Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finally working on my shop, Got doors and trim on, almost ready for paint
JStroud
post Sep 29 2013, 09:59 AM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,594
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(bcheney @ Sep 29 2013, 08:20 AM) *

What does a lift like that go for new or used these days? Your shop looks nice.

New anywhere from $1500 -$6000+, I found my scissor lift on Craigslist for $700, found the two post on Craigslist too for $875, just have to keep looking.

Jeff
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
euro911
post Sep 29 2013, 10:11 AM
Post #62

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

I picked up a used Bend Pak LR-60 mid-rise lift for $600. last Wednesday. I had to drive 100+ miles (Santa Barbara) to get it, but it was worth it.

It came from a body shop, so it has a lot of Bondo dust on it, but a little 409 and some elbow grease should take care of that.

Attached Image

Keep checking on Craigslist (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Did you have to pull a permit for your shop, Jeff?
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Sep 29 2013, 01:17 PM
Post #63

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jsconst @ Sep 29 2013, 08:00 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 28 2013, 11:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 29 2013, 06:57 AM) *

Nice work Jeff. You will kick yourself for doing w/o a lift for so long.

Thanks Rob, it's really starting to come together. Exciting times. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Your right Michael, just the little I have used the scissor lift makes me wonder why I waited so long, used ones can be found cheap.....there's really no excuse.
I've spent way more money on less useful things....makes you think....what was I thinking....all that crawling around. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Jeff

You really appreciate things like a nice lift as you get older. The shop looks great. I really envy all the space. My "garage" is 17' X 17' with a seven foot ceiling. To make the most of my scissor lift, I half to take the roof off the car, lower the garage door about half way, raise the car so that the windshield and the targa bar fit between the ceiling joists. I've just had to learn to live with the space I have. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JimN73
post Sep 29 2013, 05:27 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 8,192
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Any time, Jeff. I'm always up for a field trip, especially if there's a good beer with it.

QUOTE(jsconst @ Sep 28 2013, 03:35 PM) *

Getting the lift off the trailer into the shop wasn't too bad. The HF car dollies came in handy.

One post up......one to go

Both up and in place, they barely fit between the beams....but they fit. Thats why I had such a hard time finding the right two post lift, most were too wide, thats why when I found this one for a good price I had to jump on it....Thanks again Jim.

Still need to drill the holes and bolt it down, then run the electrical. Should get that done tomorrow....then it will be functional. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Jeff

+Quote Post
r_towle
post Sep 29 2013, 09:21 PM
Post #65

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 29 2013, 03:17 PM) *

Thanks Rob, it's really starting to come together. Exciting times. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Your right Michael, just the little I have used the scissor lift makes me wonder why I waited so long, used ones can be found cheap.....there's really no excuse.
I've spent way more money on less useful things....makes you think....what was I thinking....all that crawling around. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Jeff

You really appreciate things like a nice lift as you get older. The shop looks great. I really envy all the space. My "garage" is 17' X 17' with a seven foot ceiling. To make the most of my scissor lift, I half to take the roof off the car, lower the garage door about half way, raise the car so that the windshield and the targa bar fit between the ceiling joists. I've just had to learn to live with the space I have. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

Nice trick, my car goes up one notch lower than complete.
It's almost 6 feet to the bottom, but I am 6'2 so I still knock my skull frequently.

Going to see if I can tuck it up with the roof off...in between the trusses.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Sep 29 2013, 11:11 PM
Post #66

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 29 2013, 08:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 29 2013, 03:17 PM) *

Jeff

Nice trick, my car goes up one notch lower than complete.
It's almost 6 feet to the bottom, but I am 6'2 so I still knock my skull frequently.

Going to see if I can tuck it up with the roof off...in between the trusses.
After I found I could get the car as high as possible between the joists, when I got the car back on the ground I marked the floor just below the wheel centers so I could position it on the floor and not have to guess if the targa bar and windshield would clear the next time I raised it.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Sep 30 2013, 09:36 AM
Post #67

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

a nice little front end loader, huge garage space, 2 lifts...heaven.
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Oct 27 2013, 10:45 PM
Post #68

Thanks everyone, seems like its taking forever, but life and work, and playing with cars keeps getting in the way. Nice find on the lift Mark, and you should know everything in California requires a permit, how else can they jack your taxes.
Haven't got the two post set up to use yet, looked up the electrical requirements for the motor, requires a 25amp 220 circuit, only have a 30 amp service to the building...up till now just needed lights and one outlet. I knew i needed to upgrade the electrical service....guess I'll need to get it done before I can start using the two post.
Had to use the sissor lift to pull the motor so I could take my tranny to the clinic.

Attached Image

Got the roll up door in, and the metal walk through door, did a little clean up inside and out this weekend. Still have some trim to finish up, then I need to get it painted so the outside will be ready for winter.

Attached Image

Jeff
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 28 2013, 01:11 AM
Post #69

Nice. Wished I had a big back yard to build my own shop. Down here, they want you to pull a permit to change your toilet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

Your electrical upgrade shouldn't be too tough if you installed over-sized conduits (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

These little mid-rise lifts are great. Just sorry I didn't get one years ago - would have finished a lot of projects a long time ago (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) ... hoping to drop the motor out of the bug for a quick reseal and clean-up this coming week (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Attached Image
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Oct 28 2013, 08:41 AM
Post #70

can you run a stand alone sub-panel from the main to power the lift?
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Oct 28 2013, 08:41 AM
Post #71

QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 28 2013, 12:11 AM) *

Your electrical upgrade shouldn't be too tough if you installed over-sized conduits (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I only used 3/4" conduit when I ran the service out originally. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
But, I can get three # 6 wire in 3/4 which will give me up to a 70 amp service.
That's going to have to do for now, should be enough. If not then I'll have to break out my trencher and run a new service to the main panel, but that shouldn't be necessary.

With the way the weather seems to be turning I should probably get the outside done first and painted, plus I have another car to pick up and get inside before the rain starts......oops.

Jeff
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Oct 28 2013, 08:54 AM
Post #72

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 28 2013, 07:41 AM) *

can you run a stand alone sub-panel from the main to power the lift?

This building is 60' from the main house where the main panel is, I have a sub panel in the building, but it's only 30 amp with only #10 wire feeding it. Running a separate line from the main panel would be more work than just upgrading the existing service, then running a plug for the lift from that subpanel. Plus the whole service needs to be upgrades anyway besides the lift, I've got my 220 compressor also, plus 30amps wouldn't even be enough for just all the lights and plugs I'm adding.

Jeff
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Oct 28 2013, 10:03 AM
Post #73

looks like its time for a 200amp panel. in the big picture the panel itself is cheap. when i r&r'd it was the new breakers that blew up the budget. like 914s. i'd put in a separate ground rod and bond for the shop.

k
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Oct 28 2013, 10:27 AM
Post #74

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Oh, that is the place you want to hold the next Nor Cal clinic. Nice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 28 2013, 02:25 PM
Post #75

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

It's just begging for a transmission clinic. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Oct 28 2013, 11:34 PM
Post #76

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 28 2013, 09:03 AM) *

looks like its time for a 200amp panel. in the big picture the panel itself is cheap. when i r&r'd it was the new breakers that blew up the budget. like 914s. i'd put in a separate ground rod and bond for the shop.

k

Main Panel is 200 amp now. I think just upgrading to the 70Amp sub panel in the shop will have to do for now, already have a seperate ground in the building from when I built it and installed the existing service, required for all sub panels in this county.

Jeff
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Oct 28 2013, 11:43 PM
Post #77

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 28 2013, 09:27 AM) *

Oh, that is the place you want to hold the next Nor Cal clinic. Nice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 28 2013, 01:25 PM) *

It's just begging for a transmission clinic. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I was thinking a place for any 914 events, work party BBQ's, just BBQ's,
clinics, whatever. I've got lots of room, RV hook ups, two RV dump stations.
Cheaper hotels near by, pool, spa, horse shoe pits, and I'm installing a lawn area with fire pit and BBQ back by the shop.

I put together a drawing to better illustrate the final layout, couldn't post it from my drawing file so had to print it and take a picture with my crappy old Iphone, so we'll see how good the image is but you'll get the idea.

Attached Image

Once I get it done I'll throw a BBQ, and we'll see how it works out.

Jeff
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 29 2013, 04:31 AM
Post #78

Now don't get too carried away with that large expanse of 'Lawn Area' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Nice layout (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 04:23 AM