Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Raddle Can Primer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
I'm progessing to the point that I need to use a primer on my fiberglass and bondo bodywork. I don't have a spray set up so I need to use raddle cans.

What brand do I use that will be compatible with my final paint?
And I don't know what my final paint will be so I need something that will go with anything. I don't want the final paint to lift on me because I used the wrong primer.

Do I use Krylon Gray from Home Depot or Dulicolor primer from my FLAPS or get something from a auto paint store???

Thanks,
Paul
fuch toy
"I" would go to a auto paint supply and speak with the counter guy. A lot of the new paints are formulas that are compatible from etching primer, to base, to final. Talk to the experts and work from there.
L8Apex
I talked to an autoparts guy and he told me that primer is primer and to get the stuff from home depot if they ran out at the auto store.
airsix
QUOTE(L8Apex @ May 15 2003, 07:02 AM)
I talked to an autoparts guy and he told me that primer is primer and to get the stuff from home depot if they ran out at the auto store.

NNNNNNNNNNnOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Don't talk to the "auto parts guy".

Talk to the "Auto PAINT Guy".

HUGE Difference. The Auto PAINT store will likely send you home with some type of epoxy primer that is compatible with the paint system you are going to use (by system I don't mean spray equipment - I mean the brand of primer/sealer/paint to be used). On the other hand if you buy your primer at an "auto parts" store you will get can-O-shite arosol talcum powder dipsenser.

-Ben M.
Kerrys914
If you are going to finish paint your car with "Rattle-Can" top coat then use "Rattle-Can" primer!!!

You don't need a big compressor or expensive paint gun to spray primier.
PPG DP40 "epoxy primer"....about$60
Paint gun....$40

The thickness you need is HARD to get from "Rattle-Can" primers. If youget some primer from your Jobber that like Tower Paint it will be BETTER then the FLAPS or Lowes stff.

With that said....
For a very small area you can get away with a GOOD can primer. Not the $2.99 can but the $15 can.

Just my $.02 and I may even have $.01 left over smile.gif

I have primed my '74 with DP40 and am now putting 2 coats of PPG k36 high build primer, maybe this weekend. Top coat will be done the week after smile.gif wink.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif
ChrisFoley
I have used Seymour lacquer primer from the local auto paint supplier. If it says "sandable" it is lacquer, and should be fine under any enamel paint.
The cheaper the can, the less solids are in there. More solids means more buildup, allowing more sanding before paint.
Just my $.02 smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.