Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Let's talk about "being stock" vs "having the car you want"
ScoopLV
post Oct 15 2012, 10:11 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,897
Region Association: Southwest Region

When I was a kid I had a 914. I wanted 5-lug Fuchs, the Porsche rear reflector, the front badge. And quite frankly, if I could have done one of those ridiculous Beach Boys body kits (the kind that makes a 914 look like a Ferrari) I probably would have.

I was on a parts website, buying some side lenses, when I saw a sale on the rear reflector and put one in my cart. Then I took it out of the cart.

Why? I have a basically unmodified teener -- 99% stock. It's almost like I feel I have a responsibility to keep it stock. I'm going to upgrade the fuel lines, and the shift linkage. One's a safety issue and the other is an invisible upgrade. But I'm going to keep all the old parts so that I could "put it back to stock" if I ever wanted.

I never really liked the look of the vinyl sail. I prefer the B column to be the same color as the rest of the body. My car doesn't have sails. Obviously a previous owner agreed with me on that point. But I'm seriously thinking about putting sails back on, because, hey, that's the only thing that isn't stock on the car.

I always liked the look of having a front badge. To me, the car looks nude without a badge on the front. But that would require drilling two holes into a perfectly good hood. Sure, I could fill the holes if I ever wanted. But that's one less hood out there that's never been mucked with.

I don't really know where I'm going with this post, or even if there's a point to it. But I'd like to hear from people about the validity of "turning your car into YOUR car" vs. "there aren't many unmodified cars out there anymore, so keep it stock."

Where do you fall in that spectrum?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
5 Pages V « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(80 - 83)
914xr75
post Jan 2 2024, 09:18 AM
Post #81

Member No.: 21,996
Region Association: Southern California

I put a hood badge on my car, Euro tail lights and euro front turn signals, it had a monza exhaust and I love it. I even put a German 1973 small decorative plate in the rear window.

Oh, also a rear fog light. The car was just a project when I bought it, so I was able to make it look like my dad’s with the light ivory color and the hubcaps, then I added a few other things I really liked. I wouldn’t change a thing it’s perfect to me.
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Jan 2 2024, 09:34 AM
Post #82

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

Most of the things I’m doing had been done to the sixes, or in my opinion should have been done by the factory. Darn windshield wipers park right in my field of view. I took them off for a while. Then saw a better way.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
MikeK
post Jan 2 2024, 09:53 AM
Post #83

Member No.: 27,418
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Porsche has always been 'development over engineering'. Why else keep the same body style for decades? It's what separated them (and VW for that matter) from the constantly 'evolving' US car market.

Progressive refinement.
+Quote Post
flipb
post Jan 2 2024, 09:54 AM
Post #84

Member No.: 10,752
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Shivers @ Jan 2 2024, 10:34 AM) *

Most of the things I’m doing had been done to the sixes, or in my opinion should have been done by the factory. Darn windshield wipers park right in my field of view. I took them off for a while. Then saw a better way.

When I bought my 914 (fourteen years ago!), the wiper "park" function didn't work. They just stop moving wherever they are when you turn them off.

It's very easy to time it to shut them off when they're at their lowest position on the passenger side.

Problem solved.

(I have no idea if the failure was a result of wear or a "fix" by a PO. But it works for me!)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 11:39 AM