Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> To blast or not to blast?, Striping chassis for repair.
914GTSTI
post Nov 22 2012, 09:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,123
Region Association: None

Who has stripped their chassie and had it blasted? The good and the bad. And what did you do to the metal after it was striped? My car will be on a rotisserie for the stripping.
Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Nov 22 2012, 11:53 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Seems that blasting would be the quickest and easiest way to strip it down and let you know what you're starting with. However, getting all the blasting material out of all the nooks and crannies can be a pain.

You might want to go and talk to the folks at Patrick Motorsports since you are in the Phoenix area. I think they've done a fair amount of 914 work and may give you some ideas.
+Quote Post
gopack
post Nov 22 2012, 11:58 AM
Post #3

CHEESEHEAD in CA, MARK

Member No.: 2,472
Region Association: Northern California

I had mine soda blasted, did a good job of taking off all the layers of paint, and left the body panels smooth and ready for finishing work. cost about $1000 though, but no danger of panel warpage, or adding a texture to the metal. and teh residues washes away
+Quote Post
Gint
post Nov 22 2012, 12:01 PM
Post #4

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

My /6 tub was dipped. The tub was painted and it's been sitting for 5 years since. No issues whatsoever from leftover acid/chem/whatever it was as most people fear. Worked for me...
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post Nov 22 2012, 12:38 PM
Post #5

Teener fo Life!

Member No.: 977

5 years? you need to get working on that!!:)
+Quote Post
cary
post Nov 22 2012, 01:07 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'd say it depends on your budget.

Dipping is the way go. I believe its the most expensive.
Its seems we're a little behind Europe in that regards. They have some new kind of elecroxxxxx process that is a rust prevention of some sort that is applied after its dipped and rinsed.
But looking at the pictures I saw you'd have to be a Gillionaire to get that to fly past the EPA.

So for most of us. Soda blasting is probably the best method. I think you'll be somewhere between $900 and $1200 depending your market.
+Quote Post
wingnut86
post Nov 22 2012, 01:28 PM
Post #7

...boola la boo boola boo...

Member No.: 11,645
Region Association: South East States

Many of the blasters down South provide an option for spraying on Metal Ready or similar. Problem is, that if they don't have access to the inner longs, etc., it's not addressing where the worst culprits lie.

I would opt for that if an option though...
+Quote Post
turk22
post Nov 22 2012, 03:11 PM
Post #8

Treetop Flyer

Member No.: 14,725

The dude in Italy had his car put in a kiln/oven and had the paint removed that way. Looked pretty good in the pictures.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 22 2012, 04:04 PM
Post #9

Resident German

Member No.: 179

QUOTE(914GTSTI @ Nov 22 2012, 07:51 AM) *

Who has stripped their chassie and had it blasted? The good and the bad. And what did you do to the metal after it was striped? My car will be on a rotisserie for the stripping.
Thanks!

Whatever you do, don't have it sandblasted. I made that mistake once. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)

Soda-blasting seems to be the least expensive of the good options. However, i don't think it will remove seam sealer or undercoating.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

PS: If you have it acid dipped, you need to open the longs and remove the heater mufflers first. They will otherwise be destroyed by the acid.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Nov 22 2012, 04:11 PM
Post #10

PMB Performance

Member No.: 1,110

QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 22 2012, 11:01 AM) *

My /6 tub was dipped. The tub was painted and it's been sitting for 5 years since. No issues whatsoever from leftover acid/chem/whatever it was as most people fear. Worked for me...

Not really... don't you remember that it took two days to clean up the acid in the seams? They were all rusting as the chassis continued to weep.

Soda blasted mine after I saw that. No regrets.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Nov 22 2012, 04:13 PM
Post #11

Mike Ginter

Member No.: 20

That's why I paid the big money having it finished when it was found and dealt with. Love Troy! No further evidence of anything like that after 5 years.
+Quote Post
BarberDave
post Nov 22 2012, 04:50 PM
Post #12

Barberdave

Member No.: 135

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Has anybody had experence with Dry Ice ? I here it,s pretty good and no media left to clean up. I did 1 with sand, never again . it took 5 yrs. before there wasn"t some in the trunks all the time. Dave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Nov 22 2012, 06:49 PM
Post #13

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188

Just had mine fine-grit glass-beaded ($800). Great results externally. Many layers of paint to go through.

I didn't do a rotisserie blast and had to mask off the interior/engine compartment/front-trunk, so I still have lots of dust to vacuum up after drives. Eventually It'll settle down I suppose.

I'd do it again with more attention to masking-detail. I think dry ice is the ticket but I didn't know about that one... dangit!
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Nov 22 2012, 07:21 PM
Post #14

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

Dipping = I have no personal experience so I wont comment

Soda = does a good job on paint but does nothing to the rust, bondo, lead etc. Leaves a residue that must be dealt with properly. This has become less of an issue in the last few years. The guy that comes to you ( how I had it done ) Isn't cheap, but neither is his setup. We had a Healy done, exterior only, and he charged us 1800.00

"sand" = It does a great job when the user knows what the hell he is doing. If he doesnt he can severly damage the car.Makes a big mess,it does leave ALOT of grit that will be coming out for years, and for me the finish is a bit rougher then I like, but it gets it all off. Would take me the better part of a day to do a small car, goes through a lot of sand

dry ice = I have no idea

dustless blasting = this is the system I now have after getting tired of the results with " sand " this setup uses a slurry of water and crushed glass ( recycled bottles ). There is no dust created so it takes minimal room. WILL NOT damage the metal. I have held this thing wide open 2" off of a decklid and couldn't warp it. The water washes MOST of the media off as you are blasting. It uses a chemical called HOLD TITE that is well known in the marine industry to prevent flash rust for up to 72 hours. Works quicker than my old pressure pot using sand, does a great job on paint, rust, bondo slows it down a little but it still does a good job on it. The setup is expensive,it requires a seperate tow behind compressor, if it sits more than 72 hours without being primed it definitely will need some touch up as the flash rust comes on quickly. The slurry does get packed into corners and crevices and doesn't rinse out all that easily. Goes through a fair amount of media

sanding = takes forever, makes a HUGE mess,2nd cheapest of all options if you do it yourself

torch and scraper = quiet, cheap, clean. Takes a long time, doesn't get into tight spots very well. Easy to warp the metal if you're not careful

chemical strip = caustic, messy, not cheap when you add up all the cans you will go through, PITA to neutralize and clean up after, doesnt get the tight spots well

They all have their ups and downs. IMHO...Go for what you can afford, just make sure the stripper knows what they are doing
+Quote Post
MDG
post Nov 22 2012, 07:30 PM
Post #15

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 22 2012, 08:21 PM) *

IMHO...Go for what you can afford, just make sure the stripper knows what they are doing

Ah jeez . . . he's talking aboot his car, Scotty . . . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
914GTSTI
post Nov 22 2012, 09:09 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 8,123

QUOTE(MDG @ Nov 22 2012, 06:30 PM) *

IMHO...Go for what you can afford, just make sure the stripper knows what they are doing

Ah jeez . . . he's talking aboot his car, Scotty . . . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Thats funny!

Thanks to all! I think I am going to go with Soda. Thinking about doing my self. Think I will rent a BIG compressor and have at it? Have the space at my shop,but we will see.

So,now its blasted,I was thinking that a weldable primer mite be best? Ideas?
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Nov 22 2012, 09:15 PM
Post #17

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE(914GTSTI @ Nov 22 2012, 07:09 PM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ Nov 22 2012, 06:30 PM) *

Thats funny!

Thanks to all! I think I am going to go with Soda. Thinking about doing my self. Think I will rent a BIG compressor and have at it? Have the space at my shop,but we will see.

So,now its blasted,I was thinking that a weldable primer mite be best? Ideas?

Spies Hecker and PPG both make a weld through etching primer. I don't use anything else. I've tried Bloxide too. It works, but makes a lot of spatter.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Nov 23 2012, 09:06 AM
Post #18

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

I am pretty sure Scotty B will stripping my Six in the next couple of weeks with this new system he has. We will all get to see it as it progresses. I can't wait. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
cary
post Nov 23 2012, 10:22 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Another new method is wet sand blasting. Its done by suction and a steam cleaner.
I'm heading out to the steam cleaner sales place on Monday to pickup some detergent for my parts washer. I'll have the guy walk me thru it.

I don't think it will work for us. 18 gauge just isn't thick enough. But I'll listen to the sales pitch. Might be useful in some applications.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Nov 23 2012, 01:44 PM
Post #20

PMB Performance

Member No.: 1,110

I saw that at SEMA. You must have a rust agent to mix otherwise it will flash rust before your eyes. Looked pretty cool though.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 08:06 PM