Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Flywheel for 914-6 - Use existing or buy new?
patssle
post Sep 30 2012, 06:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,741
Region Association: None

I have a 3.0L (separated from a 915) that I will be connecting to my 901 trans to install into the 914. I know the two options are to use the current 3.0L flywheel and get the KEP ring-gear. The other option is to just buy a new KEP flywheel that has the ring-gear already on it. I am running carbs so I do NOT need any sensors/timing.

Are there any reasons why one is better than the other? A new flywheel is slightly (not much) more expensive, but you get a whole new flywheel. The 911 clutch is slightly larger (228mm) but the Stage II 914 KEP clutch is 215mm but seems more than adequate (270 ft. lbs. of torque).

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Oct 1 2012, 01:02 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

All the 911 3.0L's used a pull clutch, not a push clutch like our 914's use.

That means you might have to convert your 901 trans to use a pull clutch, if you go with the 3.0L flywheel and kennedy ring gear.

Not something I know but something you should check into.

Jim

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Larry.Hubby
post Oct 1 2012, 02:13 AM
Post #3

Member who doesn't post much, but has a long time in 914s

Member No.: 3,172
Region Association: Northern California

The 901 transmissions in our 914s use a pull clutch too. The plastic pulley mounted to the side of the case reverses the direction of the clutch cable pull to allow the use of the same basic clutch throwout mechanism used by the 911 901 boxes. The 915 transmission used with the 3.0 911 engines also used a pull mechanism, but had a over-center helper spring down on the transmission and also one on the clutch pedal to make the effort required to operate the clutch more uniform over its travel. Only the '72-'73 911 901 boxes used a push mechanism to operate the clutch. It is possible to adapt that linkage to the 914. Stoddard did that on his 914-6 that was described in one of the "Up-fixen der Porsche" books from the PCA. Most people who have gone to larger 911 engines in their 914s have just stayed with the standard 914 clutch linkage, which works fine.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 1 2012, 05:55 AM
Post #4

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I'm looking for a good flywheel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

The guys are right and the Kennedy clutch (pressure plate) supplied in the 9-bolt 3.0-3.2 kit is bigger than the 215mm Stage II 914 KEP pressure plate which is for the 6-bolt flywheel.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Oct 1 2012, 07:04 AM
Post #5

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

It's been several years, but KEP did make a kit with a push type pressure plate, that included a special ring gear, and throw out bearing. With this kit you did not have to convert to a pull clutch.

It was a heavier pressure plate, so you'll want to reinforce the clutch tube, which is a good thing to do anyway. I had a special hydraulic clutch set up put together.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 10:39 AM