Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1973 2.0 Original Survivor, New brake lines
bigkensteele
post Nov 16 2012, 10:53 PM
Post #81

Major Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(914Eric @ Nov 16 2012, 08:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Nov 16 2012, 06:44 PM) *

Yep, gas pedal mount.

Thanks Garold...and nellums.

Still haven't got the tank out yet. Dad must of just fueled up last time he drove. Sounds like there is 10-15 gallons of fuel in the tank, and I haven't figured out an easy way to drain it yet. I could do a couple of gallons at a time...But that really sounds messy.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Go to Home Depot and get 3 of the orange buckets and lids. They are cheap. If you are lucky enough to find an employee who knows the store, ask if they sell a siphon pump and where you might be able to find it. If you don't have any luck, go to Harbor Freight and buy one. It is also cheap. Then you can drain your tank from the top-side in a controlled manner. You will still have 10 - 15 gallons of old gas to get rid of, but at least now it will be in buckets, rather than your tank.

After you have done the above, there is still a little gas left in your tank, so you will want to clamp off the lines as close as possible to the nipples on the bottom of the tank. Once they are clamped, just cut them since they will be replaced. Do not have your face directly under the hoses when you cut them unless you like either the taste of old gas or smelling like it for two days.

Following the above procedures, you will have a tank ready to be freed, and 2 or 3 buckets of old gas that you will need to get rid of. I used most of mine in my lawn mowers until the carb on my push mower became gummed up. After that, I cut it with new gas for the mowers until it was finally gone. Since you are in California, I would assume that you probably risk arrest for even owning old gas, but there is most likely an EPA office at the end of every street block that can tell you what to do with it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Eric
post Nov 16 2012, 11:12 PM
Post #82

Member No.: 15,125
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Nov 16 2012, 08:53 PM) *

Do not have your face directly under the hoses when you cut them unless you like either the taste of old gas or smelling like it for two days.

Since you are in California, I would assume that you probably risk arrest for even owning old gas, but there is most likely an EPA office at the end of every street block that can tell you what to do with it.

Ken,
In general, your suggestions are pretty good. I didn't like the idea of trying to drain 2 or 3 gallons of fuel at a time out of the bottom.

Regarding my face...LMAO...Pretty sure I wouldn't have put my face under it. Do I sound that lame in my posts? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Also...I don't live in California any more. Moved to Northern Idaho in 2004. Your stereotypes about Cali have a lot more truth than you would think. That's why I moved to Idaho.

Thanks...
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Nov 16 2012, 11:27 PM
Post #83

Major Member

QUOTE(914Eric @ Nov 16 2012, 09:12 PM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Nov 16 2012, 08:53 PM) *

Do not have your face directly under the hoses when you cut them unless you like either the taste of old gas or smelling like it for two days.

Since you are in California, I would assume that you probably risk arrest for even owning old gas, but there is most likely an EPA office at the end of every street block that can tell you what to do with it.

Ken,
In general, your suggestions are pretty good. I didn't like the idea of trying to drain 2 or 3 gallons of fuel at a time out of the bottom.

Regarding my face...LMAO...Pretty sure I wouldn't have put my face under it. Do I sound that lame in my posts? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Also...I don't live in California any more. Moved to Northern Idaho in 2004. Your stereotypes about Cali have a lot more truth than you would think. That's why I moved to Idaho.

Thanks...

My attempt at humor. A large percentage of the guys here are on the left coast - I was really just throwing them a little softball.

With regard to draining the tank, I was stuck in the same place as you about a year ago. It needed to come out, and I had a few gas cans to drain into. I filled them all, and there was still fuel in the tank, so I put a tiny bit in each of our cars. Probably not a good idea, which is why I recommend buying the HD buckets. There are actually many places to dispose of old gas. The siphon pump from HD worked fantastically - much better than trying to drain from below.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Nov 17 2012, 11:57 AM
Post #84

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Looks like the clutch tube came loose at one point, and it was fixed by a U-bolt. That's not the typical spot for it (usually the bolt would be further forward), so it could be some other add-on.

--DD

QUOTE(914Eric @ Nov 16 2012, 10:13 AM) *

+Quote Post
914Eric
post Nov 17 2012, 12:40 PM
Post #85

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 17 2012, 09:57 AM) *

Looks like the clutch tube came loose at one point, and it was fixed by a U-bolt. That's not the typical spot for it (usually the bolt would be further forward), so it could be some other add-on.
--DD

This is probably a dumb question, but do you say that becasue there should be no u-bolt threads and nuts hanging down underneath, or because they are in the wrong place?

+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Nov 17 2012, 10:25 PM
Post #86

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

There wasn't a U-bolt in there originally. The most common reason for a U-bolt in the floor of the center tunnel is a broken clutch tube, which is not uncommon in the 914. But it's not in the typical place for that repair, so it could be something else.

The car looks really nice, BTW!

--DD
+Quote Post
914Eric
post Nov 18 2012, 10:17 AM
Post #87

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 17 2012, 08:25 PM) *

The car looks really nice, BTW!

--DD

Thanks Dave, and also for the clarification.

Yea...I thought the U-bolt didn't belong. Will add to my list of things to fix...properly.
+Quote Post
914Eric
post Nov 19 2012, 12:48 PM
Post #88

Fuel tank drained...Ready to remove.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914Eric
post Nov 20 2012, 04:09 PM
Post #89

This is the first time the fuel tank has ever been out, so what you are seeing is exactly how it left the factory in August of 1972.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Nov 20 2012, 04:29 PM
Post #90

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Wow that things a mess, better go to the east coast and get a real project, for cyrin out loud... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
914Eric
post Nov 20 2012, 05:28 PM
Post #91

A couple of more pics...

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Nov 20 2012, 06:03 PM
Post #92

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Hey Eric, this has been really cool to follow! Great looking car! I see you're in Northern Idaho. My family lives in Boise, and I'm headed up that way for Christmas, driving me and my dog in my truck. Depending on how far north you are and what Highway 55 is looking like, I'm usually in Boise for most of the week between Xmas and New Year's.

As a fellow Phoenix Red 73 2.0 owner (well, OK, it was a 2.0 ... see my sig) I have a small bunch o' FI parts and some other odds n ends that you probably don't need seeing as yours is as good as mine was when I got it in '07. But if there's something you're needing, let me know and I can try to see ask my mechanic if I have it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
914Eric
post Nov 20 2012, 08:15 PM
Post #93

QUOTE(Madswede @ Nov 20 2012, 04:03 PM) *

As a fellow Phoenix Red 73 2.0 owner (well, OK, it was a 2.0 ... see my sig) I have a small bunch o' FI parts and some other odds n ends that you probably don't need seeing as yours is as good as mine was when I got it in '07. But if there's something you're needing, let me know and I can try to see ask my mechanic if I have it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks Jon,
If you have all of the original FI components, I might be interested in the whole set if you would be willing. Having a few spares would be nice. Work me up a price and let me know.
+Quote Post
914Eric
post Nov 21 2012, 01:15 PM
Post #94

Bottom of the tranny has a nice oil "crust" all along the bottom. The other thing that jumps out at me in the second picture is the duct from the heat exchanger just hanging in the breeze connected with a zip tie.

If you look close, you can also see the aluminum foil wrapped around the fuel lines as a kludge fix to the "won't start when hot" problem. Really Dad??

The u-bolt fix of the clutch is also clear. The good news, is that I'm still not seeing any rust. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 21 2012, 01:22 PM
Post #95

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(914Eric @ Nov 21 2012, 11:15 AM) *
The other thing that jumps out at me in the second picture is the duct from the heat exchanger just hanging in the breeze connected with a zip tie.

Actually, someone added that hose to route hot air away from the fuel pump. The heater valve just dumps the hot air under the car when the valve is closed. Someone added a hose to the valve outlet to redirect the hot air away from the pump.
Not really a bad idea ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 21 2012, 01:24 PM
Post #96

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

Oh, and the rubber cooling flap on that side is mounted upside-down. The edge needs to point downward for it to work properly.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
914Eric
post Nov 21 2012, 06:46 PM
Post #97

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 21 2012, 11:24 AM) *

Oh, and the rubber cooling flap on that side is mounted upside-down. The edge needs to point downward for it to work properly.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

You have a VERY good eye Andy.

I was wondering about the flaps. One is mounted flush with the underbody and curved down...Which pushes air away from the engine.

The other has two inch bolts exposed and hanging down from the underbody with the flap mounted between the bolt head and another nut. This flap is curved up so that the air comes in the two inch gap and is then directed up into the engine. This actually looks like it would work better, but I was pretty sure that it was the one that wasn't the original design.

How does the one that pushes air away from the engine actually cool it? Some kind of low pressure drawing it away?

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Nov 21 2012, 07:09 PM
Post #98

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(brp986s @ Nov 7 2012, 06:42 PM) *

Alright! Nice cars all. Get plenty of baggies and containers for parts. Projects get started and then unexpectedly drag out over time and things get lost.

Don't forget a Sharpie to tag the bags!
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Nov 21 2012, 07:40 PM
Post #99

Major Member

QUOTE(914Eric @ Nov 21 2012, 04:46 PM) *

I was wondering about the flaps. One is mounted flush with the underbody and curved down...Which pushes air away from the engine.

The other has two inch bolts exposed and hanging down from the underbody with the flap mounted between the bolt head and another nut. This flap is curved up so that the air comes in the two inch gap and is then directed up into the engine. This actually looks like it would work better, but I was pretty sure that it was the one that wasn't the original design.

How does the one that pushes air away from the engine actually cool it? Some kind of low pressure drawing it away?

Eric, you are correct - the flaps are designed to create a low-pressure area in the underside of the engine bay. The engine is cooled by pulling air in from the top, pushing it through the tin and out the bottom. I don't think the flaps were on the early cars, but I can't tell you exactly when they were introduced.

Looks like someone did a fairly clever modification to yours in the hopes of keeping the fuel pump and lines cool to prevent vapor locks. The fuel pump was moved up front under the gas tank on '75/'76 cars for the same reason. Moving the pump up front is a common and relatively easy modification to earlier cars.

It is pretty clear from the extensive tweaks back there that your dad had a problem with vapor locks. I would think about moving the pump up front.
+Quote Post
cwpeden
post Nov 21 2012, 08:49 PM
Post #100

Great White North, huh?

Member No.: 6,693
Region Association: Canada

ok, why cant i see Eric's pics. The curiousity is killin me.
+Quote Post

23 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 03:51 AM