Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT - Question for guitar players
porschefool
post Nov 5 2004, 10:54 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,010

I've got a $20 acoustic (Willy) that stays in tune better, sounds better, and plays better than my $500 12-string...

I can't really buy the best of everything, (unlike you rich, flare-havin', /6 installin', fancy beer-drinkin' guys :finger2: )

But I was very pleasantly surprised at this guitar. I always pick it up before any of the others... like the teener, it doesn't have to cost alot to be worth alot... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Nov 5 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #22

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

After struggling with some cheaper acoustics, I started checking out the Taylors, and they are really hard to beat. Even the cheapest Taylors play about as good as the high dollar ones. Shop around and see if you can find a good used one. I got a better one than I planned (715CE) for about 30% off because it was barely used, and that was at a music store.

My first was a Stella Harmony, and I've still got it, then a Dan Electro Sears Silvertone electric with the amp in the case, then a Epiphone 12 string (whose neck warped after a couple years), and then I got a decent Strat copy and a Peavey amp, after that it was a Gibson RD Artist, a Yamaha 12 string, a Alvarez acoustic, then the Taylor. I've had a Seymore Duncan pickup put in the Strat copy and a little neck work done on it.

Maybe I should revive the "All 914 Band" thread, and we can schedule a plugged up, rocked out jam for a future 914 event???

Nothing beats the sound of a good tube amp, I've got an older Peavey 65 watt all tube that is smooth and sweet if you over work it.

A ton of effects can cover up a marginal player, but a good player always sounds better.
+Quote Post
redshift
post Nov 5 2004, 11:16 PM
Post #23

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

When you guys are ready to spend around 2k to start for an electric, and around 3k for an acoustic...

CUSTOM GUITARS FOR SALE! CUSTOM GUITARS FOR SALE!

CALL MEEE!

M
+Quote Post
Hi_Fi_Guy
post Nov 5 2004, 11:34 PM
Post #24

Tuetonic terror

Member No.: 1,019

I have a decent Yamaha nylong string acoustic that was less than $200. Surprised by how good it is actually compared to many more expensive makes. Always good fun to put down the Strat and reinvent the same tune on the acoustic.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Nov 6 2004, 03:34 AM
Post #25

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I am constantly initiating people into the guitar world and the number one concern to them is cost. Now, since he is new and will soon want to bring his acoustic with him everywhere I recommen that you get a tough, deascent sounding, inexpensive type. My recommendation would be for the low end Epiphone acoustic (usually around $149) or low end Fender acoustic (about the same price). I have always had one of these two in my stash (I like the epiphone best). They are great for camping, taking to school and they sound pretty good. As for effects, I would recommend an Ibanez TS-9 tube screamer, a cry baby wah pedal (sounds good with a strat, but not with my guitars), or a Morely wah pedal which I perfer. The first two are classics and will give him a sound that is close to what he is listening to.
HTH
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Nov 6 2004, 03:35 AM
Post #26

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

QUOTE(porschefool @ Nov 5 2004, 08:54 PM)
I've got a $20 acoustic (Willy) that stays in tune better, sounds better, and plays better than my $500 12-string...

I can't really buy the best of everything, (unlike you rich, flare-havin', /6 installin', fancy beer-drinkin' guys :finger2: )

But I was very pleasantly surprised at this guitar. I always pick it up before any of the others... like the teener, it doesn't have to cost alot to be worth alot... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Okay...I'm not computer (forum) literate enough to reply to all of the info/feedback that's been offered in one post, sooo pardon the multiple posts here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

Never heard of a "Willys" guitar, might want to hang on to it.....could be a "classic" that's worth big bucks by now....never know! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

My first Selmer trumpet (Paris 1918....or somethin' like that) that my parents bought for $40 (which I still have) is worth more than $900 now.

I'm a "dirty factory worker" as one of my friends ex-girl friends so eloquently put it, so no big bucks here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (close as a "bitch-slap" as I could come with the current emoticons (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) , blue collar and AB beer products all the way (although, I'm sucking on a Becks right now, it was on sale......DAMN I use a lot of parentheses when I write stuff!!). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Nov 6 2004, 04:06 AM
Post #27

aircraft surgeon

QUOTE(9146986 @ Nov 5 2004, 09:06 PM)
After struggling with some cheaper acoustics, I started checking out the Taylors, and they are really hard to beat. Even the cheapest Taylors play about as good as the high dollar ones. Shop around and see if you can find a good used one. I got a better one than I planned (715CE) for about 30% off because it was barely used, and that was at a music store.

My first was a Stella Harmony, and I've still got it, then a Dan Electro Sears Silvertone electric with the amp in the case, then a Epiphone 12 string (whose neck warped after a couple years), and then I got a decent Strat copy and a Peavey amp, after that it was a Gibson RD Artist, a Yamaha 12 string, a Alvarez acoustic, then the Taylor. I've had a Seymore Duncan pickup put in the Strat copy and a little neck work done on it.

Maybe I should revive the "All 914 Band" thread, and we can schedule a plugged up, rocked out jam for a future 914 event???

Nothing beats the sound of a good tube amp, I've got an older Peavey 65 watt all tube that is smooth and sweet if you over work it.

A ton of effects can cover up a marginal player, but a good player always sounds better.

I had no idea there was that many guitar players on this board! I knew about Scott Schroeder and Miles being in bands from past posts, but this is cool!!....makes me want to start playing again (Neil Young must have been talking about 914's when he wrote "Rust Never Sleeps"...."Hey, hey, my, my.....914's will never die".....Janis Joplin...my friends all drive Porschees, they must make some 'mends')

You've got a lot of instruments and accessories my friend!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Nov 6 2004, 04:09 AM
Post #28

aircraft surgeon

QUOTE(redshift @ Nov 5 2004, 09:16 PM)
When you guys are ready to spend around 2k to start for an electric, and around 3k for an acoustic...

CUSTOM GUITARS FOR SALE! CUSTOM GUITARS FOR SALE!

CALL MEEE!

M

If'n I had 2-3K laying around, I'd be asking about "how do I install my new Nickies"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Carlitos Way
post Nov 6 2004, 04:10 AM
Post #29

I did it MY WAY

Member No.: 2,757
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif) First gig for the 914 band at the West Coast Classic. Anyone wanna help put together the set? We can all learn our "tabs" in the meantime and put it all together with a PA at that time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif)

Oh, and I get to be the lead singer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Carlos
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Nov 6 2004, 04:28 AM
Post #30

aircraft surgeon

QUOTE(Hi_Fi_Guy @ Nov 5 2004, 09:34 PM)
I have a decent Yamaha nylong string acoustic that was less than $200. Surprised by how good it is actually compared to many more expensive makes. Always good fun to put down the Strat and reinvent the same tune on the acoustic.

I'm kind of getting the same advice from Mike (Dr. Evil), (the post below you.....or above me...depending on which you look at it.), buy a cheaper one that he won't be afraid to put a scratch on.....He treats his Strat like it was dog crap on rice paper[carefully (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) ], very respectful of the instrument. But then again, what fun is a guitar if you can't have fun with it (chick magnet at the campground (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) )!
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Nov 6 2004, 04:45 AM
Post #31

aircraft surgeon

QUOTE(cmolina @ Nov 6 2004, 02:10 AM)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif) First gig for the 914 band at the West Coast Classic. Anyone wanna help put together the set? We can all learn our "tabs" in the meantime and put it all together with a PA at that time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif)

Oh, and I get to be the lead singer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Carlos

Here you go Carlos...........Classical Gas by Eric Clapton. Almost looks like music of some sort, haven't 'fingered' it out myself.

http://www.guitartabs.cc/fetchurl.php?file...assical_gas.tab

Think of a song, they've got it!

Dustin can read it like a book.....hey whatever works!.......... I'll stick to my Treble Clef method.

I think the "914 Club Band" would be the shizzle at one of the events, but if you have a passenger, where would you pack a guitar in a 914? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Nov 6 2004, 08:19 AM
Post #32

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

If budget is a big concern (when isn't it??). I'd recommend getting a nylon string classical style guitar, one of those with the big fat wide neck. Generally speaking, this is what many instructors prefer for first instruments, as it has very generous string spacing.

If your kid has skipped over acoustic guitar, then you need to focus him toward that. Although I did recommend looking for a high quality guitar, in reality one that is harder to play will build his fingers and callouses. He may gripe about it, but it really is the best way to improve playing.

The biggest problem I see with the "All 914 Band" is that you can't get much gear in a 914, let alone travel to a event..... hmmmm

OK, we'll have a spring event here at my place in TN. I've got a pretty good 914 shop for the car stuff, and I've got a good set of Pearl drums, some keyboards, a bass and amp, a practice PA, and a few guitars...... any takers?? THREAD HIJACK!
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Nov 6 2004, 11:07 AM
Post #33

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

My Tele case fits in the rear trunk. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The cool thing is... guitars are getting much better in quality for much less dough. The market revenue is flat while unit sales soar. This is both good and bad.

Good = More people playing guitar and interested in music vs. "Gameboys"

Bad = It's all having to be made overseas where Tao Chin Ho works for $0.50 per day (no offense intended... you're welcome to call me John Smith)

Good = You get a good guitar at a good price.

Bad = Company's have to do 40% more to get the same revenues so, dumping boatloads in one simple order to chain outlets is attractive. The McMurry's, St. Charles Guitar Exchange, Skips, Gelb, Showcase, Haute and countless other independents of the world then suffer. Even the Wal*Marts and COSTCO's are getting involved.

My guess is that a decent American made acoustic will start at the "Takoma" pricing and go up from there. Others will be made overseas and frankly... the quality is damn good these days (for what you're looking to buy).

As I see it the criteria is $200 and this kids a player already (Strat and Marshall and pulling all sorts of TAB off the Internet) Miles nailed it in an earlier post. Look for a "Solid Top" folk acoustic (steel string not nylon classical). Classicals are cool for their unique inherent sound but... that's not what this kid will be going for right now. He'll be looking for cool acoustic parts in todays current tunes... those are all steel string folk style acoustics. He's playing an electric right now so even "most" acoustic spacing will be slightly larger than what he has. When he really becomes proficient then a classical should be in his arsenel. An earlier post recommended an acoustic/electric... that would be great if you could find it in the price point. I'd recommend a full size (dreadnaught or similar) with a cut-away and a pickup installed. Takamine's are great options there and the Tak brand manager is a good friend. Full size because, if need be, they can be played non-electric and sound great.

Happy Holiday Hunting...

My $0.02 whether you asked for it or not! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
John Kelly
post Nov 6 2004, 12:01 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 640

I've had dozens of guitars over the years. Right now I'm playing a Heritage Eagle jazz box. I like it a lot. For a nice cheap little guitar a Goya acoustic (second hand) I had a while back was pretty nice.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Nov 6 2004, 01:04 PM
Post #35

aircraft surgeon

What do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3758635538&rd=1

about $325 new I think

Could "sniper" it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

Although I think I'd rather go to a local music store so I could check out a guitar in person.
+Quote Post
Sammy
post Nov 6 2004, 01:16 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 178

Just in case someone is considering buying any products from roland (Boss is part of roland) send me a PM first, I may be able to save you a whole big pile o' monies.
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Nov 6 2004, 08:38 PM
Post #37

The glory that once was.

Member No.: 1,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I would second the comment about Daves music in La Crosse, WI, its a stop you gotta make, just to say you been there. My Martin D-15 came from there 3-4 Christmas' ago. They had a wall of D-15's and just left me alone for a couple hours to play them all and pick the one I liked. The deep tones of the all mahagony (sp?) guitar are bluesville.

Off the acoustic topic, maybe get your son a pignose amp... one of my better pawn shop scores. They can be had used/evilbay for around 50 bucks, less if you shop smart and catch a break. Battery powered, go anywhere, cool tones for a cheep amp. Not real loud or clean, but all flavors of distortion depending on how you set the amp volume and guitar volume. Good fun.
+Quote Post
redshift
post Nov 6 2004, 10:38 PM
Post #38

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

QUOTE(Special_K @ Nov 6 2004, 06:09 AM)

If'n I had 2-3K laying around, I'd be asking about "how do I install my new Nickies"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

OH BOY YOUR PRIORITIES ARE SHOT OUT!

heh

M
+Quote Post
JerryP
post Nov 6 2004, 11:02 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 1,225

darn...hate to jump in late on this one.

1) Spending your money on becoming the best player before the best gear is best advice I've heard. Been teaching 15 years and can't tell you how many guys I've met who pay me to listen to them brag about their $30k guitar/amp/processor collections for half an hour. "OK, that's great. Let's get started. Play me something in B flat.", I always say...which is almost always followed by "What do you mean?".

2) Some guys here probably know better than me but I've bought lots of guitars and I would suggest having him play it first. I don't mean the model or the brand but the actual instrument if possible. I always try to play 2 or 3 of the same model as most acoustic guitars, especially the mass produced, will vary from one instrument to another.
I never let them get me a new one in a box fromt the back after I decide.

You can get a perfectly good playable acoustic for $200 but that doesn't buy a lot of quality control, so just play it first. I just bought a Martin DM as a new beater. They had 5 at the store where I teach(all the same exact model) but one sounded better than the others and had better action for me.

Let us know how that Blue Ridge plays if he gets it. Any $279 axe made in China that sounds like a $2790 Martin is something I've got to know about. Hope all this helps.
+Quote Post
markb
post Nov 6 2004, 11:34 PM
Post #40

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(JerryP @ Nov 6 2004, 10:02 PM)

2) Some guys here probably know better than me but I've bought lots of guitars and I would suggest having him play it first. I don't mean the model or the brand but the actual instrument if possible. I always try to play 2 or 3 of the same model as most acoustic guitars, especially the mass produced, will vary from one instrument to another.
I never let them get me a new one in a box fromt the back after I decide.

What Jerry said. I'm not much of a player any more (yeah, like I ever was), but we'd get 3 or 4 of the exact same guitar in the store and each would play and sound different. There's tons of ways to set them up, too. I've got an Ovation acoustic/electric that I've set like an electric & I love it. I use it for practice at the house when I don't wanna bug anybody else. Take him down to the store, have a set amout to spend, and let him find the guitar/toy of his choice. There's so much out there now it's hard to choose.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 09:24 AM