Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How long can you take to finish a restoration?
How long did it take you to finish your project car?
How many years?
Less than a year [ 8 ] ** [9.41%]
Nearly 2 years [ 11 ] ** [12.94%]
Closer to 5 years [ 34 ] ** [40.00%]
In the teens [ 8 ] ** [9.41%]
My kids have grown up since I started [ 8 ] ** [9.41%]
Maybe before I die [ 16 ] ** [18.82%]
Will I finish mine before Greenie does?
Yes [ 43 ] ** [50.59%]
No [ 34 ] ** [40.00%]
No, he has other to deal with [ 8 ] ** [9.41%]
Total Votes: 170
Guests cannot vote 
r_towle
post Dec 4 2012, 09:26 AM
Post #21

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 3 2012, 10:15 PM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Dec 3 2012, 06:25 PM) *
How long can you take to finish a restoration?

There's only two ways to restore a 914:

1. Do it right the first time and spend a lot of time and money to get every last bit the way you want. This can easily take 5 years or more.

2. Do it somewhat quicker by cutting corners. When you're done, you'll enjoy the car for some time but all the while you'll have that nagging feeling that you didn't do it right the first time so eventually you'll end up doing it all over again. See 1.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

I believe that there is a requirement to have two cars to comply with both 1 and 2 above.

Drive and enjoy one, while building the second one the right way.

If you are not driving a 914, its hard to stay motivated to fix up the perfect car.

So, go out and buy a POS 914 driver...to remember why you started painting the universe in the first place.
Then, finish up the blue car, and sell off the driver.

Rich
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Dec 4 2012, 09:35 AM
Post #22

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 3 2012, 08:15 PM) *

1. Do it right the first time and spend a lot of time and money to get every last bit the way you want. This can easily take 5 years or more.

2. Do it somewhat quicker by cutting corners. When you're done, you'll enjoy the car for some time but all the while you'll have that nagging feeling that you didn't do it right the first time so eventually you'll end up doing it all over again. See 1.

3. Pay a high quality restoration facility to work on it 8 hours per day. $$$,$$$
+Quote Post
post Dec 4 2012, 10:17 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Dec 3 2012, 08:04 PM) *

The problem with finishing a car... what do you do when you're done?

Start another project
+Quote Post
boogie_man
post Dec 4 2012, 10:17 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 12,969

I'm trying the 2 year plan (my co-worker's say 5 years) I only have the
floor rust (minor) to complete and I'm in 1st 2 part primer. Started it
4th of July weekend last year. It has been a lot of work for sure but it's
really starting to look like a car now which is very rewarding. Not spending
a lot of time on it (not 8 hours a day) but it's getting there and it shows.

4th of July weeekend:
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img.photobucket.com-12969-1354637874.1.jpg)

Now:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img.photobucket.com-12969-1354637875.2.jpg)

I say to myself under my partical mask "no turning back now" LOL !!!

you will always find help on this site, great GREAT bunch of peeps.

Scott
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 4 2012, 10:53 AM
Post #25

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

It takes as long as it takes! The classic car & resto magazines feature some taking 10-30+ years! Life gets in the way & (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) happens!

Mine had to sit 25+ years in my garage after getting whacked (after a 80-83 DD level resto/refurb/mech. rebuild) for my kids to grow up, go to college & move out - and even now stuff & other projects keep bumping it!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Do what you can, when you can, as you can afford it, and it will eventually get done if you want it to and stick with it. Yours looks pretty far along from the pic, especially compared to mine! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
JoeSharp
post Dec 4 2012, 12:20 PM
Post #26

In Irvine, Ca. May 15-18

Member No.: 898
Region Association: South East States

I believe there is a guy here that took 25 years and is driving the car today. I have seen the car at the G and R swapmeet. Nice car.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Dec 4 2012, 12:33 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

Tooo loooong!
+Quote Post
Rand
post Dec 4 2012, 01:48 PM
Post #28

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Not being able to drive it would drive me crazy.

I believe in doing it right, but if doing it right means you don't know when you'll be able to drive it.... Then find another one.

If you can't finish it in time to drive it down the street (not at dark because you're too old for that anymore) before you die, then it's like building models. Ok, this is cooler than a Revell, but...

Depends on you. Maybe you want something to look at when you're old. Take as long as you want. The longer it takes the less it matters.

The real question is, how bad do you want to drive it?
+Quote Post
whatabout1
post Dec 4 2012, 03:50 PM
Post #29

Toys in Red

Member No.: 5,676

I got my '73 in '83. Drove it in Mn summers. Blew it up in '93.

Then i had a great job and time. (seldom get both) so in with the 2.7,
930 susp, bremtechs, quaffe.... Drove it for 1 summer and back apart to improve.

Then got a really great job ! No time and into storage it went.

17 yrs later, I have acquired some nice bits for her, she is out of storage,
and I just retired. Now I have time !
+Quote Post
euro911
post Dec 4 2012, 05:34 PM
Post #30

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(whatabout1 @ Dec 4 2012, 01:50 PM) *
I got my '73 in '83. Drove it in Mn summers. Blew it up in '93
... Now I have time !
In less than a month, it'll be 2013. Starting to see some sort of numeric pattern here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Dec 4 2012, 06:57 PM
Post #31

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I am hoping to see mine in my garage in the spring of 2014.....so a little while longer.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Dec 4 2012, 07:20 PM
Post #32

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414

My blue car (the Rockin 914) took 2.5 years starting with never having changed my own oil much less welded anything. I did it all myself except building the engine, which McMark did for me. Now Joe from Series9 has the electromotive ITB setup running really sweet. Of course, it will never be really finished...I am sure it will end up as a GT clone with flares, roll bar, etc. or all balled up in the woods at Roebling.

I think the IMSA car I have has taken 2 years of actual work interrupted by time I spent on the blue car. I am sure it will take another year to be running, maybe sped up by having Joe help me again.

I have a red 1972 that is in pretty good shape I want to do in under a year. I plan to cut open the longs and send it out for dipping to save time and effort. It will be all stock so that makes it much easier once you have done one before. The race car has taken a long time because everything is unique and has to be researched and figured out.

John
+Quote Post
mr914
post Dec 4 2012, 07:28 PM
Post #33

914 Hillbilly

Member No.: 131

13 years and counting.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

Just buy a couple of 911's, a 6 conversion or two. And work around the world without selling the house or moving....

Then like the pink Floyd song, and ten years go by and you miss the starting gun

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 4 2012, 08:31 PM
Post #34

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 4 2012, 10:26 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 3 2012, 10:15 PM) *

I believe that there is a requirement to have two cars to comply with both 1 and 2 above.

Drive and enjoy one, while building the second one the right way.

If you are not driving a 914, its hard to stay motivated to fix up the perfect car.

So, go out and buy a POS 914 driver...to remember why you started painting the universe in the first place.
Then, finish up the blue car, and sell off the driver.

Rich

I agree. Nice to have one to drive while one is getting built.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Dec 4 2012, 10:51 PM
Post #35

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

In all fairness, I can use the excuse that I did a creamsickle since I started my restoration. I spent a few hours in the garage this afternoon and I can get at the car now. Parts are still in boxes, but at least the boxes are up on shelves rather than stacked next to the car.
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Dec 5 2012, 07:38 AM
Post #36

shoguneagle

Member No.: 84

True, it is nice to have one to drive while you are restoring another. No room and it is cold out in the garage during the winter months. etc. etc. etc. Whatever the reason it has taken me seven plus years (and still not done) is immaterial, the building process is very enjjoyable. I have made several changes along the way and everything is closing mechanically. Need to paint and put the seals in the car.

Started this project somewhere around the time Sir Andy started and his has been completed for several years.

Excuses??? None, I just enjoy working on the project and making changes as I see needed as we move through the restoration/restoring/maintenance process. The car has been running with the 3.2 sixer and everything rebuilt for the past three years. Final changes to the front and rear suspensions this next spring, moving, and then painting and completion assembly.

What keeps interest? Reading and following other member projects, and getting advise from our members. I do take the car out and drive it around the neighborhood during the spring, summer, and fall; not the winter since there is usually snow and cold.

I have other vehicles that keep my interest and that I drive which includ a C-5 Corvette, Lotus Esprit, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Wrangler, and Chev Pickup. Enjjoy them all and always plan other projects on paper.

Afterall, when you are sick, go 100% since there is not any cure.

Steve
+Quote Post
d914
post Dec 5 2012, 02:22 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 904

2kids in college, a divorce , travel 3-4 days a week and trying to date actual women,,,, 5 years and counting! Hopefully 2013....
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Dec 5 2012, 08:48 PM
Post #38

The Aircooledtech Guy

Member No.: 9,730

This is how I am doing my shop-car and have been able to make good steady progress:

1. Made a basic outline of what I wanted to do with the car.
2. Split it up into phases 1, 2, 3 etc. This is really important; if an entire restoration is looked at as one big job, it's easy to get overwhelmed and loose focus. Before you know it months or years have passed and no progress. . .
3. Make a detailed list of goals and tasks for each phase.
4. Between each phase, I get some seat time to drive and enjoy the car. This keeps me motivated and excited to get to the next phase.

If you ever itch for driving a 914, let me know. You can take mine for a weekend or whatever and get motivated again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) After a couple days driving my tired 1.8L, you'll be itchin' to get that six installed in yours (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Sea Dragon 914
post Dec 5 2012, 09:53 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 358

I don't feel so bad now after reading how long it has taken others to finish their restorations.

My orange race car is pretty much done. I had it painted in the early 90's and it runs well. It sat in my friend's shop for over 5 years (he also tracked it for a few years) until he said he needed the room in his shop. So, I drove it home and it sat in my driveway for 5 years (during which time the heat exchangers and muffler rotted out). Two years ago I moved it into the garage (WRX sits in the driveway now) and put in stainless heat exchangers and Bursch exhaust. Since then, I drive it occasionally on the weekends when the weather is nice.

My LE has been sitting dead in my garage since 2001 when I moved into my current house and needs restoration. Prior to moving to my current house, I had it re-painted by what I thought was a reputable paint shop. I also rebuilt the engine. A few years after the re-paint, the paint started peeling. After I moved to my new house in 2001, I ended up with an electrical problem (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) (the fuse in the engine relay board connected to the fuel pump blows when I turn the ignition hot - I don't know if it is a short in the wiring from the fuse box to the pump or if it is just a locked up pump). So, the car has been sitting in the garage since 2001 and the interior and trunks are filled up with car parts and other stuff. I need to solve the electrical problem and want to get the car re-painted.

My Aubergine car is my daily driver. My dad gave it to me 7 or 8 years ago and I've been driving it pretty much daily. I thought I was going to restore it when I got it from but I pretty much have been just maintaining it. I have the parts for the engine re-build (it is on the original engine; my dad was second owner and he had all of the maintenance records up to the point he bought the car) but haven't done anything. I also have a spare complete 2.0 engine that I am planning to rebuild so I can just swap engines. I'm looking to build either a 2056 or a Euro spec 2.0 with a mild cam that will work with stock injection. The paint is shot but the body is straight and I want to get it re-painted by summer.

We'll see what state the cars are in next summer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Dec 6 2012, 11:54 PM
Post #40

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Dec 5 2012, 06:48 PM) *

This is how I am doing my shop-car and have been able to make good steady progress:

1. Made a basic outline of what I wanted to do with the car.
2. Split it up into phases 1, 2, 3 etc. This is really important; if an entire restoration is looked at as one big job, it's easy to get overwhelmed and loose focus. Before you know it months or years have passed and no progress. . .
3. Make a detailed list of goals and tasks for each phase.
4. Between each phase, I get some seat time to drive and enjoy the car. This keeps me motivated and excited to get to the next phase.

If you ever itch for driving a 914, let me know. You can take mine for a weekend or whatever and get motivated again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) After a couple days driving my tired 1.8L, you'll be itchin' to get that six installed in yours (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Let me get my SL out of the shop and I'll take you up on that. I'm guessing you might enjoy driving it for the weekend in exchange. I'm just having a ABC valve replaced in the rear
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 07:38 AM