Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: targa top (sunroof)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bruce54
My brother-in law has a targa top that has a moon roof (Fixed plexiglass), was that an option or an aftermarket thing? On a 914.
Rand
Not factory
TheCabinetmaker
I just never could understand why someone would put a sunroof in a top that will come off in under 10 seconds
struckn
av-943.gif agree.gif
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Oct 22 2012, 03:48 PM) *

I just never could understand why someone would put a sunroof in a top that will come off in under 10 seconds

euro911
A picture would be good ... maybe it's a Saratoga confused24.gif

Anybody remember the story about a '63 Corvair that some lady listed in a classified ad for a really cheap price?... turned out to be a '63 Corvertte that belonged to her deceased son who was killed in Nam?

"you wanna talk about old ladies that dont know what they got? listen to this. my friend jeff told me about a buddy he worked with who likes to buy older cars (50s-70s era) and fix them up and sell them. his buddy saw an ad in the paper listing a 63 corvair for four thousand dollars, good condition. naturally, this piqued his interest, as corvairs are worth much more (I think. they aint fast but still sought after). anyway, its this old lady out in the country who's selling it. she tells him its out in the barn and he can take a look at it. he goes out to the barn, comes back and tells her he cant buy it for that much. he needs to give her more. the lady kept insisting that he buy it. he told her she didnt know what she had and she said she wanted to get rid of it. well, turns out the corvair was no corvair but actually a 63 corvette stingray split window. needless to say, the guy bought it, then sold it for close to 70 grand and made a down payment on a house!"
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 22 2012, 05:35 PM) *

A picture would be good ... maybe it's a Saratoga confused24.gif

Anybody remember the story about a '63 Corvair that some lady listed in a classified ad for a really cheap price?... turned out to be a '63 Corvertte that belonged to her deceased son who was killed in Nam?

"you wanna talk about old ladies that dont know what they got? listen to this. my friend jeff told me about a buddy he worked with who likes to buy older cars (50s-70s era) and fix them up and sell them. his buddy saw an ad in the paper listing a 63 corvair for four thousand dollars, good condition. naturally, this piqued his interest, as corvairs are worth much more (I think. they aint fast but still sought after). anyway, its this old lady out in the country who's selling it. she tells him its out in the barn and he can take a look at it. he goes out to the barn, comes back and tells her he cant buy it for that much. he needs to give her more. the lady kept insisting that he buy it. he told her she didnt know what she had and she said she wanted to get rid of it. well, turns out the corvair was no corvair but actually a 63 corvette stingray split window. needless to say, the guy bought it, then sold it for close to 70 grand and made a down payment on a house!"

Urban Legend... slap.gif
euro911
laugh.gif

How about the one about a guy who bought a '64 911 for only $2,700. aktion035.gif

... of course that happened 35 years ago happy11.gif
Rand
Oof, yous guys are killing me.

Q. "Maybe it's a Saratoga?"
A. No... a Saratoga is not a moonroof cut into a stock roof, it is a completely plexi top.

Q. "I just never could understand why someone would put a sunroof in a top that will come off in under 10 seconds"
A. I just never could understand why someone would not get this. What if you want the extra light and heat without taking the top off? Sometimes there are climates or locations where it's nice having that light when it isn't warm or dry enough to want the top off in under ten seconds.

Sometimes you need to think outside your box (or "cabinet," as it were) poke.gif tongue.gif
TheCabinetmaker
it wasn't a question. It was a statement. An opinion. Its my opinion. Think outside the box? Is that the best you got? Hmm, box. isn't that the shape of a 914?
JeffBowlsby
You mean a Snob Top? Mitcom sold those, probably others as well for DIY installs. Its just a piece of plex and a rubber gasket.

From here:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Accessories.htm
Jgilliam914
There are some days I wish the top never came off of mine. Having a plexiglass panel to always let the sun in would suck. Plus it would probably leak anyway.
914werke
I just sent one of those to the crusher with the remains of a 75
Tilly74
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 22 2012, 07:35 PM) *

My parents missed out on a $50 brand new (in 1986) Cadillac. Saw an add in the paper for a "New Cadillac Deville for $50". My dad assumed it was too good to be true and ignored the add headbang.gif , while their neighbor rolled up in a new Cadillac (3,000ish miles) a few days later. Apparently the husband cheated and told the wife to sell his things and give him his half, so she sold his new Cadillac to my parents neighbor for $50, and gave her husband $25.
euro911
I just said 'maybe'. Until he posts a pic or more description, won't know exactly what it is confused24.gif
bruce54
Thanks guys, It is a snob-top. Is it worth much or should I just sell with my blue baby 75 with two tops?
Rand
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Oct 23 2012, 03:11 AM) *

it wasn't a question. It was a statement. An opinion. Its my opinion. Think outside the box? Is that the best you got? Hmm, box. isn't that the shape of a 914?

Woops, I did it again. Sorry man, didn't mean to offend. Was hoping the smilies communicated the teasing and light nature I intended.

I respect your opinion. I just happen to see the value of enjoying the light and heat that comes through a clear top when it's cold and gloomy out. I guess it comes from my years in Seattle. And that's just my opinion.

beerchug.gif
Lennies914
QUOTE(bruce54 @ Oct 23 2012, 08:57 AM) *

Thanks guys, It is a snob-top. Is it worth much or should I just sell with my blue baby 75 with two tops?

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Oct 23 2012, 02:51 PM) *

QUOTE(bruce54 @ Oct 23 2012, 08:57 AM) *

agree.gif

I'm a snob and I want to see pics!

Nürburg Nomad
I'm just amused by the "snob-top" name someone chose to brand it with! biggrin.gif
euro911
Saw one in the 'junk' pile at the G&R today. Never saw one before confused24.gif
76-914
I don't own one but the Saratoga top does look good on some 914's. Especially black.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 23 2012, 03:36 AM) *

Q. "I just never could understand why someone would put a sunroof in a top that will come off in under 10 seconds"
A. I just never could understand why someone would not get this. What if you want the extra light and heat without taking the top off? Sometimes there are climates or locations where it's nice having that light when it isn't warm or dry enough to want the top off in under ten seconds.

agree.gif

I drive long distance. I usually have the top off but sometimes after many hours, it is just too much. If the top is on and the wind is from the left or it is raining, then the wind and rain are just too much. A sunroof that opens would be nice.
Olympic 914
I have a spare roof that is not in good shape paint-wise and have long considered putting a pop-up type sunroof in it and maybe just painting this roof the color of the car. I would still want to be able to store it in the rear trunk though...

anyone done this? and what type of sunroof kit did you use?

BTW I know this is an old thread...
green914
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Oct 22 2012, 04:48 PM) *

agree.gif I saw one that was homemade, it was ugly lol-2.gif
DRPHIL914
This top came with my car, when purchased from a marine that came east from SoCal. I guess he had this done out there.
it is a Moon roof that is tinted tempered glass, pops open, not fixed closed.

At first i thought, Why would i use that? but living in the S.E. during this time of year, due to the pop up T-storms etc, i really like it. AND the sun is too hot at the end of the day to take the top off in mid-summer, it allows great air flow, much cooler than my other stock top. and if a storm (like the past week driving home a rain cloud passes over and bam- i would have been soaked!) - btw 95+ today and humid, if i get stuck in traffic and am sitting there without airflow and the sun beating down , its just too hot otherwise, its nice to have on then..

In the spring and fall i would go topless most of the time, during our summer and winter, this top is on , but the moonroof is open for airflow, works great in my opinion. Now i probably would not have gone out and spent the # to do this, but since it came with the car.....

p.s. no leak, water tight when closed.
billh1963
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jun 12 2013, 12:29 PM) *

In the spring and fall i would go topless most of the time,

Phil....keeep your shirt on! lol-2.gif
914outlaw
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jun 12 2013, 12:29 PM) *

This top came with my car, when purchased from a marine that came east from SoCal. I guess he had this done out there.
it is a Moon roof that is tinted tempered glass, pops open, not fixed closed.

At first i thought, Why would i use that? but living in the S.E. during this time of year, due to the pop up T-storms etc, i really like it. AND the sun is too hot at the end of the day to take the top off in mid-summer, it allows great air flow, much cooler than my other stock top. and if a storm (like the past week driving home a rain cloud passes over and bam- i would have been soaked!) - btw 95+ today and humid, if i get stuck in traffic and am sitting there without airflow and the sun beating down , its just too hot otherwise, its nice to have on then..

In the spring and fall i would go topless most of the time, during our summer and winter, this top is on , but the moonroof is open for airflow, works great in my opinion. Now i probably would not have gone out and spent the # to do this, but since it came with the car.....

p.s. no leak, water tight when closed.

I like it because it's much lighter to remove. Good for short trips and you don't have to get out of the car.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.