Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Let's talk about "being stock" vs "having the car you want"
MDG
post Oct 16 2012, 12:26 PM
Post #21

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,018
Region Association: None

I have one of each. An all original '73 and a hot-rod GT car.

The 73 I purchased from the original owner. He had done a remarkable job of preserving it with the exception of a poorly done repaint (at least in the original colour) back in the late 80's. When I bought it I knew it needed to be be repainted so I completely took it apart, took the shell down to the metal, fixed the very minor rust areas and had it once again shot in it's proper Phoenix Red. I did not find a single non-original part on the car. The only things changed were parts that were damaged. And I spent a couple of years (and way too much money) sourcing NOS parts to replace the few items that needed it.

The '76 was in really tough shape, some awful prior bodywork, paint that was flaking off, the interior was a mess and the 2.0 had already been blown and replaced with a 1.8 . . . yeah, I had zero issues using it as the tub to "build the car I want." In fact, that's exactly why I bought it.

If I was to only have one? That's not an easy answer for me but I tend to think I'd keep the '73. But maybe not. No - I would. Maybe. -ish.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

I'd better keep both.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
turk22
post Oct 16 2012, 01:29 PM
Post #22

Treetop Flyer

Member No.: 14,725
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'm in same boat as Scoop.

I had a 914 in the mid 80's, and did everything 'wrong' with that car, took off the FI, replaced with single carb, low budget wheels and tires. I just didn't know any better, and there was no internet to resource to help me out.

So now I have a 99% original 73 2.0L and I'm trying to decide which is an acceptable usabiity upgrade (like a petronix ignition vs the points) or something that may well lower the cars value in years to come, instead of improve it.

I've heard some people talk about the car's 'patina' but it just looks tired to me. It needs new seat covers and carpet, the dash is badly cracked, the paint is... tired. But all that stuff is original.

So I'll decide as I go, but my plan is to from an engine standpoint, keep it fairly stock for the time being, and see if I can live with it. I'll freshen the interior because by the time I'm ready to part with it, it have that patina again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Having two is a cool option, and believe me part of me would love a 914-8, but that kinda is not realistic for me at this point.

Turk
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Oct 16 2012, 02:13 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

I "freshen" my interior this year and it has really made a big difference! Got rid on my outdated cassette player for old school radio!

QUOTE(turk22 @ Oct 16 2012, 03:29 PM) *

I'm in same boat as Scoop.

I had a 914 in the mid 80's, and did everything 'wrong' with that car, took off the FI, replaced with single carb, low budget wheels and tires. I just didn't know any better, and there was no internet to resource to help me out.

So now I have a 99% original 73 2.0L and I'm trying to decide which is an acceptable usabiity upgrade (like a petronix ignition vs the points) or something that may well lower the cars value in years to come, instead of improve it.

I've heard some people talk about the car's 'patina' but it just looks tired to me. It needs new seat covers and carpet, the dash is badly cracked, the paint is... tired. But all that stuff is original.

So I'll decide as I go, but my plan is to from an engine standpoint, keep it fairly stock for the time being, and see if I can live with it. I'll freshen the interior because by the time I'm ready to part with it, it have that patina again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Having two is a cool option, and believe me part of me would love a 914-8, but that kinda is not realistic for me at this point.

Turk
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 16 2012, 02:29 PM
Post #24

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

mine will never be show cars, and that goes for everyone of them except maybe the 356....
Everything else I have no guilt about customizing to my needs and desire...then I actually enjoy driving them.

Rich
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Oct 16 2012, 03:54 PM
Post #25

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I built the car I wanted.
Then I changed it.
Then I changed it.
Then I changed it.

Its still the "car I wanted" but I keep changing it and have not driven it in nearly 2 years. Boooo!

Zach
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Oct 16 2012, 04:08 PM
Post #26

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

Cars are like sex. For some the missionary position is all they need. Other people want more. Then they get old and for a lot of them it's all missionary again. Others never go back. So who's right? Who's wrong? Who knows? Who cares? But just like sex what you do is your business, not mine.
+Quote Post
naro914
post Oct 16 2012, 04:35 PM
Post #27

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073

I believe in keeping the cars bone stock...like mine are... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 16 2012, 04:39 PM
Post #28

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(naro914 @ Oct 16 2012, 06:35 PM) *

I believe in keeping the cars bone stock...like mine are... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 16 2012, 04:57 PM
Post #29

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

I've never been able to not tinker with something....

Hell I unbolted the rear muffler off of Jerikas new car while she was asleep because I couldnt take it any longer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
ScoopLV
post Oct 16 2012, 05:01 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 14,897
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 16 2012, 03:08 PM) *

Cars are like sex. For some the missionary position is all they need. Other people want more. Then they get old and for a lot of them it's all missionary again. Others never go back. So who's right? Who's wrong? Who knows? Who cares? But just like sex what you do is your business, not mine.

I disagree with the analogy. It would be more like, "if you try a new position, you can never go back to missionary -- you're now stuck with that position." Or something like that.

I wouldn't exactly call stock 914s "plentiful." There's still enough of them that someone can buy one for not a whole lot of money. My new toy is a perfect case in point. But as more and more people rip out the four cylinder engine and replace it with a Suby or SBC, and as more and more people weld in flares and change the suspension to a 911 RSR, it will be harder and harder to find a "vanilla" 914.

It's probably a good thing that I was strapped for cash as a kid. Otherwise, I would have turned my 914 into something that belonged on the cover of VW Porsche magazine (are they even still in print?). It seemed back then that everyone wanted a Chalon body kit and the interior out of a 911SC.

I think I find myself agreeing with one of the general consensuses that if you're going to mod the hell out of a 914, buy a beater or one that has already been modded. Although I can certainly see the point of the "it's your car, do what you want," I think we're approaching the point with these cars that we're just caretakers for the next generation.

Of course, as more and more people turn their 914s into V8 screamers, my cherry teener will become more and more rare, and thus more and more valuable.

Erm...

Uh...

Oops, I've been looking at this the wrong way. Mod away! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Oct 16 2012, 06:07 PM
Post #31

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

My car has that patina being discussed earlier, and it was much more popular at the last couple of Porsche shows than I would have imagined. It is also very close to stock, which is not really what I want. However, it also needs the hell hole fixed, new paint, AND it is a '75 1.8. Even if prices go through the roof, the '75 1.8 will always be at the bottom of everyone's wish list. Therefore, I don't feel too bad about all of the modifications I am going to make when I have the time and the funds.
+Quote Post
raw1298
post Oct 16 2012, 08:20 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 10,148

Mine was a wrecked rolling chasis one day from the crusher, I'm doing what I want! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 16 2012, 08:27 PM
Post #33

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

I bought on already modified. I can't leave well enough alone...

If I had an all original 914, I may leave it like that. Not sure...

I had a 65 mustang that was so original, I felt I had to restore it to stock, original condition. At the same time a I had a 69 Dodge Super Bee set up as a pro touring car. I prefer to go fast and stop fast! A stock 914 does not fit that bill 100%...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
naro914
post Oct 16 2012, 08:31 PM
Post #34

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073

QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 16 2012, 06:39 PM) *

QUOTE(naro914 @ Oct 16 2012, 06:35 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

You laugh?

On Huey, the windshield, side mirrors, doors, front/rear/engine decklids, dashboard, and chassis are stock.

On Papa Smurf, the dashboard....and...um... oh hell, never mind. Well, if you're going to nit pick here, I guess my definition of Bone Stock and yours are a bit different now aren't they?
+Quote Post
speed metal army
post Oct 16 2012, 09:16 PM
Post #35

Waiting for the rain to stop...

Member No.: 12,137
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 16 2012, 07:27 PM) *

I bought on already modified. I can't leave well enough alone...

If I had an all original 914, I may leave it like that. Not sure...

I had a 65 mustang that was so original, I felt I had to restore it to stock, original condition. At the same time a I had a 69 Dodge Super Bee set up as a pro touring car. I prefer to go fast and stop fast! A stock 914 does not fit that bill 100%...

Attached Image

This is wrong.This car couldnt possibly be more fun than a bone stock 914.Change it back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
larryM
post Oct 16 2012, 09:42 PM
Post #36

emoze

Member No.: 65

re: Porsche personalization (a.k.a hotrodding)

Automobilemag.com - August 2010 - ("R_Gruppe - Bad Boy Porsches"):

" ... it's worth remembering that Porsche was founded as a manufacturer of nothing but sports cars, and racing has always been part of its DNA. ....

Porsche published manuals that detailed exactly how they (privateers) could modify their cars to maximize performance.

Porsche titled the books, ""Information Regarding PORSCHE Vehicles Used for Sports Purposes."

In America, of course, we call this hot-rodding. ....

Huergas (says) " Those sports-purpose manuals told me that I could do anything I wanted."

. hotrodding Porsches

fyi - 914 references: Porsche publication ""Information Regarding PORSCHE Vehicles Used for Sports Purposes. 4890.20-200-03-72 2. Edition from Model 1970" and "Ersatzteilliste Marz 1970 Best. Nr. 6024.14"

+Quote Post
RickS
post Oct 16 2012, 10:14 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 5,880

I swear this is a repeat question from the 911 boards about 10 years ago.

My teener came pre-modded, with a 2.0 rather than a 1.7, Fuchs instead of steals. sails off, non-original wheel, rear reflector, and Porsche crest on front hood, Appbiz carpeting, and a big woofer in the consol and more. So, there was nothing to preserve.

So I decided to build a mild resto-mod which would meet my needs. So out came the 2.0 and in came the 3.0. the tail shifter gave way to a side unit. the rear fenders were mildly flaired to accomodate 7" 5 lug Fuchs, '72 911S alloy front calipers, front oil cooler, new seats an back pad, sliding passanger seat, chasis reinforcement kits and blah blah.

The car scoots, corners even better, and gets plenty of looks. As for value of a modded car, I was offered 30K for it and happily turned it down. I want to enjoy if for a while and perhaps make it more to my taste.
+Quote Post
ScoopLV
post Oct 16 2012, 10:26 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 14,897
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(RickS @ Oct 16 2012, 09:14 PM) *

I swear this is a repeat question from the 911 boards about 10 years ago.

My teener came pre-modded, with a 2.0 rather than a 1.7, Fuchs instead of steals. sails off, non-original wheel, rear reflector, and Porsche crest on front hood, Appbiz carpeting, and a big woofer in the consol and more. So, there was nothing to preserve.

So I decided to build a mild resto-mod which would meet my needs. So out came the 2.0 and in came the 3.0. the tail shifter gave way to a side unit. the rear fenders were mildly flaired to accomodate 7" 5 lug Fuchs, '72 911S alloy front calipers, front oil cooler, new seats an back pad, sliding passanger seat, chasis reinforcement kits and blah blah.

The car scoots, corners even better, and gets plenty of looks. As for value of a modded car, I was offered 30K for it and happily turned it down. I want to enjoy if for a while and perhaps make it more to my taste.

That sounds excellent. But I have a feeling when the "go faster" bug bites me, I'll just buy a 911SC cabrio and go to town on that. That way I already have the 911 brakes, wheels and suspension. I've seen some nice SCs going for cheap around here.
+Quote Post
RickS
post Oct 16 2012, 10:45 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 5,880

Yup you can buy a nice SC between 15 and 22K with all the bells and whistles and it will be a lot more comfortable too. I wanted a 914-6 for the pure driving dynamics that only a middey can provide, but driving a 911 well gives a whole different level of satisfaction. I have owned a couple of early 911s and they are great. Good luck on your quest.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Oct 17 2012, 08:25 AM
Post #40

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Obviously I'm all for building the car like you want it.
But, when I did buy my car I got one that was already running a carb'd 4-cyl and had some other minor mods on it. That made it OK in my mind to go all out and do what I wanted.

11+ years later I'm finally getting around to doing it.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 11:36 AM