Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V « < 21 22 23  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1973 2.0 Original Survivor, New brake lines
mdelwiche
post May 10 2013, 03:45 PM
Post #441

Vegas_914

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,266
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 9 2013, 07:46 PM) *

flip in over on the same screw so its on the other side of the cap clip.

I have not found the "right" condensor anywhere....maybe the Capn has a source.

rich

I bought mine from Autozone, (duralast) never used, installed a Petronix system instead, but as you can see the wire is the same length as the original.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 11 2013, 10:29 AM
Post #442

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

I figure the rev-limiting rotor is just another part to fail. I don't have a problem hearing the red-line RPM, so a rev-limiter is useless.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post May 11 2013, 10:47 AM
Post #443

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

I use a bosch rev limiting rotor. I always have. Cheap insurance. Its a real simple device that when spun to fast grounds out the rotor. I think it is just a single spring on it. I doubt they ever really fail. You could carry a spare one if your that worried. I use it all the time when autocrossing. There is never time to look at the tack when you are driving hard. It just does its job and I concentrate on tearing up the course. Autocrossing this past weekend there was a segment of the course I was dragging the rev limiter for maybe two seconds. Not worth upshifting. I was able to figure out the quickest way through and get a little better each time without ever looking at the tack!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post May 11 2013, 11:16 AM
Post #444

Member No.: 11,782

QUOTE(914Eric @ May 10 2013, 01:51 PM) *

Nigel Skeet, from the bay window bus forums, sent me this in a pm, and I am thinking of not using the rev-limiting rotor on account of his advice. it is a pretty long explanation, which he is kind of famous for. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

To prevent over-revving, Volkswagen in their 'wisdom', fitted a centrifugal cut-out (i.e. governor) type, ignition rotor arm, which shorts the HT ignition pulses to earth, when the engine attains 4,500 RPM. The absolute maximum rev limit, is 5,000 RPM, for the VW 12/13/15/1600 Type 1, 2 & 3 engines, with magnesium-alloy crankcase; unless a specially counter-balanced crankshaft has been substituted, together with fine-tolerance balancing of other rotating or reciprocating components. The 1972~83 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2 & Vanagon engine, is also fitted with a cut-out type rotor arm, which operates at 5,400 RPM, but this engine, in common with other VW 17/18/2000 Type 4 style engines (VW 411 & 412 and VW-Porsche 914/4), can safely be revved briefly, even in unmodified form, to a maximum of 6,000 RPM.

Ignition cut-out, is characterised by violent juddering of the whole vehicle, arising from induced vibration of the engine and transmission., which is likely to cause more damage than merely over-revving the engine by 500 RPM or so. This situation can be avoided, by replacing the cut-out type rotor arm with the conventional type, plus fitting a rev counter and/or adjustable, electronic, smooth-cut rev limiter, which are also incorporated into some after-market electronic ignition systems, such as the Microdynamics Formula 1, FCD system, fitted to my family's 1973 VW '1600' Type 2.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post May 11 2013, 01:28 PM
Post #445

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

"violent juddering" is horse crap! The engine sounds like it is misfiring and will not accelerate further. That is all.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post May 12 2013, 07:58 AM
Post #446

Member No.: 11,782

QUOTE(Krieger @ May 11 2013, 12:28 PM) *

"violent juddering" is horse crap! The engine sounds like it is misfiring and will not accelerate further. That is all.

Shad Laws talks about it some in this old shoptalkforums thread. One of the Bergs chimes in at the end as well about the backfiring causing engine fires.
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4186
+Quote Post
914Eric
post May 21 2013, 01:39 PM
Post #447

Member No.: 15,125
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Got my new thermostat in today from awesome powdercoat. Looks like a quality piece. Took a while to get it (About a Month) because they were between production runs, but he contacted me right away to let me know when they would be available and then contacted me again when they were shipping.

All in all...a good transaction. Once I get the car running, I'll test it and let you know.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
reharvey
post May 21 2013, 06:11 PM
Post #448

Member No.: 9,308
Region Association: North East States

Got mine from the same guy. Great service and it really works!
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Aug 1 2013, 09:13 PM
Post #449

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

Eric?

Updates?

Progress?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
914Eric
post Aug 2 2013, 12:00 PM
Post #450

Hi Ken,
Summer is busy here on the ranch. Once it became clear that I wasn't going to make it to the west coast get together in June...I got a little side tracked.

I do have everything cleaned up, inspected, and ready to start putting things back together. The last part I was waiting for was a replacement fan which I got from Rich at HPH.

Thanks for the kick...I'm on it...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Dec 31 2013, 03:25 PM
Post #451

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(914Eric @ Aug 2 2013, 10:00 AM) *

Hi Ken,
Summer is busy here on the ranch. Once it became clear that I wasn't going to make it to the west coast get together in June...I got a little side tracked.

I do have everything cleaned up, inspected, and ready to start putting things back together. The last part I was waiting for was a replacement fan which I got from Rich at HPH.

Thanks for the kick...I'm on it...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

OK, Eric. Summer is over!

Any updates?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
914Eric
post Feb 16 2014, 01:39 PM
Post #452

Hey Ken,
Yea...I've been on the shelf for a while. I'm sure I don't need to explain to many of you guys how family craziness can get in the way of OUR favorite Porsche projects.

I've got a few things done, and am beginning re-assembly. I changed the front and back crank seals, clean the oil cooler and replaced the seals, changed the seal on the oil filter connector piece, and am ready to put the engine back in. I also have the clutch off and need to check to see if it needs replacing. I'll need to research what the clutch should look like if it is OK. Any guidance?

What has me slightly held up is that I'm fixing the broken clutch cable bracket on the firewall that my dad's mechanic had attached with a U-bolt. When the cable tube broke, it also put a small crack into the firewall. I removed the u-bolt and have it all in place and just need to get the small weld done to hold it in place and fix the crack. Since I'm not a welder this has had me kind of in limbo because I really don't want to turn just anyone loose on it and I don't want to learn to weld on my 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I know it's kind of a small problem, but I just haven't searched out someone to do it. Once that weld is done, I can put in my new stainless fuel lines, run all the new throttle, and clutch cables, and seal her back up. Really shouldn't take more than a couple days/weeks once I get the weld done.

+Quote Post
914Eric
post Feb 16 2014, 03:18 PM
Post #453

One additional thing I've done that I forgot to mention is that I've drained all the brake fluid and the brake lines and blown them out with air. I also replaced the front rubber brake lines with new ones from 914Rubber. I also have the rear brake lines but need to send them back. I was sent rear brake lines that didn't have the slot for the clip. Going to call 914Rubber this week to swap for the correct ones.
+Quote Post
914Eric
post Feb 18 2014, 01:26 PM
Post #454

My brake lines actually came from Eric at PMB, not 914Rubber. Talked to him this morning and it seems I got lines from a 911 by mistake. Arranged to get the proper rear lines sent out today.

Excellent service...Thanks Eric

+Quote Post
hattrick
post Oct 22 2014, 03:48 PM
Post #455

Member No.: 10,500
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Hi Eric,

Just saw your cool story. I live in Boise and If you're down my way stop by my shop. I PM'd you. I service and restore older air cooled Porsche's. I use to work for Aase motors in California. If you need some advice or parts I might be able to help. I own a black 73 1.7 all original - never touched, a 73 2.0 and a 914-6 that I'm in the process of restoring...plus other Porsche's. What a great color too...

Wade
+Quote Post
914Eric
post Aug 27 2021, 03:17 PM
Post #456

I'm Back! Had some health issues, and am putting the car up for sale.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)
+Quote Post

23 Pages V « < 21 22 23
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:21 PM