Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> targa top (sunroof)
bruce54
post Oct 22 2012, 04:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,608
Region Association: Northern California

My brother-in law has a targa top that has a moon roof (Fixed plexiglass), was that an option or an aftermarket thing? On a 914.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 26)
76-914
post Oct 29 2012, 08:45 AM
Post #21

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

I don't own one but the Saratoga top does look good on some 914's. Especially black.
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Oct 29 2012, 09:00 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 23 2012, 03:36 AM) *

Q. "I just never could understand why someone would put a sunroof in a top that will come off in under 10 seconds"
A. I just never could understand why someone would not get this. What if you want the extra light and heat without taking the top off? Sometimes there are climates or locations where it's nice having that light when it isn't warm or dry enough to want the top off in under ten seconds.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I drive long distance. I usually have the top off but sometimes after many hours, it is just too much. If the top is on and the wind is from the left or it is raining, then the wind and rain are just too much. A sunroof that opens would be nice.
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Jun 12 2013, 07:57 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

I have a spare roof that is not in good shape paint-wise and have long considered putting a pop-up type sunroof in it and maybe just painting this roof the color of the car. I would still want to be able to store it in the rear trunk though...

anyone done this? and what type of sunroof kit did you use?

BTW I know this is an old thread...
+Quote Post
green914
post Jun 12 2013, 09:33 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 12,874
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Oct 22 2012, 04:48 PM) *

I just never could understand why someone would put a sunroof in a top that will come off in under 10 seconds

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I saw one that was homemade, it was ugly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jun 12 2013, 10:29 AM
Post #25

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

This top came with my car, when purchased from a marine that came east from SoCal. I guess he had this done out there.
it is a Moon roof that is tinted tempered glass, pops open, not fixed closed.

At first i thought, Why would i use that? but living in the S.E. during this time of year, due to the pop up T-storms etc, i really like it. AND the sun is too hot at the end of the day to take the top off in mid-summer, it allows great air flow, much cooler than my other stock top. and if a storm (like the past week driving home a rain cloud passes over and bam- i would have been soaked!) - btw 95+ today and humid, if i get stuck in traffic and am sitting there without airflow and the sun beating down , its just too hot otherwise, its nice to have on then..

In the spring and fall i would go topless most of the time, during our summer and winter, this top is on , but the moonroof is open for airflow, works great in my opinion. Now i probably would not have gone out and spent the # to do this, but since it came with the car.....

p.s. no leak, water tight when closed.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jun 12 2013, 12:53 PM
Post #26

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jun 12 2013, 12:29 PM) *

In the spring and fall i would go topless most of the time,

Phil....keeep your shirt on! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
914outlaw
post Jun 12 2013, 01:05 PM
Post #27

Dave

Member No.: 11,800
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jun 12 2013, 12:29 PM) *

This top came with my car, when purchased from a marine that came east from SoCal. I guess he had this done out there.
it is a Moon roof that is tinted tempered glass, pops open, not fixed closed.

At first i thought, Why would i use that? but living in the S.E. during this time of year, due to the pop up T-storms etc, i really like it. AND the sun is too hot at the end of the day to take the top off in mid-summer, it allows great air flow, much cooler than my other stock top. and if a storm (like the past week driving home a rain cloud passes over and bam- i would have been soaked!) - btw 95+ today and humid, if i get stuck in traffic and am sitting there without airflow and the sun beating down , its just too hot otherwise, its nice to have on then..

In the spring and fall i would go topless most of the time, during our summer and winter, this top is on , but the moonroof is open for airflow, works great in my opinion. Now i probably would not have gone out and spent the # to do this, but since it came with the car.....

p.s. no leak, water tight when closed.

I like it because it's much lighter to remove. Good for short trips and you don't have to get out of the car.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 03:54 AM