Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Question for guitar players
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
SpecialK
My boy's been playing for about a year now and absolutely can't get enough, literally plays for hours every night.

I got him a Fender Stratocaster and a small Marshall amp for Xmas last year, and was hoping some of the "gitfiddle" pros on the board could steer me towards some worthwhile gadgets (phase shifters, wah-wah, etc.) that are out now. It's been 20 years since I picked up my Univox and I have no idea what's "state-of-the-art" anymore. Wanted to keep the price for worthy guitar gizmos to around $200 or so.

Maybe even a descent acoustic would be the ticket! (He's bigtime into Eric Clampton, Pink Floyd, and some of the old school finger pickin' stuff like "Classical Gas")

Any suggestions?

Kevin
Eric_Shea
There's a bunch of good multi-effects out there on the market that will fit in your $200 price range. Try:

DigiTech

RP Series products should fit into your price range and he could layer up to 11 effects at once.

A good acoustic is always a good buy. If it's decent enough he can keep it around for a while. It's an entirely different texture and style of playing and his Mom might like it too. Everybody wins. Price on a decent acoustic might be higher than $200 bills though...

Let me know what you're looking at and I'll steer you in the right direction.
redshift
Acoustic guitar! He needs one.

Blueridge, they are solid spruce topped guitars made to very high specs in China, a guy I know did the training, and they are better (buld and sound!) than new Martins costing 10 times as much.

The least expensive model would be around $279 retail though, and the demand makes them hard to find... we just sold the last one we had...

Tell you what, stay in touch with me about what you decide, and I will try to arrange an @ cost sale on whatever you come up with.

beerchug.gif

Miles
SpecialK
WOW! ohmy.gif Guitar sh*t's come alooong way since I've played, thanks for the link Eric!
rock_band.gif

Any particular acoustic guitars you prefer? Gibson, Ibenez?

There's a "Guitar Center" around here (where I got the Fender Strat), and they have a pretty good selection of acoustics. The Fender I bought there was used, but in perfect condition. I guess good musicians, like good mechanics, take good care of their tools.

As for the sound processor equipment, I'll have to strike up a conversation about some of the new stuff and see what his response is (I want it to be a surprise) idea.gif
chunger
get him the "old stuff" 'cause they don't make 'em like they used to, and have it restored $$$.

Much of the new digital effects have a hard time emulating analog distortion circuits. At least from my experience in the studio, I prefer to record a good small restored vintage amps.

-'Chung
SpecialK
QUOTE(redshift @ Nov 5 2004, 07:13 PM)
Acoustic guitar! He needs one.

Tell you what, stay in touch with me about what you decide, and I will try to arrange an @ cost sale on whatever you come up with.

beerchug.gif

Miles

Will do Miles, got any pics of these low-end acoustics?

Thanks a bunch my blue-furred friend! wink.gif
Carlitos Way
I somewhat agree with the acoustic... but I think he would be better served if you went for an acoustic/electric. Worthwhile investment in the long run. I bought my Takamine a little over a year ago, and it's been an awesome investment.

I"m also partial to Taylor, but that's champagne taste, and I only have a wine-cooler budget...

Good luck, and let the music play on!!!
SpecialK
QUOTE(chunger @ Nov 5 2004, 07:27 PM)
get him the "old stuff" 'cause they don't make 'em like they used to, and have it restored $$$.

Much of the new digital effects have a hard time emulating analog distortion circuits. At least from my experience in the studio, I prefer to record a good small restored vintage amps.

-'Chung

Thanks Chunger, I think I'm leaning towards an acoustic guitar, always good to have both. Used is no problem with me as long as it was taken care of by the PO.
SpecialK
QUOTE(cmolina @ Nov 5 2004, 07:33 PM)
I somewhat agree with the acoustic...  but I think he would be better served if you went for an acoustic/electric.  Worthwhile investment in the long run.  I bought my Takamine a little over a year ago, and it's been an awesome investment.

I"m also partial to Taylor, but that's champagne taste, and I only have a wine-cooler budget...

Good luck, and let the music play on!!!

The Guitar he started out on was my old '67 Univox Custom (still looks good, but the pick-ups and switch are shot). It's a hollow body so you can at least hear it without an amp, but it lacks the tonal quality of a straight-up acoustic guitar when it's unplugged.
Carlitos Way
I'll stick to my Takamine. I looked at a Yamaha too and a Martin. Liked the way the Takamine played. My budget was around $500. I ended up getting a great deal from a local shop. The Takamine was marked at $749 plus case... walked out for $560 or so, WITH a case....

I've used this with my acoustic band. Two acoustic guitars and an acoustic bass. THe sound is very nice and very true. The only guitar I've played that outplayed mine was a Taylor... at more than twice the cost. So, I've got the acoustic feel, and I can plug it into an amp... it's the best of both worlds for me... but I'm sort of a purist... not very big on effects and such.

And... invest on ELIXIR strings. They will outlast most other (steel) strings for an acoustic.
redshift
Saga distributes them

http://www.sagamusic.com/catalog/products....yID=2&BrandID=5

The whole line... and retail pricing.

This is my fave of the lot

http://www.sagamusic.com/catalog/details.a...ProductID=BR-43

M
TheCabinetmaker
The brand of the instrument does not matter. A $20.00 guitar can sound better than a $1000.00 guitar in the hands of a truly gifted player. It's like buying a 914. Get the best example you can afford. Give him all the support you can, and teach him everything you know. Then encourage him to learn from everyone he comes in contact with. Musicians love to pass on their knowledge more than 914 guru's. My son and I still play together and he shows me lot's of stuff. Oh yeah, Takimine's rock!!!
I play a tak 12 string!!!!
Eric_Shea
I just got a set of prototype Elixir's in the mail yesterday. I'll have to put them on something and see what they do. I agree with Carlos on the Elixirs, they don't have the overall brightness of a Phosphour Bronze string but... they last a buttload longer and that's what matters for him right now. The GHS version (of coated strings) are really dead. D'Addario also makes them and I've got a set here but I've yet to put them on anything...

Miles seems to have a line on the Blueridge thing. I can get you a Takamine or pretty much anything else @ cost as well. Solid top is what I would recommend as well. Only problem is humidity or lack thereof. They sound better but can crack if he doesn't take care of it.

Keep us posted on what you're looking at and DO NOT BUY until you check back with us.

You can check with Danny at St. Charles Guitar Exchange and tell him I sent you or just go to GC and see what you might be interested in...
redshift
Yes, casual players will enjoy the benefits of Elixirs, and I won't.

wink.gif

I like to take my strings out of the package before I play on them..

smile.gif

like a rubber

M
wannateener
american music supply in jersey
best selection best prices
for $200 you should be able to buy a nice multi effect
the boss unit i use has over 150 effects and i paid $239.00
as for playing time , the more the better
i still at 45 play at least 12-15 hrs a week
i work 55hrs plus and commute 2 hrs a day
still the best meditation i can manage

let him play!

jt

ps
just realised im logged on as my son
rick 918-S
My youngest son Kyle is an out of control musican. He started in Jazz band in the 8th grade, His instructor brought in a famous sax player as a mentor Greg Abata. (sp) He jambed with the kids for a month. That hooked Kyle. He's 15 yrs old and plays the electric bass for Jazz band in his 10th grade class, he plays one of those huge bass things for the 11th grade Orcherstra, he plays drums for his "after shcool" band. They practice in our basement. They play that demonic sounding stuff. He takes bass lessons, piano lessons, and lately he's taken an interest in classical stuff. Now he wants to take Violin lessons. I think it comes from listening to Lead Zeplin.

Anything you get will be great! Keep him playing!
bjorn jacobson
Check out the Dave's guitar shop web site. I worked for Dave from '95 till '99. He always treats the customer right, has his prices about 30% below retail and has every thing you could ever dream of. Any one in the LaCrosse area should stop by his store he has by far the best vintage guitar collection on the planet. probably around 200 or so guitars from custom color Fenders to P.A.F. era gibsons. His only drawback is that he's a 997 owner instead of 914, ha!
BJ
rick 918-S
Here's an idea. Kyle wanted a B.C. Rich Bass. We went to the local Music-Go-Round store. There was a used one hanging there with all 4 corners smashed, broken strings and chipped and gouged finish. We made a deal on that abused ax and brought it home. We worked together to build up and reshape the corners, sand and refinish it. It now has a custom black base coat/clear coat finish with glow in the dark cobwebbing accent. There's a whole quart of Urethane clear sprayed over the body. It was a great father/son project.
SpecialK
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 5 2004, 08:07 PM)
I just got a set of prototype Elixir's in the mail yesterday. I'll have to put them on something and see what they do. I agree with Carlos on the Elixirs, they don't have the overall brightness of a Phosphour Bronze string but... they last a buttload longer and that's what matters for him right now. The GHS version (of coated strings) are really dead. D'Addario also makes them and I've got a set here but I've yet to put them on anything...

Miles seems to have a line on the Blueridge thing. I can get you a Takamine or pretty much anything else @ cost as well. Solid top is what I would recommend as well. Only problem is humidity or lack thereof. They sound better but can crack if he doesn't take care of it.

Keep us posted on what you're looking at and DO NOT BUY until you check back with us.

You can check with Danny at St. Charles Guitar Exchange and tell him I sent you or just go to GC and see what you might be interested in...

Sounds like Elixirs are the strings to get then (damn, what am I goin' to do with all of this fishing line and weedeater cord wink.gif ).

So Eric, you have connections out here in St. Charles? I've still got until Dec. to do some guitar recon, his Bday's Dec. 14th (bummer being so close to Xmas). Maybe an acoustic for the Bday, and a little sumpin' for the Fender for Xmas. I'll head out to work early one day here, see what kind of selection they have and report on my possible selections for review by the experts here.

I read music (band from third grade through US Navy), but he's learning most of the songs using "Tabs" he gets off of the internet. From what I can tell it shows finger positions and picking sequences, and has just about any song you can think of listed there. The rest he gets from listening to the radio or cds (good ear). Anyone ever heard of the TABs thing?
SpecialK
DAAAAAMN! I can't type quick enough to keep up the the posts type.gif , I'm gonna have to print this thread out so I can check out all of the info I'm receiving from you guys!

Thanks so much!

gotta get back to building aeroplains now! smash.gif
porschefool
I've got a $20 acoustic (Willy) that stays in tune better, sounds better, and plays better than my $500 12-string...

I can't really buy the best of everything, (unlike you rich, flare-havin', /6 installin', fancy beer-drinkin' guys :finger2: )

But I was very pleasantly surprised at this guitar. I always pick it up before any of the others... like the teener, it doesn't have to cost alot to be worth alot... driving.gif
IronHillRestorations
After struggling with some cheaper acoustics, I started checking out the Taylors, and they are really hard to beat. Even the cheapest Taylors play about as good as the high dollar ones. Shop around and see if you can find a good used one. I got a better one than I planned (715CE) for about 30% off because it was barely used, and that was at a music store.

My first was a Stella Harmony, and I've still got it, then a Dan Electro Sears Silvertone electric with the amp in the case, then a Epiphone 12 string (whose neck warped after a couple years), and then I got a decent Strat copy and a Peavey amp, after that it was a Gibson RD Artist, a Yamaha 12 string, a Alvarez acoustic, then the Taylor. I've had a Seymore Duncan pickup put in the Strat copy and a little neck work done on it.

Maybe I should revive the "All 914 Band" thread, and we can schedule a plugged up, rocked out jam for a future 914 event???

Nothing beats the sound of a good tube amp, I've got an older Peavey 65 watt all tube that is smooth and sweet if you over work it.

A ton of effects can cover up a marginal player, but a good player always sounds better.
redshift
When you guys are ready to spend around 2k to start for an electric, and around 3k for an acoustic...

CUSTOM GUITARS FOR SALE! CUSTOM GUITARS FOR SALE!

CALL MEEE!

M
Hi_Fi_Guy
I have a decent Yamaha nylong string acoustic that was less than $200. Surprised by how good it is actually compared to many more expensive makes. Always good fun to put down the Strat and reinvent the same tune on the acoustic.
Dr Evil
I am constantly initiating people into the guitar world and the number one concern to them is cost. Now, since he is new and will soon want to bring his acoustic with him everywhere I recommen that you get a tough, deascent sounding, inexpensive type. My recommendation would be for the low end Epiphone acoustic (usually around $149) or low end Fender acoustic (about the same price). I have always had one of these two in my stash (I like the epiphone best). They are great for camping, taking to school and they sound pretty good. As for effects, I would recommend an Ibanez TS-9 tube screamer, a cry baby wah pedal (sounds good with a strat, but not with my guitars), or a Morely wah pedal which I perfer. The first two are classics and will give him a sound that is close to what he is listening to.
HTH
SpecialK
QUOTE(porschefool @ Nov 5 2004, 08:54 PM)
I've got a $20 acoustic (Willy) that stays in tune better, sounds better, and plays better than my $500 12-string...

I can't really buy the best of everything, (unlike you rich, flare-havin', /6 installin', fancy beer-drinkin' guys :finger2: )

But I was very pleasantly surprised at this guitar. I always pick it up before any of the others... like the teener, it doesn't have to cost alot to be worth alot... driving.gif

Okay...I'm not computer (forum) literate enough to reply to all of the info/feedback that's been offered in one post, sooo pardon the multiple posts here. slap.gif

Never heard of a "Willys" guitar, might want to hang on to it.....could be a "classic" that's worth big bucks by now....never know! idea.gif

My first Selmer trumpet (Paris 1918....or somethin' like that) that my parents bought for $40 (which I still have) is worth more than $900 now.

I'm a "dirty factory worker" as one of my friends ex-girl friends so eloquently put it, so no big bucks here chair.gif (close as a "bitch-slap" as I could come with the current emoticons wink.gif ) , blue collar and AB beer products all the way (although, I'm sucking on a Becks right now, it was on sale......DAMN I use a lot of parentheses when I write stuff!!). unsure.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE(9146986 @ Nov 5 2004, 09:06 PM)
After struggling with some cheaper acoustics, I started checking out the Taylors, and they are really hard to beat. Even the cheapest Taylors play about as good as the high dollar ones. Shop around and see if you can find a good used one. I got a better one than I planned (715CE) for about 30% off because it was barely used, and that was at a music store.

My first was a Stella Harmony, and I've still got it, then a Dan Electro Sears Silvertone electric with the amp in the case, then a Epiphone 12 string (whose neck warped after a couple years), and then I got a decent Strat copy and a Peavey amp, after that it was a Gibson RD Artist, a Yamaha 12 string, a Alvarez acoustic, then the Taylor. I've had a Seymore Duncan pickup put in the Strat copy and a little neck work done on it.

Maybe I should revive the "All 914 Band" thread, and we can schedule a plugged up, rocked out jam for a future 914 event???

Nothing beats the sound of a good tube amp, I've got an older Peavey 65 watt all tube that is smooth and sweet if you over work it.

A ton of effects can cover up a marginal player, but a good player always sounds better.

I had no idea there was that many guitar players on this board! I knew about Scott Schroeder and Miles being in bands from past posts, but this is cool!!....makes me want to start playing again (Neil Young must have been talking about 914's when he wrote "Rust Never Sleeps"...."Hey, hey, my, my.....914's will never die".....Janis Joplin...my friends all drive Porschees, they must make some 'mends')

You've got a lot of instruments and accessories my friend!! aktion035.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE(redshift @ Nov 5 2004, 09:16 PM)
When you guys are ready to spend around 2k to start for an electric, and around 3k for an acoustic...

CUSTOM GUITARS FOR SALE! CUSTOM GUITARS FOR SALE!

CALL MEEE!

M

If'n I had 2-3K laying around, I'd be asking about "how do I install my new Nickies"! wink.gif
Carlitos Way

monkeydance.gif monkeydance.gif First gig for the 914 band at the West Coast Classic. Anyone wanna help put together the set? We can all learn our "tabs" in the meantime and put it all together with a PA at that time. monkeydance.gif monkeydance.gif

Oh, and I get to be the lead singer. biggrin.gif

Carlos
SpecialK
QUOTE(Hi_Fi_Guy @ Nov 5 2004, 09:34 PM)
I have a decent Yamaha nylong string acoustic that was less than $200. Surprised by how good it is actually compared to many more expensive makes. Always good fun to put down the Strat and reinvent the same tune on the acoustic.

I'm kind of getting the same advice from Mike (Dr. Evil), (the post below you.....or above me...depending on which you look at it.), buy a cheaper one that he won't be afraid to put a scratch on.....He treats his Strat like it was dog crap on rice paper[carefully unsure.gif ], very respectful of the instrument. But then again, what fun is a guitar if you can't have fun with it (chick magnet at the campground happy11.gif )!
SpecialK
QUOTE(cmolina @ Nov 6 2004, 02:10 AM)

monkeydance.gif monkeydance.gif First gig for the 914 band at the West Coast Classic. Anyone wanna help put together the set? We can all learn our "tabs" in the meantime and put it all together with a PA at that time. monkeydance.gif monkeydance.gif

Oh, and I get to be the lead singer. biggrin.gif

Carlos

Here you go Carlos...........Classical Gas by Eric Clapton. Almost looks like music of some sort, haven't 'fingered' it out myself.

http://www.guitartabs.cc/fetchurl.php?file...assical_gas.tab

Think of a song, they've got it!

Dustin can read it like a book.....hey whatever works!.......... I'll stick to my Treble Clef method.

I think the "914 Club Band" would be the shizzle at one of the events, but if you have a passenger, where would you pack a guitar in a 914? biggrin.gif
IronHillRestorations
If budget is a big concern (when isn't it??). I'd recommend getting a nylon string classical style guitar, one of those with the big fat wide neck. Generally speaking, this is what many instructors prefer for first instruments, as it has very generous string spacing.

If your kid has skipped over acoustic guitar, then you need to focus him toward that. Although I did recommend looking for a high quality guitar, in reality one that is harder to play will build his fingers and callouses. He may gripe about it, but it really is the best way to improve playing.

The biggest problem I see with the "All 914 Band" is that you can't get much gear in a 914, let alone travel to a event..... hmmmm

OK, we'll have a spring event here at my place in TN. I've got a pretty good 914 shop for the car stuff, and I've got a good set of Pearl drums, some keyboards, a bass and amp, a practice PA, and a few guitars...... any takers?? THREAD HIJACK!
Eric_Shea
My Tele case fits in the rear trunk. biggrin.gif

The cool thing is... guitars are getting much better in quality for much less dough. The market revenue is flat while unit sales soar. This is both good and bad.

Good = More people playing guitar and interested in music vs. "Gameboys"

Bad = It's all having to be made overseas where Tao Chin Ho works for $0.50 per day (no offense intended... you're welcome to call me John Smith)

Good = You get a good guitar at a good price.

Bad = Company's have to do 40% more to get the same revenues so, dumping boatloads in one simple order to chain outlets is attractive. The McMurry's, St. Charles Guitar Exchange, Skips, Gelb, Showcase, Haute and countless other independents of the world then suffer. Even the Wal*Marts and COSTCO's are getting involved.

My guess is that a decent American made acoustic will start at the "Takoma" pricing and go up from there. Others will be made overseas and frankly... the quality is damn good these days (for what you're looking to buy).

As I see it the criteria is $200 and this kids a player already (Strat and Marshall and pulling all sorts of TAB off the Internet) Miles nailed it in an earlier post. Look for a "Solid Top" folk acoustic (steel string not nylon classical). Classicals are cool for their unique inherent sound but... that's not what this kid will be going for right now. He'll be looking for cool acoustic parts in todays current tunes... those are all steel string folk style acoustics. He's playing an electric right now so even "most" acoustic spacing will be slightly larger than what he has. When he really becomes proficient then a classical should be in his arsenel. An earlier post recommended an acoustic/electric... that would be great if you could find it in the price point. I'd recommend a full size (dreadnaught or similar) with a cut-away and a pickup installed. Takamine's are great options there and the Tak brand manager is a good friend. Full size because, if need be, they can be played non-electric and sound great.

Happy Holiday Hunting...

My $0.02 whether you asked for it or not! w00t.gif
John Kelly
I've had dozens of guitars over the years. Right now I'm playing a Heritage Eagle jazz box. I like it a lot. For a nice cheap little guitar a Goya acoustic (second hand) I had a while back was pretty nice.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
SpecialK
What do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3758635538&rd=1

about $325 new I think

Could "sniper" it ph34r.gif

Although I think I'd rather go to a local music store so I could check out a guitar in person.
Sammy
Just in case someone is considering buying any products from roland (Boss is part of roland) send me a PM first, I may be able to save you a whole big pile o' monies.
ottox914
I would second the comment about Daves music in La Crosse, WI, its a stop you gotta make, just to say you been there. My Martin D-15 came from there 3-4 Christmas' ago. They had a wall of D-15's and just left me alone for a couple hours to play them all and pick the one I liked. The deep tones of the all mahagony (sp?) guitar are bluesville.

Off the acoustic topic, maybe get your son a pignose amp... one of my better pawn shop scores. They can be had used/evilbay for around 50 bucks, less if you shop smart and catch a break. Battery powered, go anywhere, cool tones for a cheep amp. Not real loud or clean, but all flavors of distortion depending on how you set the amp volume and guitar volume. Good fun.
redshift
QUOTE(Special_K @ Nov 6 2004, 06:09 AM)

If'n I had 2-3K laying around, I'd be asking about "how do I install my new Nickies"! wink.gif

OH BOY YOUR PRIORITIES ARE SHOT OUT!

heh

M
JerryP
darn...hate to jump in late on this one.

1) Spending your money on becoming the best player before the best gear is best advice I've heard. Been teaching 15 years and can't tell you how many guys I've met who pay me to listen to them brag about their $30k guitar/amp/processor collections for half an hour. "OK, that's great. Let's get started. Play me something in B flat.", I always say...which is almost always followed by "What do you mean?".

2) Some guys here probably know better than me but I've bought lots of guitars and I would suggest having him play it first. I don't mean the model or the brand but the actual instrument if possible. I always try to play 2 or 3 of the same model as most acoustic guitars, especially the mass produced, will vary from one instrument to another.
I never let them get me a new one in a box fromt the back after I decide.

You can get a perfectly good playable acoustic for $200 but that doesn't buy a lot of quality control, so just play it first. I just bought a Martin DM as a new beater. They had 5 at the store where I teach(all the same exact model) but one sounded better than the others and had better action for me.

Let us know how that Blue Ridge plays if he gets it. Any $279 axe made in China that sounds like a $2790 Martin is something I've got to know about. Hope all this helps.
markb
QUOTE(JerryP @ Nov 6 2004, 10:02 PM)

2) Some guys here probably know better than me but I've bought lots of guitars and I would suggest having him play it first. I don't mean the model or the brand but the actual instrument if possible. I always try to play 2 or 3 of the same model as most acoustic guitars, especially the mass produced, will vary from one instrument to another.
I never let them get me a new one in a box fromt the back after I decide.

What Jerry said. I'm not much of a player any more (yeah, like I ever was), but we'd get 3 or 4 of the exact same guitar in the store and each would play and sound different. There's tons of ways to set them up, too. I've got an Ovation acoustic/electric that I've set like an electric & I love it. I use it for practice at the house when I don't wanna bug anybody else. Take him down to the store, have a set amout to spend, and let him find the guitar/toy of his choice. There's so much out there now it's hard to choose.
lawrencedesigns
Great thread!
Get the acoustic!
After I foolishly let go of my Guild 12 string, I only had electrics for about 7 years. My strat/Boss GT-3 Processor/ Fender Princeton was my favourite combo.
But my wife wanted something for me to play "gently" around the house.
When I got back to the acoustic I found out just how sloppy I had gotten. If you want to learn, want to improve, want to keep your chops up.....grab the acoustic. As Keith Richards says..."I don't even keep an electric guitar in my house!"

I was looking for a cheaper, knock-about acoustic. I tried Yamahas, baby Taylors, a few Epiphones.
My wife suprised me at Christmas with a new Ibanez Perfomance model. Set her back about $200.
I was a little taken back. Ibanez? Of course I tried to act pleased. And I picked it up.
End result? I LOVE THIS INSTRUMENT! Finish quality control is a little low...but it plays like a dream.

Most importantly. As Jerry says. Pick one up and play it. Then try another. Find the one you love. And buy THAT one!
Have fun! Play on!

Oh, I still pick up the Strat everyday!
redshift
QUOTE(JerryP @ Nov 7 2004, 01:02 AM)
I've  met who pay me to listen to them brag about their $30k guitar/amp/processor collections for half an hour.

Let us know how that Blue Ridge plays if he gets it. Any $279 axe made in China that sounds like a $2790 Martin is something I've got to know about.

Oh! I see you've read my posts!

smile.gif

I am a Martin repair station, and I hate to tell you the test was against one that cost twice that much.

ohmy.gif

M
d7n7master
I recently bought a 'lil 60 watt Alesis Spitfire Guitar amp to plug into at home. Bought it for a "practice" amp. It uses guitar FX technology. What that means is you can dial up 80 different effects/edit & save 80 more. It only has one 12" spkr, but @ 60 watts it kicks pretty strong. When I add my Trace Elliot 4x10 cab as an extension cab - it rock's hard. Killer pricing. I'm still in shock. For 2 bills, NEW. Take a look: www.alesis.com
-----------
Then, my latest find is http://www.surfcityinstruments.com/
I currently own & play Tobias, Steinberger, Dean, Kramer, and now SurfCity guitars & basses. I've been playing for 30 some years. I've owned everything from Gibsons, Fender, Epiphones, Martins, Ovations, Rickenbacker, Vox, etc. - My SurfCity Strat plays every bit as good as my Fender Tele. Sweet neck, beautiful fret work. And they are in Huntington Beach, Ca... My Tele=$800.00 / My SurfCity Strat=$200.00
How'd they DO that???
-----------
My favorite acoustic - at the moment - is my Dean Nouveau. A lot of guitar for the $$$.
Check it out. http://www.deanguitars.com/home.php
It's the reason my Ovation stays in the case.
-----------
O yeah, Elixir's are great strings. Easily the most comfortable feeling strings I've ever used. So they're not as bright as phospher bronze. So? I've always dug the sound of strings that had a couple miles on them anyway.
Just keep playin' - it's good for the soul.
Cheers, Gary
Eric_Shea
Jerry,

Doesn't sound like the kids lacks in motivation. I'm sure you'll agree, that's more than 1/2 the battle. There are "collector" types out there but with a single electric, an amp and buttloads of enthusiasum... it doesn't sound like this kids out wanking about his 30k collection.

Good advice...

Tell Neil and George, Eric said hello!
SpecialK
Yep, Dustin has NO lack of motivation, if he spent that much time doing anything else I'd worry. I had him playing my Univox to see if he reeaally had the desire before I went out and dropped money on his Strat. All of this guitar talk has got me think about getting the old Univox fixed and start fiddling around with it again idea.gif

Been doing a little "e-shopping", but you guys are absolutely right about going to the store and actually play a few models, can't tell squat about how good it sounds sitting behind the 'puter.

I have seen some pretty good deals on the Blueridge BR-OS models, and Miles has offered to keep an eye out for the "000" models down in his area, but I really need to keep to my original budget of around $200. Again, I'd rather buy a quality "used" acoustic (in good condition), than spend the money on a "new" POS (hell, Xmas is 10 days after is birthday and I was hoping to get something from Digitech for his electric too).

Seems to be a lot of proud guitar owners/players here so....... thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Let's see your gitfiddles!

Kevin
Sparky
Look at some of the stuff from Line 6, like the Pod. I've been playing a long time and prefer the old school stuff (anyone gotta Echoplex they wanna part with?) over the newer digital stuff. My amps are all old tube amps and I dont have any digital effects, they sound too processed, clipped for my taste. Guitar Center carries the Line6 stuff. If your looking to get him an acoustic stick with something that has similar action to his electric, it will help him develop his chops. As for strings, I use D'Addario chromes, 13-56. I have to have my sets ordered for me. Lace, teh pickup company, had been making a nice affordable acoustic/electric. The Acela, I've got one and enjoy it. Not as much as my Mustang or my 'Strat, but then again I love my 'Strat as much as my 914, my wife and my children.

Good luck!
Mike D.
JerryP
Special K,

I most certainly didn't mean to suggest that Dustin was included among the wanking types I described. I hope it didn't come off that way. Don't get me wrong...there is all kinds of toys I want...there is some cool stuff out there....but I've been caught up in the gear before and found that it covered flaws in my physical abilities and holes in my knowledge of music. It's a remarkably easy trap to fall into.

It seems like he's really into it so he'll go through gear no matter how much you spend on it. He will always want to try another flavor but he'll never get tired of being a competent player. The acoustic is a great idea. There's nothing to hide behind and it will show off all his hard work and make him aware of what he can improve. Good luck. It sounds like he's doing great.

Eric...I don't remember ever mentioning where I worked. You are scaring me. biggrin.gif . I may see those guys today. I'll tell them you said hello.

Miles...I wasn't doubting you. I've never played a Blue Ridge and I'm genuinely curious. I've seen it happen with individual instruments. A friend of mine bought a used Samick acoustic for less than $200. After playing it I offered her double for it. Never played a Samick, or any rebranded Samick instrument since then that was that nice. All I'm sayin' is that at $279, I may have to get me one.

Jerry
"You don't need a quadraphonic blaupunkt. You need a curve ball"
scooter311
Oh wow, good thread! Music is sorta my winter hobby, when I can't MX or drive my teener.
I have an old Peavey tube combo that's been hotrodded a little and I absolutely LOVE - took a long time to find it, when my friends and I get together I put it on top of a Marshall 2x12 and it sounds better than lotsa other setups I've heard.
I have had a few Digitech products, and currently have an RP2000. I'm not particularly happy with it - I had an RP7 that had better tone and was easier to use. I'm a fan of effects boxes however, because I'm not a pro, but an electric guitar hack that likes to make noise. Horrible, terrible noise. There are a lot of choices out there, and I chose Digitch because of the versatility when playing, I can switch sounds and modes quickly, and the sound quality remains stable at all volumes (something other units don't handle very well).
My next purchase when I get some cash together might be a BOSS GT6 ( Hopefully talking to Sammy after the holidays smile.gif )
If you do go to a local music store, bring the guitar you're playing with you, and even the amp if you can, and then try different pedals/effects - it's best to try new effects through your current setup, so you're not in shock when you get it home and say "Wow, it sounded so much better in the store..."

I don't have an acoostick, but I have your standard, metalhead electrics - a 1991 Ibanez S540 "USA Custom", with a Tone Zone and a Floyd, rescued it from a consignment joint and 'rebuilt' it (older, heavier Joe Satriani style), and a burgundy-finished Schecter C1-plus.
I'll never get rid of my amp, or these 2 guitars wub.gif

DON'T STOPPA ROCKIN'
- Homer Simpson
aktion035.gif
Brad Smith
I don't play guitar... too many strings and they're too close together. unsure.gif

But I play bass... and you DON'T have to spend a lot to get good equipment. I stopped playing for years, then decided to pick it back up again, so I went shopping for bargains. Here's what I ended up with:

80's vintage American made Charvel (with Jackson hardware and pickups) $129
70's vintage (hey, I like the sound of these) Sunn Concert head ALSO $129
Crate cabinet, 1x18" and 2x10" speakers (10's for punch and brightness, 18's for that low rumble) $100

All in EXCELLENT condition. The bargains are out there, you just have to look. Good hunting!

Brad
Eric_Shea
Eric...I don't remember ever mentioning where I worked. You are scaring me.  . I may see those guys today. I'll tell them you said hello.

You didn't but... there's only one Martin dealer in Berwyn laugh.gif

I hope they're doing well. I really like both those guys. We've done a few dinner together and I usually get a chance to see them at NAMM shows. Please do tell them I said hello. George still driving the NSX?

The cats at Samick are some of my best friends. My best friend from here in Sandy (we used to work at DigiTech together), left here to go there and head up their International sales. I also worked with Greg Bennett back in the Washburn days in the mid 80's. Their new "direct approach" is REALLY netting some high quality guitars for way low prices. I mentioned Tacoma as a good price point for American guitars (if that matters). Fender thought so too... they just bought them.

I took the summer off from the music industry but prior to that I was the Associate Publisher for both Guitar Player and Bass Player Magazines.

Brad... I love Bass! The Sunn is a cool head. Good score smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.