Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

29 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My vintage race project, yes... my first pictures are included
brant
post Nov 1 2004, 10:18 PM
Post #21

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Here is the seam welding on the rear towers inside..

Jeroen, I mentioned this once a while back... I don't have to tell you not to over look this area. 1/2 of the rear seams are inside. You can't see them due to all the body filler the factory puts in there. you can grind that crud out with a wire wheel and then get to them.

I don't have a pic of it, but I also cut open to access the frame end in the engine bay. Right where it butts up to this tower. We welded that and then closed the access portal back up.. Welded it closed and you can barely tell after a bit of grinding

here she is from beneath:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brant
post Nov 1 2004, 10:19 PM
Post #22

914 Wizard

too much fun...
I've gotta go for now.

I'll send a couple more tomorrow.

brant
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Nov 1 2004, 10:25 PM
Post #23

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

dOOd, that is one sweet project!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Based on my vaguely similar (but not nearly as CLEAN) car, that gem will be an effin' blast to drive when she is ready to hit the track.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Nov 1 2004, 10:29 PM
Post #24

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

BTW if John Kelley wants to make & sell those turn signal covers I'd be interested (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

What kind of wheels are you planning to run? I have not yet bitten the bullet to cram 225's under my car but to be competitive, I'd have to do that on 15x7's or 16x7's depending on the organization.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 1 2004, 10:39 PM
Post #25

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Nice work!
+Quote Post
john rogers
post Nov 1 2004, 11:36 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 391

Really great loking work! I'd keep a close eye on the rear side of the front oil cooler to see if the tires throw much rubber? MY Goodyears can fill up the area under the turn signal buckets on a race weekend. Also if you have not decided on a shifter and such I'd strongly recommend one of Jim's Rennshifts and also one of the aircraft type coupler and there will be no slop in the shifter at all. Again, beautiful job....
+Quote Post
ablose58
post Nov 2 2004, 04:19 AM
Post #27

rust never sleeps

Member No.: 1,422

Very nice, It looks like it will be a real nice ride (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Nov 2 2004, 05:43 AM
Post #28

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

Wow Brant. This was sure worth the wait over the pictures (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Looks like you have a very well thought out and clean package.
Absolutely amazing and definately a source of inspiration
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
machina
post Nov 2 2004, 06:43 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

brant,

the car looks awsome. i didn't catch which club you are running with.

can't wait to see her finished.
+Quote Post
brant
post Nov 2 2004, 11:55 AM
Post #30

914 Wizard

Thanks for all the feed back fellas...
I was so excited to get some of these picture out because I wanted to thank you guys mostly...

Seriously, I've been warehousing tidbits and advice form everyone and I can't begin to explain all of the favors that club members have done for me...

All of the admins have helped me out a ton..
Especially Ginter since he is so close to me..
he has shuttled things for me, wrenched on other cars for me, etc...

not to exclude anyone either, I have chatted with 50people to run ideas by them.
------------

synthesisdv:
its Rocky Mountain Vintage Racing out here...
they are part of the larger co-op, so I should be eligible for a couple of out of state events each year if I ever travel. Their rules are kinda weird compaired to other areas. When I started the project the car had to be a 6cylinder as no -4's were allowed. Now they have loosened up and will allow 1.7 fours only in a lower class.

Another of their rules was that the -6 had to be a 2.0 as no real six cars were built 72 or earlier with bigger motors (I know about the 916, but nobody had picked that fight yet). They also just changed their rule about tires so I get to run the 50series as previously mentioned. They also allow no fiberglass, no bracing tubes, no roll cages to suspension points... They are very stock in appearance and kinda old school. They only allowed 67 or earlier cars until just 3 years ago when they changed their rule up to 1972.

John:
good tip on the rubber in the fender wells. I'll keep an eye on it. I've got a really trick shifter already. Its an AJ special. I'm embarrased to say that I sold my rennshift that I had intended to use. AJ makes a shifter that has a bit more adjustability and he highly recommended that I go with his. He also has a few coupling tricks that I incorporated and when I get to lamar next time I'll get some shifter shots added.

Chris:
Yeah John Kelley said that he might be open to selling these when I had him make mine. I promised him I would post pictures and make noise about them. The lack of a digital camera slowed the process down, but I really liked they way they came out. I have a little mounting Idea which I will show after I've tried it.

Regarding wheels. our race class allows a maximum of 7's and will not allow 16inchers.... So we are going with 15x7 fuchs. I used to run 15x7 cookies on my 4 cylinder ex-race car so I used them as a fittment tool when I pounded out these fenders. I think they will clear, and I think they will clear even when dropped an extra inch or two.
+Quote Post
brant
post Nov 2 2004, 12:06 PM
Post #31

914 Wizard

Couple more pictures.

I don't think I mentioned earlier. The car is in my fathers garage 4hours away. I try to make 1-2 weekend trips each month with an 8 hour driving time. We work on the car on saturday's and half of sunday before I drive home.

This makes it a bit difficult to speed up the process too much. Also makes it kinda difficult for me to easily get more pictures now that I have a camera.

Hopefully I'll be down there once in november and can get a bit more done. Goal is to have it running in time for april events in colorado. We are really jonesing to do some driving as we decommissioned our -4cylinder race car after the 2002 season in order to steal and sell all of the race parts from that chassis.

That car is a 1974, and since the local vintage association only allows 1972 or earlier we had to start over from scratch.

anyways here is a roll bar picture. We stole this cage out of the 4cylinder race car. It is (or was) a safety devices cage. AJ put some extra bars into it for us, so it is no longer a bolt in. Our rules only allow so many body points, and no suspension points, and no passing through other panels.

I particularly like the dash bar. A friend of mine out here busted his knee in a small shunt in his 67S 911 when he hit the below dash brace. We wanted something higher, so here is the AJ solution. I did all of the welding on the car except for these extra braces. (figured I didn't want to really test my skills in such an important way)

you can also see one of the oil lines running forward:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
brant
post Nov 2 2004, 12:08 PM
Post #32

914 Wizard

In this one there is more roll cage.
Also a bit of the pedal cluster (with lightening holes)
We also lightened where ever possible, for example the center tunnel holes.....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
brant
post Nov 2 2004, 12:09 PM
Post #33

914 Wizard

here is that pedal cluster a bit more clearly:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
brant
post Nov 2 2004, 12:13 PM
Post #34

914 Wizard

Next, I've got a few motor bay shots.
In our old -4 race car, we ripped 2 rear suspension consoles out. There was no rust what so ever. I am a VERY strong believer in a brace bar system for the suspension ears on track cars.

my old -4 car had a very simple heim-jointed brace running to the firewall... another AJ idea from 12years ago. In 12 years of use it held up very well.

So in this car of course we were going to do another brace. AJ has updated his design and uses a bit more intricate brace this time. We tilted it over for a -6 more than the -4 install requires.

Here is a shot of the forward mounting area on the firewall.

you can also see my oil filter and heat wrapped gas lines in this shot.

Oh I forgot to mention the hell hole. A tiny repair was required. I incorporated a little "L" bracket to the firewall. On the interior side I made an extra large mounting plate for the back of the cage that has another "L" that is welded to the other side of this one..
(I'm not allowed to weld braces in, but I saw these as cage mounts and rust repair..ha):

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
brant
post Nov 2 2004, 12:19 PM
Post #35

914 Wizard

Here you can see the rear mounting point for this console brace. Its welded to the frame where the -4 mounts are normally.

you can also see our fuel pressure regulator.

also note that we will not run any tin work or chassis tin in the engine bay.

finally here is bit of the motor mount. Its a patrick-bulkhead.

Oh.. picture doesn't show it, but on the outboard side of the rear suspension there is another heim joint that is a toe adjuster. It runs forward from the suspension cup and along the longitudinal. It bolts to the long, where the jack points used to be. You can barely see the mounting bolt for it in one of the first pictures with the exposed long. (no more jack points):

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
brant
post Nov 2 2004, 12:21 PM
Post #36

914 Wizard

Dad made up the new hard brake lines.

This picture also show the motor mount a little better

We installed only 2 of the stiffening kit's plates (didn't want to add the weight but felt that these were important ones)

The firewall shift bushing is delrin. Its hand lathed to fit, and apparently each chassis and bar varies a tiny bit depending upon how they are worn... It was a sucker to install:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chris Julian
post Nov 2 2004, 01:28 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 1,821

Very nice work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

The car seems to be very well thoughtout.

Chris
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Nov 2 2004, 01:32 PM
Post #38

914 Guru

Member No.: 116
Region Association: None

Yippie Brant has a camera! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Now every else gets to see how cool your car is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Ferg
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Nov 2 2004, 02:00 PM
Post #39

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

Brant:

Tho I knew you'd been plugging away at a racin' vehicle, I had no idea...........

The digital camera is a great investment for all of us. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Iff'n you have a chance, some close-ups of the suspension bracing would be a big help.....the strap thingy. It's all too Orange for these old eyes to make out clearly.

You'll have to answer to Captn' Crusty for that hole in the firewall, tho. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Many departures from the "normal" oil cooler set-up are cobbled messes. Yours is top drawer.....well thought out and executed......just my opinion (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Are you gonna do 225 tiars at both ends?
+Quote Post
3d914
post Nov 2 2004, 02:01 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 1,191
Region Association: Southwest Region

Very nice car - Brant!

Can't wait to see it finished. I'll bet you can't either. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post

29 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:12 PM