Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Raddle Can Primer, what to use?
URY914
post May 15 2003, 08:41 AM
Post #1

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Group: Members
Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

I'm progessing to the point that I need to use a primer on my fiberglass and bondo bodywork. I don't have a spray set up so I need to use raddle cans.

What brand do I use that will be compatible with my final paint?
And I don't know what my final paint will be so I need something that will go with anything. I don't want the final paint to lift on me because I used the wrong primer.

Do I use Krylon Gray from Home Depot or Dulicolor primer from my FLAPS or get something from a auto paint store???

Thanks,
Paul
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 5)
fuch toy
post May 15 2003, 08:59 AM
Post #2

Unregistered

"I" would go to a auto paint supply and speak with the counter guy. A lot of the new paints are formulas that are compatible from etching primer, to base, to final. Talk to the experts and work from there.
+Quote Post
post May 15 2003, 09:02 AM
Post #3

Group:
Member No.: 0

I talked to an autoparts guy and he told me that primer is primer and to get the stuff from home depot if they ran out at the auto store.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
airsix
post May 15 2003, 10:55 AM
Post #4

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

QUOTE(L8Apex @ May 15 2003, 07:02 AM)
I talked to an autoparts guy and he told me that primer is primer and to get the stuff from home depot if they ran out at the auto store.

NNNNNNNNNNnOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Don't talk to the "auto parts guy".

Talk to the "Auto PAINT Guy".

HUGE Difference. The Auto PAINT store will likely send you home with some type of epoxy primer that is compatible with the paint system you are going to use (by system I don't mean spray equipment - I mean the brand of primer/sealer/paint to be used). On the other hand if you buy your primer at an "auto parts" store you will get can-O-shite arosol talcum powder dipsenser.

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
Kerrys914
post May 15 2003, 11:10 AM
Post #5

Dear, the parts I just sold paid for that part ;)

Member No.: 16

If you are going to finish paint your car with "Rattle-Can" top coat then use "Rattle-Can" primer!!!

You don't need a big compressor or expensive paint gun to spray primier.
PPG DP40 "epoxy primer"....about$60
Paint gun....$40

The thickness you need is HARD to get from "Rattle-Can" primers. If youget some primer from your Jobber that like Tower Paint it will be BETTER then the FLAPS or Lowes stff.

With that said....
For a very small area you can get away with a GOOD can primer. Not the $2.99 can but the $15 can.

Just my $.02 and I may even have $.01 left over (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I have primed my '74 with DP40 and am now putting 2 coats of PPG k36 high build primer, maybe this weekend. Top coat will be done the week after (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post May 15 2003, 05:12 PM
Post #6

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

I have used Seymour lacquer primer from the local auto paint supplier. If it says "sandable" it is lacquer, and should be fine under any enamel paint.
The cheaper the can, the less solids are in there. More solids means more buildup, allowing more sanding before paint.
Just my $.02 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 03:25 AM