Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Let's talk about "being stock" vs "having the car you want"
Cupomeat
post Oct 17 2012, 08:46 AM
Post #41

missing my NY 914 in VA

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Yeah, I have this sort of "perfection paralysis" as well, if you can call stock "perfect"...

On my 914 I've restored it to a close to stock state and can't imagine doing ANY serious mod, especially things like carbs or anything that take more time from driving.

On my 993, it is so clean and pretty that I won't alter anything that isn't a wear item or can't be put back to stock in no time.

Heck, my last house in NJ was built in 1941 and was of such incredibly fantastic workmanship and quality that I had a hard time putting holes in the lovely walls or replace the original elgin steel kitchen cabinets.

I suppose I need to get over that all and worry less.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Oct 17 2012, 03:00 PM
Post #42

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

In my opinion, a car that is perfectly stock is a rare find indeed. It is very rare to find one that hasn't had foolish modifications or a repaint to a different color. If you want to do a heavily modded car, sell the original one for a profit and buy one that is already headed to modded direction. Above all though do whatever you want with it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Oct 17 2012, 04:21 PM
Post #43

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I bought my 914 with all the malice of foresight! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) I had always intended to put in a 911/6 of some kind in there, and steel flares.

I did want to keep the original color, though, after I saw how the New Mexico sun and sunsets made the Phoenix Red color so beautiful. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

I even kept the original seats, though I had them bolstered. Steering wheel had to go, I'm too big for stock. Rennshift as well.

Having said that, the custom tail lights Joe O'Brien did are fantastic, as is the magic he's working with the upgraded 3.2. Yeah, this is a driver's car, through and through.

When the opportunity presented itself financially, and Joe described to me the options and benefits, I decided I wanted 2000's technology with an 80's Porsche flat six, in my 70's Porsche-VW chassis. So yeah, I did what I wanted. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Jgilliam914
post Oct 17 2012, 04:57 PM
Post #44

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Ive had 2 914s one was completely stock and the other one never was while i have owned it.

I felt that with having one bone stock that it was my duty to preserve.

The other was my toy, the one I played with the one I autocrossed and have changed virtually every component on the car.

I no longer have the original one but I am drawn to ones that still are.

I would love a numbers matching 6 with a 110 hp to take into my old age but a 1.7 with a appearance package could easily suffice.
+Quote Post
bembry
post Oct 17 2012, 06:22 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 4,499

I like the stock look. Mine started out thrashed with a bunch of non-stock parts (worn out rivieras, cut door panels, hole in the dash, homemade carpet, destroyed center console, cheapie aftermarket steering wheel, antenna, and mirror, and cracked fiberglass from air dam) and a horrible oxidized maroon respray.

I took it back to stock light ivory with a cheap paint job, got stock fuchs alloys, a stock steering wheel, period Becker radio, and better back pad and door panels, and center console out of the junkyard. The departure from stock right now is the 2056 with dual carbs. I did save the stock FI and associated parts though.

I'm slowly going back to what I think my car should be, which in my case is mainly stock. Interior, rubber weather seals, and better paint job are down the road. Mikey's fiberglass bumper tops are on order. I also found a stock front valence, and put a dash cap on. I don't mind using things like the dash cap and fiberglass bumper tops. This car will never be concours.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i269.photobucket.com-4499-1350519731.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i269.photobucket.com-4499-1350519731.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i269.photobucket.com-4499-1350519732.3.jpg)
+Quote Post
rex66m
post Oct 17 2012, 06:28 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 13,393
Region Association: None

I am in the stock, but to each his own. I have certainly seen some performance mods that look appealing.

One thing you can say about stock (especially re: appearance), on a good car it always stands the test of time.
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Oct 17 2012, 06:35 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

Wow! Looks like Cujo got a hold of the driver's seat! My teener seats were fried too but I was very fortunate to find newly upholstered seats on Craiglist! I was very lucky. Putting it back to stock is neat! It takes time and a lot of green!

QUOTE(bembry @ Oct 17 2012, 08:22 PM) *

I like the stock look. Mine started out thrashed with a bunch of non-stock parts (worn out rivieras, cut door panels, hole in the dash, homemade carpet, destroyed center console, cheapie aftermarket steering wheel, antenna, and mirror, and cracked fiberglass from air dam) and a horrible oxidized maroon respray.

I took it back to stock light ivory with a cheap paint job, got stock fuchs alloys, a stock steering wheel, period Becker radio, and better back pad and door panels, and center console out of the junkyard. The departure from stock right now is the 2056 with dual carbs. I did save the stock FI and associated parts though.

I'm slowly going back to what I think my car should be, which in my case is mainly stock. Interior, rubber weather seals, and better paint job are down the road. Mikey's fiberglass bumper tops are on order. I also found a stock front valence, and put a dash cap on. I don't mind using things like the dash cap and fiberglass bumper tops. This car will never be concours.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i269.photobucket.com-4499-1350519731.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i269.photobucket.com-4499-1350519731.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i269.photobucket.com-4499-1350519732.3.jpg)

+Quote Post
bembry
post Oct 17 2012, 07:17 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 4,499

Yeah--the seat is pretty rough. Seat covers from well known place are $200 extra for corduroy inserts which I want--yikes.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Oct 17 2012, 07:45 PM
Post #49

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

For me it was all about having the car i want....had a stock one for 30 years.
Now i have the car i always dreamed my 914 to be....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
somd914
post Oct 17 2012, 08:41 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 12,741

There is no right or wrong in my opinion, nor do I believe 914s will ever be in the big buck range even for "stock" specimens.

I appreciate the few stock 914s I've seen, but they are not something I want to own - I'll stick with my 2056, 5 bolt Fuchs, lowered suspension, body-color targa top, 904 multi-guage, Momo wheel, custom console, fuel door inthe hood, and a few other goodies. Looking forward to more mods... But do what makes you happy, that's what matters.
+Quote Post
CCE
post Feb 17 2023, 12:07 AM
Post #51

CCE

Member No.: 26,203
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

I like very much the stock design of the 74 US spec car, but I definitely do like more the euro versions, without the side markers and thick bumper guards, add the 5 lug 16”x6” fuchs, it’s (to me) cleaner, more the original design and what I always wanted.

I respect the position of everyone, and I think your car should be what you like…

if you can do it in a way that it can be undone, maintain the essence, better.

Stock form will always be best if you need a new home for it.

Just have fun with it, and with the process.

I love my 2.2L, my 44mm twin webers, Bilstein’s, Mp3 Blaupunkt, golden Porsche lettering and specially my MOMO prototipo… which are not stock but in my mind are not far off the stock form in image.

Attached ImageAttached Image
Attached ImageAttached Image
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mihai914
post Feb 17 2023, 06:30 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 3,697

@CCE

You realize that you replied to a 10 year old thread. Many things have changed since then.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 17 2023, 08:35 AM
Post #53

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

@CCE - Your car looks great. Sending you a PM. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post Feb 17 2023, 08:35 AM
Post #54

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179
Region Association: North East States

Every car I have ever owned has been modified either by engine mods or cosmetic. I don't plan on selling the car as it it going to be passed down to my grandson. The previous owner repainted the car Guards Red, back dated the bumpers, (car is a 1975), and removed the side marker lights. I added Bilstein shocks, 19mm front torsion bars and 140 lb. springs in the rear. Rebuilt 2056 motor, Renn shifter with Tangerine racing shift linkage. SS fuel lines, 50mm throttle body, 1.5 qt. oil sump and remote cooler. Corbeau seats with 5 point harnesses, and replaced the steering wheel. Ford Mustang billett aluminum fuel door recessed in the hood Sheridan 7" rear spoiler, front badge, SS heat exchangers, and Triad dual outlet muffler. No going back to stock here!

[attachment=866657]

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
CCE
post Feb 17 2023, 10:04 AM
Post #55

CCE

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 17 2023, 08:35 AM) *

@CCE - Your car looks great. Sending you a PM. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Yes
+Quote Post
Steve
post Feb 17 2023, 10:41 AM
Post #56

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

I'm happy for the guys and gals that are happy with stock cars, but I am to impatient to drive something that cannot get to 80 mph before getting on the freeway. There was a killer deal on a stock Karmann Ghia and I passed it up, because I knew I wouldn't be happy with it and have to modify it.
My first 914 back in 1980 i upgraded it to a 2.4 four. This car was rear ended and totaled on the avenue in 1981. Next car was out of college in 1986. Still have the car. Started off with a 2.7 six, then a 3.2 and next a 3.6. The brakes, suspension, flairs has also been a slow journey over time. Money and time also come into play when building your dream car. My tastes have also changed over time. I also bought a V8 914 already done. Only improvements i am making on this car is Boxster brakes and higher gearing. Maybe heating and air...
+Quote Post
CCE
post Feb 17 2023, 10:54 AM
Post #57

CCE

QUOTE(mihai914 @ Feb 17 2023, 06:30 AM) *

@CCE

You realize that you replied to a 10 year old thread. Many things have changed since then.

Yes, I was looking for ideas on how to install an amp and woofer, (not that I’m gonna, just looking around.) there are a lot of new options for smaller and more powerful accessories now.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Feb 17 2023, 11:17 AM
Post #58

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

As myself and the 914's get older, would say leave a stock 914 stock. It's why I bought an already converted 914-6. I didn't want to modify a nice, stock 914.

Others have said it, your money and time, ensure you get something you want.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
914sgofast2
post Feb 17 2023, 12:28 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 15,855

(1) If the car is totally stock & original when you acquire it, then keep it that way.

(2) If the car has has suffered the attentions of ham-fisted owners & mechanics by the time you acquire it, then apply the "My Money, My Rules" principle and make/repair the car the way you want it to be in order to suit your personal taste.
+Quote Post
pgollender
post Feb 18 2023, 08:40 AM
Post #60

Member No.: 13,281
Region Association: Northern California

For me it’s a Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde thing.
Restoring a 50 year-old fuel injected mid-engine German made sports car and getting it to run properly is every bit as fun as asking yourself …(and then doing)…What is this car really capable of becoming?
It’s like …..the 914 mid-engine layout was accidentally designed as an open source project.
My solution has been the 914 x 2 option.
I wear my pressed white shirt and slacks by day, and carry my Karambit blade under my overalls at night.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 11:34 PM