Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> first gear, it is a bitch sometimes
Dr Evil
post Oct 29 2012, 05:27 PM
Post #41

Send me your transmission!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I host them all over the place when I get time. I will not have time for a West coast clinic until sometime after June.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
johnpierre
post Oct 30 2012, 12:48 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 14,913
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 29 2012, 04:27 PM) *

I host them all over the place when I get time. I will not have time for a West coast clinic until sometime after June.

does not seem that far away. i would like to attend when you get here in june.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 30 2012, 01:06 AM
Post #43

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Mike, I'd be happy offer lodging and host one of your Evil Tranny Clinics at our shop in Harbor City (LAX) ...
+Quote Post
johnt
post Jul 8 2013, 09:51 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 16,103
Region Association: None

I'm new to this forum but thought I would help with some information I found on other forums.
1st gear remedy has already been done and it's easy.
See these links. Hope it helps (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Alfa Romeo fix - Don't worry-still 914 syncro
Porsche 901-915 fix
+Quote Post
johnpierre
post Jul 9 2013, 02:18 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 14,913

Interesting. I don't have the skill for this but if someone has I would love know how it turns out.
+Quote Post
worn
post Jul 9 2013, 12:20 PM
Post #46

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 28 2012, 05:04 PM) *

I have a stock 911S disc with a stock aluminum pressure plate. Just got back from another spirited drive. I'm fairly certain it has nothing to do with my Rennshift linkage (I do not have the shifter, just the Level III linkage below) or my clutch.

When I came back I was greeted with a PM from Stu who confirmed my suspicion about the synth vs. dino juice. He said his was doing the same thing until he replaced it. I think I'll flush this out and find some dino 90 and see if that works better. There's been talk on various boards about the synth being too slippery. Now I see what they mean (I hope).

I didn't have a problem this drive, I just got it into first as soon as I could as I downshifted for a stop or a light etc. Again, internal motion = fine.

I did the rebuild recently. It sure is easier than the engine. I got the video, but the Haynes will get you through it fine if you are careful. Still hard to get into first at a stop light sometimes, but shifts a lot better than it used to. Well worth the effort, but every 4th or 5th stop light 1st is reluctant. Linkage is spot on and bronze at the tranny. I hope Mike is right about it getting better with age. Like wine rather than vinegar.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 9 2013, 04:04 PM
Post #47

New synchro bands suck. They are very stiff. At least the last batch I saw was. With a good used band and good teeth, 1st shifts like a dream. It is hard to talk people through the process to adjust, check, and such. Once I go through a box, unless I am made to use new, stiff-as-hell bands, first shifts great.
+Quote Post
nine9three
post Jul 9 2013, 04:20 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 13,946
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 9 2013, 03:04 PM) *

New synchro bands suck. They are very stiff. At least the last batch I saw was. With a good used band and good teeth, 1st shifts like a dream. It is hard to talk people through the process to adjust, check, and such. Once I go through a box, unless I am made to use new, stiff-as-hell bands, first shifts great.

So, I'm just about to rebuild the box. At this point I'm replacing 1st-3rd gear syncro bands. Should I take the 5th and 4th (existing/old) syncro gear bands and place them in 1st and 2nd?
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 9 2013, 04:24 PM
Post #49

If they are great, and most are, then yes. You will be happier.
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Jul 9 2013, 04:29 PM
Post #50

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

Yikes! Did he put a LSD in?
+Quote Post
patssle
post Jul 9 2013, 04:54 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 10,741
Region Association: None

I always just drop it into first before I come to a dead stop - never had a single issue. 98% of the time it goes into 1st or reverse just fine at a dead stop (when backing out of driveway and the initial takeoff or whatnot) - but that 2% of the time when it complains...easily avoided by going into first before stopping.
+Quote Post
Ian Stott
post Jul 9 2013, 06:00 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 8,635
Region Association: Canada

Sometimes when you are at a long light people will slip into neutral and release the clutch, this is normal for truckers as the clutch in a tractor trailer can be quite stiff. When the clutch is released the transmission is turning; light turns green and you push in the clutch and try to engage 1st gear, if you wait a sec with the clutch pushed in, the tranny has a chance to wind down and you can slip into gear. Timing your light helps here, when you feel pressure to take off cause the light is green people have a tendancy to rush things and that is when you will grind her real good! Just finished the 3rd annual PCA New Brunswick tour, lots of twisty's and downshifting, getting 1st using above technique works everytime, a little practice and it will work for you too.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
+Quote Post
rjames
post Jul 11 2013, 10:00 AM
Post #53

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Having this problem too on a side shifter with a newly rebuilt gearbox filled with Dino oil. Sometimes downshifting into 4th is difficult as well. I've also nicked reverse when down shifting from 3rd- thought there was a lockout to keep that from happening.

I replaced the firewall bushing- no change. Rear shift rod bushing has a decent amount play in it, but it came that way new from pelican. How tight should that bushing be?

Also, how much play in the shifter should one have when it's in gear? Seems like I've got quite a bit, especially when in 2nd and 4th. Starting to think bushings in the shifter itself need to be replaced.
Mine is the only 914 I've driven before and have nothing to compare it to.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 10:08 PM