELCOME.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 26 2012, 06:32 PM
Post #10

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Sep 26 2012, 06:35 PM
Post #11

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156

Welcome. Please add the VIN to the database and Happy 914ing!
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Sep 26 2012, 09:00 PM
Post #12

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
TargaToy
post Sep 26 2012, 09:07 PM
Post #13

-NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO-

Member No.: 11,509
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Welcome! Can't wait to see progress.

...was yer heat working???
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Sep 26 2012, 09:13 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,154
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Yah, dump that carb
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Sep 26 2012, 10:20 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Good score! Welcome aboard!
+Quote Post
mittelmotor
post Sep 26 2012, 10:52 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 14,464

Welcome! Good progress on pulling the engine. I'm a big fan of the 944 as well..here's my S2 at Buttonwillow about 10 years ago:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i251.photobucket.com-14464-1348721558.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
jeeperjohn56
post Sep 27 2012, 05:07 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 6,407

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) For all your seals and other good stuff 914Rubber, pelican parts, GPR parts,and if you can't find something here on the world there is also AA. Good luck on your car. John (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Bob L.
post Sep 27 2012, 09:13 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 13,411

P.S. what size 12pt bit did you use for the CV's? I need one, I'm about to swap my engine.
+Quote Post
Tilly74
post Sep 27 2012, 09:57 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 14,522

Thanks for all of the encouraging words. I'll hopefully get pictures of everything important this weekend and get cleaning. I have a full bottle of purple power and plenty of time.

I'll probably just keep this motor as it is, fix the leaks, check the "cooling system" and then run it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) All the while, I'll be saving/searching for a 2.0, or parts to convert to a 2.0.

From what I understand the 1.7 with a single carb is about as bad as it can get power wise. If that's the case, then I'm really excited, because I thought it was great! Granted this 914 is the first I've ever ridden in/or driven, and only the second one I've ever seen in real life. As long as I don't ride in anything faster than mine, I should be okay for a while lol. I'm definitely not opposed to a subie or chevy swap, but it would have to be cheap. If I'm going to spend a lot of $$ I want a 914-6. I'm gonna have to sell a lot more bikes to make that happen!

Speaking of motorcycles...I get a pretty good discount on parts and accessories.

Will trade discounts on motorcycle parts and accessories, OEM Yamaha, or aftermarket anything for $$ in my paypal, even small amounts, or 914 parts of course.

For example: If you need a new tire, online you may find it for 229.99, I may be able to get it for 145, with shipping 160, you put $10 in my paypal, we call it a day! I make 10, you save 70 and everybody's happy! Free quotes of course!!!

"...was yer heat working???"

-Nope, it was all a mess all homemade repairs, riveted, duct taped, nothing worked electrically, I pulled all of it, not intending to re-install. Without Heat exchangers, it seemed like a lost cause. I'd rather have exhaust than heat exchangers. I'm planning on refurbishing the fresh air controls and installing seat heaters when I re-cover the seats. Springfield, MO is fairly mild climate wise. Our winter last year rarely dipped below 55, while our summer featured over 3 months of 90+ temps daily. I'm more concerned with air conditioning honestly. I know it's a controversial topic around here, but I've already got a hole in the front trunk and half an a/c setup. And I have allergies, so sometimes I need to be cool and out of the elements.

"P.S. what size 12pt bit did you use for the CV's? I need one, I'm about to swap my engine."

- I found a post somewhere on here saying you could find them at auto zone. Sure enough, they had a set in stock at my local store. Here's a Link, Part number is 25015, alternate part number is 108 and they are $12.99. I believe the size I used was 6mm, but it came in a set of 4 so I didn't need to know the size before buying.

I don't have any pictures for this post, but here's one of my favorite Porsche related videos of all time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2InbhpdYJI

+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Sep 27 2012, 11:45 AM
Post #20

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

Anyone else notice the motor... no timing inspection hole, dipstick location, etc. Bus motor? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Oh and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:51 PM