Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flywheel for 914-6 - Use existing or buy new?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
patssle
I have a 3.0L (separated from a 915) that I will be connecting to my 901 trans to install into the 914. I know the two options are to use the current 3.0L flywheel and get the KEP ring-gear. The other option is to just buy a new KEP flywheel that has the ring-gear already on it. I am running carbs so I do NOT need any sensors/timing.

Are there any reasons why one is better than the other? A new flywheel is slightly (not much) more expensive, but you get a whole new flywheel. The 911 clutch is slightly larger (228mm) but the Stage II 914 KEP clutch is 215mm but seems more than adequate (270 ft. lbs. of torque).

Thanks!
jcd914
All the 911 3.0L's used a pull clutch, not a push clutch like our 914's use.

That means you might have to convert your 901 trans to use a pull clutch, if you go with the 3.0L flywheel and kennedy ring gear.

Not something I know but something you should check into.

Jim

Larry.Hubby
The 901 transmissions in our 914s use a pull clutch too. The plastic pulley mounted to the side of the case reverses the direction of the clutch cable pull to allow the use of the same basic clutch throwout mechanism used by the 911 901 boxes. The 915 transmission used with the 3.0 911 engines also used a pull mechanism, but had a over-center helper spring down on the transmission and also one on the clutch pedal to make the effort required to operate the clutch more uniform over its travel. Only the '72-'73 911 901 boxes used a push mechanism to operate the clutch. It is possible to adapt that linkage to the 914. Stoddard did that on his 914-6 that was described in one of the "Up-fixen der Porsche" books from the PCA. Most people who have gone to larger 911 engines in their 914s have just stayed with the standard 914 clutch linkage, which works fine.
Mark Henry
I'm looking for a good flywheel wink.gif

The guys are right and the Kennedy clutch (pressure plate) supplied in the 9-bolt 3.0-3.2 kit is bigger than the 215mm Stage II 914 KEP pressure plate which is for the 6-bolt flywheel.
IronHillRestorations
It's been several years, but KEP did make a kit with a push type pressure plate, that included a special ring gear, and throw out bearing. With this kit you did not have to convert to a pull clutch.

It was a heavier pressure plate, so you'll want to reinforce the clutch tube, which is a good thing to do anyway. I had a special hydraulic clutch set up put together.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.