Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally working on my shop
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
JStroud
With the purchase of my 3rd 914, and winter coming I thought it was time to take a break from the cars and start working on my shop. Originally I was going to build a seperate building, but recently we shipped my daughters horse to her in Texas, and now with only one left I started looking at the unused space in our barn.

I built the barn 10 years ago, as a 4 stall barn, 34' X 36'. Seperating off the two end stalls would give me a 24' X 34' shop....works for me. beer.gif

Here is the "Barn" end.

Click to view attachment

And the "Shop" side.

Click to view attachment

And the inside before the transformation begins.

Click to view attachment

So last weekend I started moving the horse stuff out, and tearing out the stalls.

Click to view attachment

Got most of it tore out, and used some of the material to start seperating the two sides. Had to leave one post on each side for now, supporting the roof. My engineer friend is designing a box beam to support it so I can take all the posts out.

Click to view attachment

My other buddy, concrete contractor, spreading the base rock.

Click to view attachment

Base in and spread, even had enough to start a driveway. aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment

This weekend got the base raked and compacted, put in some bracing so I could remove the last two posts, and started laying rebar.

Click to view attachment

Today finish up the rebar, and install expansion joint material around the edges.
Hoping to pour concrete this week. beerchug.gif

It will be nice to have the extra space this winter......besides what if I find another 914 I can't live without. lol-2.gif

Jeff
Tom_T
Jeff,

Hopefully you've got Visquene under there, so that you don't get rehydrolyzing of the horse urine acids filtering up through the slab. Probably want to put an epoxy sealer on top too in any case, just to be safe.

You may want to seal off the rafter space, do a vapor barrier & finished wall & ceiling in there too, to prevent the same urine acids from the active stalls coming across.

I say that since our 914s are so susceptible to the tin worm, and that urine acid will act in the same way as salt water spray, which I unfortunately have experience with on my 914. dry.gif

Up there in Galt/Central Valley, one of those thru the wall heat pump stand-alone HVACs would be nice too!

Nice big workspace.....I've only got a 1921 17.5 w x 18.0 d carriage house/garage which is packed with my 914, the 914 shell, & parts out the wazoo!

Have fun! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
JStroud
Didn't put plastic down, one side of the area was only used as hay storage, the other side was an oversized stall used only for birthing, which only happen once, but while my buddy was here with the bobcat, we dug out the dirt in that area and replaced it with base, compacting as we filled, so one side is 8" the other 24" in base rock. I do plan on epoxy sealing it once the concrete cures enough.

Do need to seal up between the barn side to the roofing, insulate, upgrade the electrical, roll up door, better lighting............I could go on, I'll be glad just to have the concrete poured for now to make it at least storage, the rest will come as time and $ allow.

I've got my 25 x 25 garage to work in for now.

Jeff
billh1963
Looking good!
Chris H.
OT? No sir...that news is ON TOPIC! smash.gif looks great Jeff. Perfect teener work space....until you buy more 914's.... biggrin.gif
JStroud
Thanks guys, actually there is Porsche content, two of the pictures have porsches in them, a 914 in one and a boxster in another.

Got everything finished yesterday, just waiting for my friend to pour it, should be this week piratenanner.gif

Jeff
pete-stevers
I like it ...workin ON the shop rather than IN the shop!
Thats what i am doing this year, insulation and insurable wood stove for heat
not to mention a bit of paint..
Vysoc
Awesome project, I would give my left #@$ for a set-up like that!

Enjoy...... most of us are jealous!!!

Good Luck with the pour!

Vysoc flag.gif

PS: I think I will just drill more spot welds out of a rusty floor board tonight!
JStroud
Well tomorrow's the day...pouring concrete at 8:00 piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Jeff
flippa
Looking good Jeff! That is going to be a real nice space when done.

I have the space on my property and already have plans for a pole barn drawn up. I just need the time and cash.

Good luck with the pour.
JStroud
Exactly...time, no cash...cash, no time. That's why this project has been put off so long.

Rain forecasted, hopefully it will be light, since it's under a roof it's getting poured.

Jeff
Cairo94507
When it comes to construction I am just a big kid. I love watching cement work being done. Have fun.
JStroud
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 16 2012, 06:03 AM) *

When it comes to construction I am just a big kid. I love watching cement work being done. Have fun.

Ya I like watching it too....not so much actually doing it. smile.gif
Can't wait to have done though.

Jeff
JStroud
Since the shop was going to take more than one truck could haul I decided to pour a slab in my dog kennel also. I had one area in the covered part of the kennel, that I didn't have a slab in.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The weather held off, only had a few scattered showers here and there. Got the trucks in and poured before the nasty weather hit.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The dog kennel poured and finished

Click to view attachment

The shop poured and finished piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

Now the fun begins, finishing off the inside.

Jeff
McMark
That is really awesome!
Gint
agree.gif Nice!
JStroud
Thanks everyone, I'm excited now w00t.gif having the concrete poured is a major hurdle, probably the most expensive part of the project. The rest I can at least do alittle at a time till it's done, but at least it's usable space now.

Now with two project cars and the shop to finish I should be able to stay out of trouble for awhile happy11.gif

Jeff
turk22
So Jealous.....
ww914
Man, what a nice garage. It sure would have been nice to install a sunken lift, but I know, lot of dough.
Drums66
.....Cool digs aktion035.gif
(so much you can do with that)
bye1.gif
aircooledtechguy
Lookin' good!!

You know what that needs now right?? One of these. . .
JStroud
A lift is in the future, but not in the budget for now. I did think about it though since I was pouring the floor, but decided I wouldn't want to permanently install one. I tend to change things around and would probably regret anywhere I decided to put it.

Besides I still have a lot to do just to get the shop finished, once it's done then I'll start thinking about lifts.

Jeff
carr914
When you get around to buying a Lift - Buy American. I have a Rotary 4 Post & love it. I have mine bolted into the floor, but they have a Caster kit so you can roll & move it.
Scott S
That is so cool. pray.gif

My dream is to rennovate a barn for a shop (and recording studio) someday (a wood barn).

I have all of my junk in a rented prefab concrete slab warehouse. It works well, but it is totally soul-less.

Again, so so so cool. Congrats!

beerchug.gif
wingnut86
Vedy nice Jeff biggrin.gif

Are you installing an overhead metal beam for hoist and rigging?

Seriously beautiful space - only gear heads, grease monkeys and rabid Porsche fans can truly appreciate the passion that goes into this work.

BillH1963 is thinking of expanding his storage out West- maybe you could rent him a space? He's starting his British collection though, so double up on cardboard and kitty litter happy11.gif
timothy_nd28
You should of thrown down some pex pipe before the concrete pour. Radiant heat is awfully nice in the winter.
arkitect
Thanks for posting your progress. I have a concrete slab to work on but its exposed so I am dependant on good weather to work on the car.

Nice to have a large covered area with power to work on the teeners. Good luck with your progress.

Dave
billh1963
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Nov 21 2012, 11:36 AM) *

BillH1963 is thinking of expanding his storage out West- maybe you could rent him a space? He's starting his British collection though, so double up on cardboard and kitty litter happy11.gif

Not storing out west. Although, I am looking a 914 in California biggrin.gif
JStroud
Thanks everyone, almost didn't post this, glad everyone is enjoying it.

Don't have plans for a metal beam, no hoisting with a 914 just jacking and jackstands lol-2.gif But its always something that could be added happy11.gif

Should be a fun project finishing the inside, I've almost got it pictured in my head.

Already got heat handled, bought this shop heater last year, put it in my garage for now....nice and toasty aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment
Oh, Bill if you buy a 914 out here and need temporary storage...I might have room.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone,

Jeff
timothy_nd28
That hanging unit should work nicely. Be very sure that this piece is indeed connected!
Click to view attachment
JStroud
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Nov 22 2012, 08:38 AM) *

That hanging unit should work nicely. Be very sure that this piece is indeed connected!
Click to view attachment

No worries, I'm a general contractor, it's connected, the piece on top is just an extra length of pipe I stuck on top as an extra heat shield, not really needed but I had it.

Jeff
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Here is my story. Restored my old 63 , in a 60 X 80 , very old pole barn, with dirt

floor, in 2000 ish, god you could have almost driven the 914 thru the gaps in the

sideing, started in Oct. finished in time for Hershey ,2001.

And I was 12 yrs. younger, with the help of 2 very good friends !!!!!

Sold that 914 to Bill H1963 a yr. ago June. Moved to the country, Yea Farmers !

I found a friend that owns storage facilites ,6 of them. So he ask me if I need room

to restore and build my 6. I of course said " YES ". he said i can have

2 ,( 10 X20 ,as in FREE , even will heat and install Elc. , I feel in and came out

smelling like a Rose. More to this, have to leave for my Daughters for Thanksgiving

Dinner. Wife says I am dead IF I don't come now. Mabe chapter 2 later.

Dave slap.gif

JStroud
Decided to take advantage of the extra bodies here today, and got some cars moved around. Pushed the yellow car down and put it in the shop, then pushed the black car in the garage, going to start removing the rotary engine tomorrow.

After I got the yellow car parked in the shop I started looking around.....I bet I could get six in there easy happy11.gif

Click to view attachment

Nice to finally have all my cars under a roof cheer.gif

Jeff
billh1963
QUOTE(jsconst @ Nov 22 2012, 11:56 PM) *

Decided to take advantage of the extra bodies here today, and got some cars moved around. Pushed the yellow car down and put it in the shop, then pushed the black car in the garage, going to start removing the rotary engine tomorrow.

After I got the yellow car parked in the shop I started looking around.....I bet I could get six in there easy happy11.gif

Click to view attachment

Nice to finally have all my cars under a roof cheer.gif

Jeff

I appreciate the offers of storage! biggrin.gif

However, it looks like you have enough room that you be buying up all the west coast cars for the next couple of months!
billh1963
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Nov 22 2012, 12:17 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

Here is my story. Restored my old 63 , in a 60 X 80 , very old pole barn, with dirt

floor, in 2000 ish, god you could have almost driven the 914 thru the gaps in the

sideing, started in Oct. finished in time for Hershey ,2001.

And I was 12 yrs. younger, with the help of 2 very good friends !!!!!

Sold that 914 to Bill H1963 a yr. ago June. Moved to the country, Yea Farmers !

I found a friend that owns storage facilites ,6 of them. So he ask me if I need room

to restore and build my 6. I of course said " YES ". he said i can have

2 ,( 10 X20 ,as in FREE , even will heat and install Elc. , I feel in and came out

smelling like a Rose. More to this, have to leave for my Daughters for Thanksgiving

Dinner. Wife says I am dead IF I don't come now. Mabe chapter 2 later.

Dave slap.gif

Dave....did you buy a 6 ?????
Gint
Lots of room in there.
jbyron
Real nice, Jeff. Green with envy :-)
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Bill, Not a complete one YET !!!! I have a 3.0 engine and trans. And verious other

parts, looking for a v. good body. Start date Jan. 1 st. , but my health is like a yo

yo right now. If I can't do that, then box it up & ship it to Scotty or Brad M. for

them to complete. Or if health doesn't improve enought to just drive it to Hersey,

East Coast Cook out, M.S.U.R. and may be 3 others. I will sell it or set it on fire

or blow it up. I really don't think thats to unreasonable ! Just 6 times a yr.

pray.gif

Dave slap.gif

JStroud
Started working on the shop again, so far its just been storage for the yellow 914, the black 914, the boxster, and my tractor.

Click to view attachment

Then I added the red parts car, but i've cut so much of the rear off and taken half the suspension off, so today I made a 914 dolly out of some scrape wood and some scaffold wheels, so I could move it around.

Click to view attachment

Started getting the side of the building ready to pour the slab for phase II, was supposed to be poured on monday, and could cure while I was at WCR......But No headbang.gif my EX- concrete contractor screwed me and couldn't get it done.
So Eric (erben914) and his friend (a concrete finisher), are coming over tomorrow to help me get it poured. Thanks Eric!! beerchug.gif
So I'll miss WCR but my slab will get poured.

Click to view attachment

Sooooo, since I wasn't going to WCR and had the time worked out to be off, I went and bought the materials and started building the box beams to support the roof.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Going up!

Click to view attachment

And finally in, that really opens it up.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Pouring concrete tomorrow, then taking the white car and heading to Capitola on Sunday to spend it with my Dad, then Monday he has a boat in Santa Cruz harbor, so its a little ocean fishing, then a drive back home. driving.gif My mini WCR aktion035.gif

Jeff
timothy_nd28
Consider throwing down some pex pipe before the pour. Heated floors are very nice
JStroud
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jun 14 2013, 10:18 PM) *

Consider throwing down some pex pipe before the pour. Heated floors are very nice

Won't need it for the added space, it's mainly for tractor storage, and parts storage, so the main shop area stays more open and uncluttered lol-2.gif but that's the plan.
Besides, scroll back.....I already have a rock'n shop heater, plus I live in California.....it doesn't get cold here. shades.gif

Jeff
Erben914
Not to be that guy but I hope you plan on putting post under all that beam you just built! I see it on the double plate but you should at least throw a 4x post in yeah? shades.gif poke.gif
Don't worry I'm still coming to help lol-2.gif
See you in... About seven hours. I better go to bed
rick 918-S
Are you planning a support here? The beam looks nice if you glued the box but supporting it on a single header is likely a bad idea.

Nice space beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
JStroud
Geez guys, give me a break, I barely got it up yesterday, (im old ya know) lol-2.gif it's not finished yet.
And yes eventually there will be a post to the foundation, but for you worry warts, the beam and the load it carries is not as heavy as you might think......it's not going anywhere.

Jeff
rick 918-S
QUOTE(jsconst @ Jun 15 2013, 07:09 AM) *

Geez guys, give me a break, I barely got it up yesterday, (im old ya know) lol-2.gif it's not finished yet.
And yes eventually there will be a post to the foundation, but for you worry warts, the beam and the load it carries is not as heavy as you might think......it's not going anywhere.

Jeff

Ya, your not carrying the snow loads we get here. bruce.gif dry.gif
JStroud
Concrete arrived on time at 6:30 this morning, Eric showed up with two of his kids, so we didn't have to work as hard. lol-2.gif

Erics friend Wendell is awesome, he pretty much did everthing once the concrete was on the ground, and it turned out great. first.gif

By 9:30 it was poured and finished. Thanks Wendell and Eric!

Click to view attachment

Now time to get the 914 cleaned up and ready to drive to Capitola tomorrow. driving.gif ......... Maybe after a nap, I am supposed to be on vacation.

Jeff
JStroud
Sunday Morning I drove to Capitola driving.gif and spent the day with my Dad.

I stayed over and Monday we went out on his boat and did some fishing.
Brought back 10 decent rock cod. Then a nice drive home. driving.gif

Took off early from work on Friday and got the second beam built.

Click to view attachment

This morning I went out before it got hot and started putting up the second beam.

Click to view attachment

Unfortunately I didn't finish before it got hot, but I got it done. beer3.gif

Both beams up, really opens it up.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Still have to finish supporting them, poke.gif but now I can start framing the wall between the two spaces, and frame the door opening for a roll up door.
Well that wore me out so now its time to grab a beer, beer3.gif beer3.gif lay on the couch, and fall asleep watching golf. yellowsleep[1].gif

More to come,
Jeff
JStroud
Well my trip is done, time to get back to working on the shop. Been working close to home, so took off early thursday and friday and got some walls framed for the addition on the side of the shop.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Still have a few things left to be finished with the walls, then start framing the roof so I can get the metal on. Working on it this weekend and next, and after work during the week I should be able to have it closed in soon, then just the inside to finish off.
Be nice to finally get it done.

Jeff
rhodyguy
very clever and cost effective with the box beams. did you glue them up too or just nails?

k
JStroud
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 14 2013, 05:30 AM) *

very clever and cost effective with the box beams. did you glue them up too or just nails?

k

They work well if you have the space, these were calculated with just nailing the plywood on....but I used lots of glue, stronger is always better.

Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.