Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> To Badge Or Not To Badge, Purist vs. Polished - A 914 Identity Crisis Emphasis on the Emblem
tumamilhem
post Nov 20 2012, 09:55 AM
Post #1

LUFTBRIGADE

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,092
Region Association: South East States

What you should know should you decide to badge your 914.

TO BADGE OR NOT TO BADGE. THAT IS THE QUESTION. ONE OF THEM, ANYWAY.

We all love our beloved Porsche, er...VW...uh, VW-Porsche 914s. Therein lies a silly to some, but in actuality, a long-time identity crisis for this car, particularly persuaded one way or the other by engine type (/4 or /6). Yet even the /6 with the Porsche engine was unbadged (save the model photographed for its Driver's Manual). Some may find this a silly issue, yet some purists remain conflicted to how they should - or want to ID their 914. Badge it, or not?

Those who are purists or make their cars Concourse may not don the emblem crest upon their bonnet - though may want to, but authentic integrity prevents them. Most of us go ahead and ID our (Porsche) 914 with the Stuttgart horse and coat of arms shield because of its nice finishing and polished touch.

So what are your thoughts on badging your car or not? And if not, what hesitations prevent you?

BEARING THE BADGE ON THE BONNET; BUT WHERE...EXACTLY?

If you decide to badge your car, where exactly is it placed? No crest emblems were ever applied by Porsche (or VW, obviously), save the only known car, the 914-6 on the cover of the Driver's Manual. Dealers gave the option to install, but how did they know where to place the badge (exactly)? Most simply center and place it to where they think it will look good. But if you want to don the Porsche crest on your bonnet, wouldn't you want to place it (and drill holes into your hood) exactly where it's "supposed" to be? According to the only known factory-placed Porsche crest emblem on a 914 bonnet, it is 80mm from the bottom point of the badge to the top of the bumper lead, centered in the middle of the bonnet.

Attached Image

Beautiful all original car tainted by incorrectly placed shield too high on the bonnet and slightly to the right of center.

Attached Image

The only known factory-correct placement of a Porsche shield on the bonnet of a 914 on the 914/6 Driver's Manual.

DONNING THE CREST. BUT WHICH ONE?

If you are going to badge your bonnet, you're also going to want to make it "authentic" by using the period correct emblem. Unfortunately, this is a bit tricky for a couple of reasons, one depending on what year your 914 is.

It seems somewhere in 1973 OR 1974, the Porsche crest changed. Conflicting authorities say it was changed sometime during 1973 and others say sometime during 1974 (instead of changing at the beginning of the year for more specific and simple identity). Ergo, some cars produced in that year (whichever happens to be correct) that donned the crest (911s) had one badge and at some point later in that year donned the "new" badge. So you could have two 911s of the same year and depending on when during the year they were produced would determine which badge would be correct.

Where this falls into place on the 914 is to know what period-correct badge (would've) gone on your car if it was factory badged. This is not an issue with late '69-'72 models or '75 and '76 models. However, if you have a '73 or '74 model, who's to say which crest is correct for your car? Depending on what time of year it was produced and which year it was produced (Porsche's website has both badges for 1973 year cars, indicating it may have changed sometime mid-1973. However other authorities, including P914.com and PorscheResource.com claim it was changed sometime in mid-1974, hence both badges would be period-correct depending on what time of year your car was produced). During the time the Porsche shield changed, be it mid-1973 or mid-1974, the most distinctive difference are the color bars. The prior years had orange and black bars, as opposed to the latter years donning the now more commonly recognizable red and black bars.

The other problem in badging your car "correctly" is finding the right badge. The early orange and black bar shields are difficult to find and draw a high price - and a lot of faux badges. More dimpling than the original, slightly off raised PORSCHE lettering, no marks on the back or slightly incorrect marks on the back or a smooth back, no solder marks where the pins are and slight curvature of the shield are identifiable signs of a high-priced fake, though many are difficult to tell apart. The latter early red and black bar badge is not as expensive, though still pricey as there have been three red and black bar badges to since follow it (one after 1976 being identical on the front but having full ID number on the back as manufacturer had changed), having transparent red bars as opposed to the original opaque orange and black enamel paint over the PORSCHE text with slightly different font lettering. The early red and black bar badges, being the most identifiable amongst the masses, are the most commonly fake productions.

Attached Image

Period-correct orange and black bar shield for early 1973 (or) early 1974 and prior Porsches. This one came off of a 1968 911E.

Attached Image

The evolution of the Porsche crest (per Porsche).

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 20 2012, 01:17 PM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Great write up!

In addition to the early 914-6 prototype(s) with the hood/bonnet badges (one of which is what was used for your owners manual pic above), both "factory custom-built" 914-8 (one for Dr. Porsche & the other for Piech) sported hood badges .... oddly enough both in different position by the factory, as shown below......

Attached Image

Attached Image

I personally prefer it closer to the leading edge of the hood/bonnet/lid, rather than further up, as did apparently somebody at the factory.

The lid's leading edge is backed up on the underside by the front cross-element of the lid's frame, so the placement will also depend upon clearing that brace, since in most cases you don't want a pin going through the skin+brace due to both the added depth & the fact that there can be movement between the two parts, eventually popping off the pin fasteners & loosing the badge somewhere on the road!

Part of the confusion on the 80 mm placement may be that the 914 has the deck lid PLUS the bumper top pad to a frontal start point, whereas the 911 does not & simply has a roll-over edge - ergo, one could measure from the leading edge of the front bumper top pad & back to the point.

Since it was a Dealer Option, perhaps there was a dealer service bulletin that came out in the day which told them where to place it on the 914??? Maybe some of our members who worked there back in the day could chime in if they recall anything of the sort? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Here is a confirmed dealer applied badge on a known original owner 72 914/4 1.7 of a long time buddy of mine.....

Attached Image

I've kept the pix all in the same orientation for ease of comparing locations.

As for your "To badge or not...." query, I too am still unsure if I will badge my early 73 914-2.0's front in my resto (she was never badged by the dealer AFAIK) - as well as the dealer option PORSCHE script positive side stripes, because I really do like the look & added bling on a L80E Light Ivory - basically white - 914, but then there is the originality purism question. So maybe I'll get another front lid, paint two & mount the badge on one, as the side stripes are vinyl & can be removed - since with off-white the fading would be minimal to none behind the stripes & between the deck lids. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Also FYI & for those interested, I just saw an ad in the Panorama that Porsche is again selling correct badges from the various periods' resto's, so NOS is no longer the only option.

Porsche also sells new correct 901/914 shifter knobs (shift pattern) & crush rings - which brings up another "badging" another dilemma for me, as my 73 914-2.0 had the dealer optioned leather/leatherette shift knob with the Porsche crest as officially sanctioned by Porsche, made by AMCO, & sold by Porsche+Audi dealerships & AMCO direct.

While Pat & many on here hold true to the "...only as is came out the factory doors originality test...." - my personal attitude on O&H correctness - & that of many multi-marque Concours d'Elegance organizations in the US & worldwide - is that anything should be a period correct original or true to original reproduction of items both from the factory &/or as available at the time "back in the day" from dealers & other factory authorized sources, such as the above badges, side stripes, shift knobs, etc. - which were considered "personalization" items by Porsche - as well as AC (VPC & DPD) - with any updates as necessitated by wear/age or law (e.g.: R12 to R134 conversions of compressor), and things like suspension bushings, Sachs, Koni or Bilstein shocks/struts, tires (a whole other size/type dilemma today), etc. which would need to be replaced with time & use.

We have to keep in mind that back in the 1950's, `60's & `70's that Porsche & many other European auto manufacturers did NOT provide a complete line of options on their cars - especially those for export to the USA & other markets, but rather authorized or licensed other OEM/OES manufacturers to make the parts & accessories to be sold through their dealerships etc.

Ergo, DPD, AMCO & others - and particularly Volkswagen of America (VOA) & it's Volkswagen Products Corporation (VPC) were authorized to make a number of products sold through Porsche+Audi dealerships (VOA dealerships also sold Porsches up to the 1970 MY, when they were required to open separate Porsche+Audi dealership facilities), while VOA was still the overarching corporate presence for marketing in the USA until the mid- or late-70's.

Likewise, even Porsche has reacted to changes over time in availability in tires, oils & other parts, and have offered factory guidance on what to use now in their recommendation bulletins/letters - and are therefore accepted by the penultimate "factory." (See the Porsche letter recommending 195/65R15 for 165R15 tires in the O&H "Wheels & Tires" nailed topic.)

Of note in the dealer options brochure pages below, that the alloy wheels & chrome tailpipe extension are parts shown in the 914 PET parts manual, and are listed therein alongside the accessory/option items made by AMCO (shift knobs, overriders & luggage rack) & by VoA/VPC (AC, center storage box & console, etc.) - so how one can draw an arbitrary line between factory made vs. OEM/OES authorized items all available to buyers & clients at their local Porshe+Audi dealership, as part of Porsche's corporate mixed sourcing & outsourcing strategy.

IMHO, this thinking of super-strict originality taken to the extreme, then leads one to say that an identical EFI part from a Bosch box & p/n is not original but the identical part from a Porsche box & p/n is, or ditto for your replacement shocks. While that is extreme, it's probably attractive to Porsche for parts sales revenue for as long as they're fully supporting a MY/model, but falls apart afterward.

That said, I believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and we all should accept that we'll have differences & respect others' choices.

So to badge or not - you pick either:
1.) I like a badge & will do it, or ....
2.) the "Badges.....We don't need no stinkin' badges....He-he-he-he!!!!! approach. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

1972 Dealer Options Brochure (courtesy of Jeff Bowlsby's excellent 914 website):

Attached Image Attached Image
Attached Image Attached Image

Note that these accessories/options above are shown for both 911 & 914 models, so dealer sold outsourced items were available for ALL Porsche models in that period, as are some sold even today.

I think that there was also a page or two showing the frontal options/accessories (e.g.: chrome front bumper overriders, etc.) - which may have also shown the front hood/bonnet/lid badge for the 914, as I recall seeing something of the sort when we used to go to the local LA Porsche+Audi dealership during college in 1970-74 just to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) & (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) !!!!
+Quote Post
Jaymann
post Nov 20 2012, 01:38 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,692
Region Association: None

I have decided not to badge,because I think, it looks more clean without it.I did buy a new badge for my car,(From someone here, who also is not going to badge)who figured after he painted his car,no way was he going to put holes in the hood.So, I got one for sale,if anyone wants one.Before, I put my rocker covers back on the car.There was nothing ,that said porsche, on the outside of the car.I got alot more attention then,from people just trying to figure out, what the hell it was.It still gets looks every where I go,but i am not getting chased down in traffic so much,buy people asking what kind of car is that.Do what you want,it looks good both ways, I think.It all depends what look you are going for.Jason from PA
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 20 2012, 01:56 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

The "badge" on the red prototype looks like a sticker and not a badge at all.
It has no depth to it.

Either way, prototype cars should not be in this discussion as they have many, many, many, many, many details that never made it into production.

Save that for another thread ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 20 2012, 11:17 AM) *
In addition to the early 914-6 prototype(s) with the hood/bonnet badges (one of which is what was used for your owners manual pic above), both "factory custom-built" 914-8 (one for Dr. Porsche & the other for Piech) sported hood badges .... oddly enough both in different position by the factory, as shown below......

Attached Image

+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Nov 20 2012, 02:07 PM
Post #5

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 20 2012, 02:17 PM) *

Great write up!

Thanks! And WOW what a great follow up to this! Great content you provided! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I never saw the badge on the orange 914 from the museum (have seen it there, just not the front of the car). I presume that's the other 914/8 made for the museum since it has the prototype front bumper. I've never seen a badge that low! Maybe because it's a prototype. I don't care for it there. I do like it nicely placed even with the headlights, mid-height (halfway up). Gives a nice, even symmetrical look.

Coincidentally, I have that chrome luggage rack that was a dealer option. It was on my 914 that I have up for sale in the classifieds (http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=197510&st=0&gopid=1769486&#entry1769486). I knew it wasn't an option from Porsche but I have seen the same rack on other 914s and presumed it was a dealer option fro another company (seen them on VW as well). So I do get yoru point on what was "factory" or not. I was mostly referring to what left the Karmann and Porsche factories, not what was made available at dealerships since we can all by "extras" that are accessories at dealerships that were not specifically intended by the car companies themselves. But I do see your point of view. I removed my luggage rack (though it did come in handy on a few trips to the airport) and was thinking of selling it separately if anybody may be interested in it. Very nice rack. No pun intended. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

The latter options look more for a 911. Not sure that roof rack would be too secure for a 914 targa top as opposed to hard body coupe. I recognize that center console with the two buttons from 911 and a few others. Never seen one on a 914. Nor that rear chrome bar.

Thanks for replying with such great info to follow this up! This is my first content thread here on 914 World (not including my classified ad and looking for members in my area). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

2 Points for the Newbie! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Nov 20 2012, 02:19 PM
Post #6

LUFTBRIGADE

In addition to the early 914-6 prototype(s) with the hood/bonnet badges (one of which is what was used for your owners manual pic above), both "factory custom-built" 914-8 (one for Dr. Porsche & the other for Piech) sported hood badges .... oddly enough both in different position by the factory......

Well if Ferry Porsche can badge his 914 then so can I! lol (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Nov 20 2012, 02:22 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

No badge. Cleaner look. It would just be stolen anyway with some nice paint damage.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 20 2012, 02:27 PM
Post #8

TMI....

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 20 2012, 12:56 PM) *

The "badge" on the red prototype looks like a sticker and not a badge at all.
It has no depth to it.

Either way, prototype cars should not be in this discussion as they have many, many, many, many, many details that never made it into production.

Save that for another thread ...

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 20 2012, 11:17 AM) *

Attached Image

Andy - his topic starts with mention of the 914-6 prototype photo as used in the production 914-6 owners manuals (& early 914/4 too??) as well as the photo of same, so I was merely adding that other prototypes & one early production 914-6 "photo car" had the hood badges.

I agree that it may just be a sticker on the red-orange 914-8, but the point was for placement as done by the factory in their considerations of where to place same. It being a sticker could explain why it's position would conflict with pins going through the front frame element on the underside.

IMHO the prototypes are appropriate here for the sole purpose of factory placement considerations, since at this point there is/are no other factory document guidance from them to the dealers, on where to properly place the hood badge when added by a buyer/customer.

PS - judging by post #5 above, the original topic starter agrees with my including it for reference info. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 20 2012, 02:42 PM
Post #9

Resident German

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 20 2012, 12:27 PM) *
his topic starts with mention of the 914-6 prototype photo as used in the production 914-6 owners manuals (& early 914/4 too??) as well as the photo of same, so I was merely adding that other prototypes & one early production 914-6 "photo car" had the hood badges.

The b/w photo from the owners manual does *not* show a prototype car.

Nothing in his first post is related to prototype cars.
IMHO, they add nothing to this discussion.

The image shown on the owners manual is of an early production 914-6 with 5-lug steel wheels and i can not spot a single "prototype" feature on that car.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 20 2012, 02:48 PM
Post #10

TMI....

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Nov 20 2012, 01:07 PM) *

Great write up!

Thanks! And WOW what a great follow up to this! Great content you provided! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I never saw the badge on the orange 914 from the museum (have seen it there, just not the front of the car). I presume that's the other 914/8 made for the museum since it has the prototype front bumper. I've never seen a badge that low! Maybe because it's a prototype. I don't care for it there. I do like it nicely placed even with the headlights, mid-height (halfway up). Gives a nice, even symmetrical look.

Coincidentally, I have that chrome luggage rack that was a dealer option. It was on my 914 that I have up for sale in the classifieds (http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=197510&st=0&gopid=1769486&#entry1769486). I knew it wasn't an option from Porsche but I have seen the same rack on other 914s and presumed it was a dealer option fro another company (seen them on VW as well). So I do get yoru point on what was "factory" or not. I was mostly referring to what left the Karmann and Porsche factories, not what was made available at dealerships since we can all by "extras" that are accessories at dealerships that were not specifically intended by the car companies themselves. But I do see your point of view. I removed my luggage rack (though it did come in handy on a few trips to the airport) and was thinking of selling it separately if anybody may be interested in it. Very nice rack. No pun intended. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

The latter options look more for a 911. Not sure that roof rack would be too secure for a 914 targa top as opposed to hard body coupe. I recognize that center console with the two buttons from 911 and a few others. Never seen one on a 914. Nor that rear chrome bar.

Thanks for replying with such great info to follow this up! This is my first content thread here on 914 World (not including my classified ad and looking for members in my area). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

2 Points for the Newbie! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Good job Newbie! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

The Bahia Red 71 914/4's dealer mounted badge uses approximately lines up with the leading edge of the headlight covers/back edge of the "eyebrows" to the left & right - which also nicely clears the frame bit on the underside, which is where I've seen most dealer installed optional badges, although the buyer/customer could pick their spot I'm sure.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-10181-1353435197_thumb.jpg)

As for the options -
correct on the roof rack - 911/912 hard tops only (it is a dealer options & accessories brochure for all models - not just 914);

the center console states it's for the 914/4 (as well as the tiny car silhouettes below each item showing vehicle applicability) & I've seen it in a few 914s back in the day - mostly on 70-72/73 914-1.7s since they didn't have the option of the 73-76 914-2.0's center console as an option until the 73 MY;

the 5 spoke "Fuchs look" wheel covers/hubcaps apply to either model as well, and I'd seen them both on 914s & 911/912 back in the day;

and someone on here recently had the bumper over-rider bars on a car &/or for sale separately.

With any of these options which puncture the sheet metal parts - badges, luggage racks, bumper over-riders, radio antennas, etc. - a big concern in using them has to be rust issues developing at those points.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 20 2012, 03:02 PM
Post #11

TMI....

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 20 2012, 01:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 20 2012, 12:27 PM) *
his topic starts with mention of the 914-6 prototype photo as used in the production 914-6 owners manuals (& early 914/4 too??) as well as the photo of same, so I was merely adding that other prototypes & one early production 914-6 "photo car" had the hood badges.

The b/w photo from the owners manual does *not* show a prototype car.

Nothing in his first post is related to prototype cars.
IMHO, they add nothing to this discussion.

The image shown on the owners manual is of an early production 914-6 with 5-lug steel wheels and i can not spot a single "prototype" feature on that car.

Andy, the hood badge in & of itself is a "prototype feature" not used on any production cars initially sold to the public. It was only on one or two 914-6's used in the 1969 pre-release promotional events & ads, and in the owner's manual pic.

Early 914-6s in the first few cars (first 10 or so) were not s/n'ed as were the initial hand built prototypes, but they certainly did have some elements which were either changed or not carried through into the full production run of the cars, as with the hood badge in the latter case. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

At that early date Porsche decided not to offer the hood badge as standard equipment on any 914 - not even 914-6s, but did continue to offer it as a dealer offered option in all 6 production years & thereafter. I was there then & saw them at dealerships 1969-76, and that was the way Porsche offered many options on their cars during that time, particularly AC for both 911/912 & 914 series cars since it was considered an essential option in the USA, but not in Europe - e.g.: a regional specific option (like Sweden, France or Italy specific items).

IIRC some or all of the US 914s also had the engine lid grill Porsche script letter badges added as part of dealer prep upon arrival in the USA, as were the 74 MY LE side stripes - in both cases due to the need to coat then remove the Cosmoline for protection during overseas shipment, so those are technically "dealer added options" offered only in the USA/NA market as well.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 20 2012, 03:14 PM
Post #12

Resident German

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 20 2012, 01:02 PM) *
the hood badge in & of itself is a "prototype feature" not used on any production cars initially sold to the public.

I don't agree with your use of the word "prototype". IMHO, you're using it in a much too general context.

There were only very few real 914 prototype cars and none of them should be part of this discussion.
Again, the car pictured on the owners manual is *not* a prototype.

There are plenty of production cars with hood badges to talk about (even if dealer installed).

I find it irritating that you need to refer to anything remotely deviating from production as "prototype".
IMHO, that dilutes the very meaning of that word.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Nov 20 2012, 04:02 PM
Post #13

LUFTBRIGADE

Come to think of it Tom, I do recall recently seeing that center console on a couple 914s in pics of cars for sale. I wonder what the two switches would've been hooked up to since most everything in the cabin is manual save the items that already have switches (lights, etc.). The only thing I can think of is the Euro rear fog light. But that also has its own place in the dash front for a switch if installed. Interesting.

Also regarding drilling holes for the badge (luggage rack, etc.), I dabbed a bit if paint around the cut rim so no metal was exposed. Painting the pins behind the badge may also be a good idea. That way there will be no rust. There's no rust in the holes where my badge is.
+Quote Post
jimbot2000
post Nov 20 2012, 04:09 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 14,083
Region Association: Europe

The 914-8 in the Zuffenhausen Museum has a sticker on the hood. I was there back in May and took a bunch of pictures of this car so I could see some details for my build. The front wings are also welded to the cowl. I thought that was pretty interesting. Anyway, here's some porn for you guys!
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
jimbot2000
post Nov 20 2012, 04:14 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 14,083
Region Association: Europe

Here's some more of the 914-8

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Nov 20 2012, 04:47 PM
Post #16

LUFTBRIGADE

I really dig the under curve of the chrome bumper and the wide oval air opening. pretty cool. I'd really be interested in seeing what those pop up headlights look like. They're so wide! Maybe dual lights in each? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 20 2012, 04:47 PM
Post #17

TMI....

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Nov 20 2012, 03:02 PM) *

Come to think of it Tom, I do recall recently seeing that center console on a couple 914s in pics of cars for sale. I wonder what the two switches would've been hooked up to since most everything in the cabin is manual save the items that already have switches (lights, etc.). The only thing I can think of is the Euro rear fog light. But that also has its own place in the dash front for a switch if installed. Interesting.

Also regarding drilling holes for the badge (luggage rack, etc.), I dabbed a bit if paint around the cut rim so no metal was exposed. Painting the pins behind the badge may also be a good idea. That way there will be no rust. There's no rust in the holes where my badge is.

I think in most cases they ended up as dummies, but they could also be used as you say for the rear fog light, or switching updated audio with a separate multiple CD unit in the trunk (remember those!?), or any other aftermarket add-ons.

However, I personally know of at least one (ex-)owner who used them to do an electric window conversion back in the mid/late 80's, which IMHO is silly to add that type of weight.

Before anyone asks, I don't recall what he used for power regulators, just that he was pleased as punch to show off to all of us. Of course we teased him that next he needed to upbuild his 1.7 for more HP to carry that extra window weight! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
bembry
post Nov 20 2012, 04:48 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 4,499
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

No badge for me. It just screams "LOOK PLEASE--I'M A PORSCHE TOO!!!". Nein, Danke.

The Porsche 914-8's very subtle flares are really cool though. Never noticed hem before. Other than those, I'm not into flares either.

Oddly enough, I do have the luggage rack--which I put on myself--and really dig it! I also have carbs, and I don't hesitate to use remanufactured parts, so I'm not an ultra purist.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Nov 20 2012, 04:54 PM
Post #19

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(bembry @ Nov 20 2012, 05:48 PM) *

No badge for me. It just screams "LOOK PLEASE--I'M A PORSCHE TOO!!!". Nein, Danke.

The Porsche 914-8's very subtle flares are really cool though. Never noticed hem before. Other than those, I'm not into flares either.

Oddly enough, I do have the luggage rack--which I put on myself--and really dig it! I also have carbs, and I don't hesitate to use remanufactured parts, so I'm not an ultra purist.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the GT flares. They protrude too much I think. Upset the flow of the lines. Maybe if they were softer coming out of the car instead of so immediate. But the flares on the /8 are nice. Noticeable but more subtle. And I like the downward angle a lot more than just sticking straight out like the GT flares.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Nov 20 2012, 05:01 PM
Post #20

LUFTBRIGADE

Just for the record since I started this thread, I'll throw my two cents in. I do like the crest on my bonnet, though I would want it period correct. I just came across a very nice period correct orange and black bar (the one I posted). It has a small chip in the corner of the orange enamel, but it gives it a more vintage look I suppose. Though if I were to have an all stock original and impeccable 914 for show, I probably wouldn't put it on even though I prefer it on. I think that's why I thought to do this thread. I would hesitate and may not, but prefer to badge it with a nice, period-correct crest for originality integrity.

Ideally I'd like to have two. A pristine, all-original car and one that I could (intelligently, not put a Boxster body kit and other ridiculous add-ons) modify and soup up power to. A nicely done conversion. Then, since it would obviously exceed its originality, I would have no problem cresting that one.

Still thinking on the all-original one though. Undecided. Either way, we all have our own tastes. The important thing is to do what you enjoy and what pleases you to make you happy.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:22 AM