Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> targa top (sunroof)
bruce54
post Oct 22 2012, 04:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,608
Region Association: Northern California

My brother-in law has a targa top that has a moon roof (Fixed plexiglass), was that an option or an aftermarket thing? On a 914.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rand
post Oct 22 2012, 05:25 PM
Post #2

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

Not factory
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Oct 22 2012, 05:48 PM
Post #3

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

I just never could understand why someone would put a sunroof in a top that will come off in under 10 seconds
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
struckn
post Oct 22 2012, 06:05 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,764
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Oct 22 2012, 03:48 PM) *

I just never could understand why someone would put a sunroof in a top that will come off in under 10 seconds

+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 22 2012, 06:35 PM
Post #5

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

A picture would be good ... maybe it's a Saratoga (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Anybody remember the story about a '63 Corvair that some lady listed in a classified ad for a really cheap price?... turned out to be a '63 Corvertte that belonged to her deceased son who was killed in Nam?

"you wanna talk about old ladies that dont know what they got? listen to this. my friend jeff told me about a buddy he worked with who likes to buy older cars (50s-70s era) and fix them up and sell them. his buddy saw an ad in the paper listing a 63 corvair for four thousand dollars, good condition. naturally, this piqued his interest, as corvairs are worth much more (I think. they aint fast but still sought after). anyway, its this old lady out in the country who's selling it. she tells him its out in the barn and he can take a look at it. he goes out to the barn, comes back and tells her he cant buy it for that much. he needs to give her more. the lady kept insisting that he buy it. he told her she didnt know what she had and she said she wanted to get rid of it. well, turns out the corvair was no corvair but actually a 63 corvette stingray split window. needless to say, the guy bought it, then sold it for close to 70 grand and made a down payment on a house!"
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 22 2012, 07:02 PM
Post #6

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 22 2012, 05:35 PM) *

A picture would be good ... maybe it's a Saratoga (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Anybody remember the story about a '63 Corvair that some lady listed in a classified ad for a really cheap price?... turned out to be a '63 Corvertte that belonged to her deceased son who was killed in Nam?

"you wanna talk about old ladies that dont know what they got? listen to this. my friend jeff told me about a buddy he worked with who likes to buy older cars (50s-70s era) and fix them up and sell them. his buddy saw an ad in the paper listing a 63 corvair for four thousand dollars, good condition. naturally, this piqued his interest, as corvairs are worth much more (I think. they aint fast but still sought after). anyway, its this old lady out in the country who's selling it. she tells him its out in the barn and he can take a look at it. he goes out to the barn, comes back and tells her he cant buy it for that much. he needs to give her more. the lady kept insisting that he buy it. he told her she didnt know what she had and she said she wanted to get rid of it. well, turns out the corvair was no corvair but actually a 63 corvette stingray split window. needless to say, the guy bought it, then sold it for close to 70 grand and made a down payment on a house!"

Urban Legend... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 22 2012, 07:13 PM
Post #7

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

How about the one about a guy who bought a '64 911 for only $2,700. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

... of course that happened 35 years ago (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Rand
post Oct 23 2012, 02:36 AM
Post #8

Cross Member

Oof, yous guys are killing me.

Q. "Maybe it's a Saratoga?"
A. No... a Saratoga is not a moonroof cut into a stock roof, it is a completely plexi top.

Q. "I just never could understand why someone would put a sunroof in a top that will come off in under 10 seconds"
A. I just never could understand why someone would not get this. What if you want the extra light and heat without taking the top off? Sometimes there are climates or locations where it's nice having that light when it isn't warm or dry enough to want the top off in under ten seconds.

Sometimes you need to think outside your box (or "cabinet," as it were) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Oct 23 2012, 04:11 AM
Post #9

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

it wasn't a question. It was a statement. An opinion. Its my opinion. Think outside the box? Is that the best you got? Hmm, box. isn't that the shape of a 914?
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Oct 23 2012, 06:07 AM
Post #10

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

You mean a Snob Top? Mitcom sold those, probably others as well for DIY installs. Its just a piece of plex and a rubber gasket.

From here:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Accessories.htm

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jgilliam914
post Oct 23 2012, 06:25 AM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

There are some days I wish the top never came off of mine. Having a plexiglass panel to always let the sun in would suck. Plus it would probably leak anyway.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Oct 23 2012, 08:53 AM
Post #12

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I just sent one of those to the crusher with the remains of a 75
+Quote Post
Tilly74
post Oct 23 2012, 09:08 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 14,522

QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 22 2012, 07:35 PM) *

My parents missed out on a $50 brand new (in 1986) Cadillac. Saw an add in the paper for a "New Cadillac Deville for $50". My dad assumed it was too good to be true and ignored the add (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) , while their neighbor rolled up in a new Cadillac (3,000ish miles) a few days later. Apparently the husband cheated and told the wife to sell his things and give him his half, so she sold his new Cadillac to my parents neighbor for $50, and gave her husband $25.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 23 2012, 09:49 AM
Post #14

I just said 'maybe'. Until he posts a pic or more description, won't know exactly what it is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
bruce54
post Oct 23 2012, 09:57 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 13,608

Thanks guys, It is a snob-top. Is it worth much or should I just sell with my blue baby 75 with two tops?
+Quote Post
Rand
post Oct 23 2012, 03:06 PM
Post #16

Cross Member

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Oct 23 2012, 03:11 AM) *

it wasn't a question. It was a statement. An opinion. Its my opinion. Think outside the box? Is that the best you got? Hmm, box. isn't that the shape of a 914?

Woops, I did it again. Sorry man, didn't mean to offend. Was hoping the smilies communicated the teasing and light nature I intended.

I respect your opinion. I just happen to see the value of enjoying the light and heat that comes through a clear top when it's cold and gloomy out. I guess it comes from my years in Seattle. And that's just my opinion.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post Oct 23 2012, 03:51 PM
Post #17

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216

QUOTE(bruce54 @ Oct 23 2012, 08:57 AM) *

Thanks guys, It is a snob-top. Is it worth much or should I just sell with my blue baby 75 with two tops?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 23 2012, 04:04 PM
Post #18

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Oct 23 2012, 02:51 PM) *

QUOTE(bruce54 @ Oct 23 2012, 08:57 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I'm a snob and I want to see pics!

+Quote Post
Nürburg Nomad
post Oct 28 2012, 09:52 PM
Post #19

914Rubber.com!

Member No.: 11,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'm just amused by the "snob-top" name someone chose to brand it with! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 28 2012, 09:55 PM
Post #20

Saw one in the 'junk' pile at the G&R today. Never saw one before (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 07:07 AM