Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V « < 5 6 7  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> OT: Dutch democracy compromised...
Jeroen
post Nov 4 2004, 08:00 PM
Post #121

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

Hey Howard,

I beg to differ... In my point of view, a democracy is a place where people can express their opinion
When someone who is killed over his right of freedom of speach, then a piece of democracy is killed

In the late 1930’s, Charles Lindburgh, an ardent Hitler supporter, campaigned against Roosevelt, who wanted to take us to war to back England. Would you two be better off today if the election had turned out differently?

Would you, for that matter? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

My point simply was that any nation going to war, is never doing so out of kindness, but just like you said, to protect vested interests.

Some people take my or Andy's comments as anti-american, which I think is wrong.
If Andy was such an anti-american, I'm sure he wouldn't be living there. And if I were, I'd be nuts to hang out with any of you guys (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
(errr... actually, I am nuts for hanging out with you guys... but that's for other reasons)

Should Andy and I stay out of discussions like these because we are admins?
I honestly hope not.
I don't pretend to represent the 914 community here, I'm just a part of it like you and anybody else here.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Nov 4 2004, 08:05 PM
Post #122

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Howard, now that would be damn personal if I talked about your kids. Talking about freedom, politics etc is in now way is the same as talking about your kids. Or enlighten me how it is the same. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
Freedom of speech usually includes politics thoughts/criticism which is what Theo Van Gogh was about.
Repression is just that. On this forum compared to others, we are free to say damn near anthing which is quite rare and unique. Lets keep it that way.

Geoff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Nov 4 2004, 08:05 PM
Post #123

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

This thread is yet another fine example of why we probably shouldn't talk about politics.

Sorry to hear about your countryman, Jeroen.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Nov 4 2004, 08:09 PM
Post #124

Aircooled Baby!

No, I think we should talk about politics as this country is divided 51/49 almost like the Civil War times. Talk does bring people understanding and togetherness. Silence is just that...
We need to understand each other and come together or OBL and his gang of f***heads wins!

Geoff
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Nov 4 2004, 08:13 PM
Post #125

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

And you are welcome to your opinion.

I choose not to traipse through the sewage anymore. <_<
+Quote Post
mikey
post Nov 4 2004, 08:14 PM
Post #126

Member No.: 214
Region Association: None

This thread has made interesting reading but most of it has been off the original topic. If you're interested watch tonight's "News Hour with Jim Lehrer" on PBS. There's a segment on the events in the Netherlands prompted Jeroen to start this thread.
+Quote Post
redshift
post Nov 4 2004, 09:03 PM
Post #127

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

QUOTE(Lawrence @ Nov 4 2004, 10:13 PM)
And you are welcome to your opinion.

I choose not to traipse through the sewage anymore. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I agree with Geoff, on everything in that frame..

But, Lawrence, you have my eternal respect, thanks man.

Miles
+Quote Post
redshift
post Nov 4 2004, 09:06 PM
Post #128

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 4 2004, 10:09 PM)
We need to understand each other and come together or OBL and his gang of f***heads wins!

Geoff

Bravo buddy, we need to get these terrorists burried, so we can get back to fighting about the good stuff...

Like the 2006 Medicare War, and the civil uprising of 2009 when the beanie babie price makers are found to be ex-Enron execs.

M
+Quote Post
Howard
post Nov 4 2004, 09:17 PM
Post #129

Incontin(g)ent Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 943
Region Association: None

Think I might have said it better, so let me try to muddle through and not piss of anyone else any more.

I don't like the French. Never have. Lot's of reasons going back to Charlemagne SS and Klaus Barbie. There, go hate me. But let's say for the moment that I was the administrator of a French based website. As a US citizen it would be tacky of me to criticize their internal politics.

Looking at the membership and events calendar leads me to believe this is primarily a US based enterprise. A Foreign national posting statments derogatory to the US here is the same. The analogy was I can criticize my country (kids), when you do it here as Foreign National admin and I find it distasteful and could get your ass kicked in any of those RED states. Blue ones would probably like it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

There, did I miss anyone?
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post Nov 4 2004, 09:24 PM
Post #130

Member No.: 366

Jeroen; You are totally right, The USA did follow along with france, and much of the rest of europe, and ignored hitler. A big mistake now doubt in my mind. That was the biggest mistake I can think of that the USA, france, much of europe, and the League of Nations (the original "UN" formed after WWI) made in the 20th century.

Glad the USA is not waiting around like france is regarding the current terror states, also glad that there are plenty of european nations that are taking a simular stance to us, and are removing guys like saddam (a hitler type). Our allience of good nations will have removed a hitler before he got worse, thank goodness.

The USA and its current allies have learned from the mistake of not taking out hitler while he gained power. france has yet to learn that leasson, dispite what happened to france in WWII. What will it take!
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Nov 4 2004, 09:54 PM
Post #131

914 Guru

Hey Howard,
If I, as a foreigner, am not allowed to even comment on American national politics here, then what gives Americans the right trying to control foreign national politics (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Nov 4 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #132

Aircooled Baby!

ok, thats cool Howard.

okay, no more politics.

Geoff
+Quote Post
jimtab
post Nov 4 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #133

Advanced Member

Member No.: 91
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(redshift @ Nov 4 2004, 09:47 AM)
I am a hunter/gatherer.

I want to hunt terrorists, and gather their bones to build an elevator to heaven.

M

Then why are you still in the US? I hear they're looking for a few good men. The part of the discussion that everyone seems to overlook is that it's our christian fundamentalists against their muslim fundamentalists. There are many anti-abortionists in the Charismatic Cristian "sect" who think killing doctors to prevent abortions is good...un fucking believeable. This is the same attitude that has young Palistinian men and women becoming bombs because they think it will further their radical religious beliefs. My opinion is that religion began when the first charlatan met the first fool....and the rest is history, bloody history.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 4 2004, 10:23 PM
Post #134

Resident German

Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Howard @ Nov 4 2004, 06:07 PM)
But if you two want to do it, please take it to another BBS where you are not administrators and control the forum.

what does that have to do with it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

i have to shut up and eat "oral" dirty from you guys because i run this place?
what kind of twisted logic is that? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

what have i done to deserve this?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Nov 4 2004, 10:37 PM
Post #135

914 Guru

Andy, you're an asshole that's why (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Jim, very well put. That's exactly what I'm worried and frustrated about. Extremists.
I don't care if their Muslim, Christian, Jewish or what ever. Extremists have no place in a democracy

Well, that's all for now folks... I'm closing this thread

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 5 6 7
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 02:35 PM