Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT - Question for guitar players
lawrencedesigns
post Nov 6 2004, 11:37 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,349

Great thread!
Get the acoustic!
After I foolishly let go of my Guild 12 string, I only had electrics for about 7 years. My strat/Boss GT-3 Processor/ Fender Princeton was my favourite combo.
But my wife wanted something for me to play "gently" around the house.
When I got back to the acoustic I found out just how sloppy I had gotten. If you want to learn, want to improve, want to keep your chops up.....grab the acoustic. As Keith Richards says..."I don't even keep an electric guitar in my house!"

I was looking for a cheaper, knock-about acoustic. I tried Yamahas, baby Taylors, a few Epiphones.
My wife suprised me at Christmas with a new Ibanez Perfomance model. Set her back about $200.
I was a little taken back. Ibanez? Of course I tried to act pleased. And I picked it up.
End result? I LOVE THIS INSTRUMENT! Finish quality control is a little low...but it plays like a dream.

Most importantly. As Jerry says. Pick one up and play it. Then try another. Find the one you love. And buy THAT one!
Have fun! Play on!

Oh, I still pick up the Strat everyday!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
redshift
post Nov 7 2004, 12:44 AM
Post #42

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

QUOTE(JerryP @ Nov 7 2004, 01:02 AM)
I've  met who pay me to listen to them brag about their $30k guitar/amp/processor collections for half an hour.

Let us know how that Blue Ridge plays if he gets it. Any $279 axe made in China that sounds like a $2790 Martin is something I've got to know about.

Oh! I see you've read my posts!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I am a Martin repair station, and I hate to tell you the test was against one that cost twice that much.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

M
+Quote Post
d7n7master
post Nov 7 2004, 10:44 AM
Post #43

Gary#

Member No.: 421

I recently bought a 'lil 60 watt Alesis Spitfire Guitar amp to plug into at home. Bought it for a "practice" amp. It uses guitar FX technology. What that means is you can dial up 80 different effects/edit & save 80 more. It only has one 12" spkr, but @ 60 watts it kicks pretty strong. When I add my Trace Elliot 4x10 cab as an extension cab - it rock's hard. Killer pricing. I'm still in shock. For 2 bills, NEW. Take a look: www.alesis.com
-----------
Then, my latest find is http://www.surfcityinstruments.com/
I currently own & play Tobias, Steinberger, Dean, Kramer, and now SurfCity guitars & basses. I've been playing for 30 some years. I've owned everything from Gibsons, Fender, Epiphones, Martins, Ovations, Rickenbacker, Vox, etc. - My SurfCity Strat plays every bit as good as my Fender Tele. Sweet neck, beautiful fret work. And they are in Huntington Beach, Ca... My Tele=$800.00 / My SurfCity Strat=$200.00
How'd they DO that???
-----------
My favorite acoustic - at the moment - is my Dean Nouveau. A lot of guitar for the $$$.
Check it out. http://www.deanguitars.com/home.php
It's the reason my Ovation stays in the case.
-----------
O yeah, Elixir's are great strings. Easily the most comfortable feeling strings I've ever used. So they're not as bright as phospher bronze. So? I've always dug the sound of strings that had a couple miles on them anyway.
Just keep playin' - it's good for the soul.
Cheers, Gary
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Nov 7 2004, 11:30 AM
Post #44

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Jerry,

Doesn't sound like the kids lacks in motivation. I'm sure you'll agree, that's more than 1/2 the battle. There are "collector" types out there but with a single electric, an amp and buttloads of enthusiasum... it doesn't sound like this kids out wanking about his 30k collection.

Good advice...

Tell Neil and George, Eric said hello!
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Nov 7 2004, 04:54 PM
Post #45

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

Yep, Dustin has NO lack of motivation, if he spent that much time doing anything else I'd worry. I had him playing my Univox to see if he reeaally had the desire before I went out and dropped money on his Strat. All of this guitar talk has got me think about getting the old Univox fixed and start fiddling around with it again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Been doing a little "e-shopping", but you guys are absolutely right about going to the store and actually play a few models, can't tell squat about how good it sounds sitting behind the 'puter.

I have seen some pretty good deals on the Blueridge BR-OS models, and Miles has offered to keep an eye out for the "000" models down in his area, but I really need to keep to my original budget of around $200. Again, I'd rather buy a quality "used" acoustic (in good condition), than spend the money on a "new" POS (hell, Xmas is 10 days after is birthday and I was hoping to get something from Digitech for his electric too).

Seems to be a lot of proud guitar owners/players here so....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)

Let's see your gitfiddles!

Kevin
+Quote Post
Sparky
post Nov 7 2004, 05:18 PM
Post #46

Mahna Mahna!

Member No.: 847

Look at some of the stuff from Line 6, like the Pod. I've been playing a long time and prefer the old school stuff (anyone gotta Echoplex they wanna part with?) over the newer digital stuff. My amps are all old tube amps and I dont have any digital effects, they sound too processed, clipped for my taste. Guitar Center carries the Line6 stuff. If your looking to get him an acoustic stick with something that has similar action to his electric, it will help him develop his chops. As for strings, I use D'Addario chromes, 13-56. I have to have my sets ordered for me. Lace, teh pickup company, had been making a nice affordable acoustic/electric. The Acela, I've got one and enjoy it. Not as much as my Mustang or my 'Strat, but then again I love my 'Strat as much as my 914, my wife and my children.

Good luck!
Mike D.
+Quote Post
JerryP
post Nov 10 2004, 08:19 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 1,225

Special K,

I most certainly didn't mean to suggest that Dustin was included among the wanking types I described. I hope it didn't come off that way. Don't get me wrong...there is all kinds of toys I want...there is some cool stuff out there....but I've been caught up in the gear before and found that it covered flaws in my physical abilities and holes in my knowledge of music. It's a remarkably easy trap to fall into.

It seems like he's really into it so he'll go through gear no matter how much you spend on it. He will always want to try another flavor but he'll never get tired of being a competent player. The acoustic is a great idea. There's nothing to hide behind and it will show off all his hard work and make him aware of what he can improve. Good luck. It sounds like he's doing great.

Eric...I don't remember ever mentioning where I worked. You are scaring me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . I may see those guys today. I'll tell them you said hello.

Miles...I wasn't doubting you. I've never played a Blue Ridge and I'm genuinely curious. I've seen it happen with individual instruments. A friend of mine bought a used Samick acoustic for less than $200. After playing it I offered her double for it. Never played a Samick, or any rebranded Samick instrument since then that was that nice. All I'm sayin' is that at $279, I may have to get me one.

Jerry
"You don't need a quadraphonic blaupunkt. You need a curve ball"
+Quote Post
scooter311
post Nov 10 2004, 10:45 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 2,986

Oh wow, good thread! Music is sorta my winter hobby, when I can't MX or drive my teener.
I have an old Peavey tube combo that's been hotrodded a little and I absolutely LOVE - took a long time to find it, when my friends and I get together I put it on top of a Marshall 2x12 and it sounds better than lotsa other setups I've heard.
I have had a few Digitech products, and currently have an RP2000. I'm not particularly happy with it - I had an RP7 that had better tone and was easier to use. I'm a fan of effects boxes however, because I'm not a pro, but an electric guitar hack that likes to make noise. Horrible, terrible noise. There are a lot of choices out there, and I chose Digitch because of the versatility when playing, I can switch sounds and modes quickly, and the sound quality remains stable at all volumes (something other units don't handle very well).
My next purchase when I get some cash together might be a BOSS GT6 ( Hopefully talking to Sammy after the holidays (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) )
If you do go to a local music store, bring the guitar you're playing with you, and even the amp if you can, and then try different pedals/effects - it's best to try new effects through your current setup, so you're not in shock when you get it home and say "Wow, it sounded so much better in the store..."

I don't have an acoostick, but I have your standard, metalhead electrics - a 1991 Ibanez S540 "USA Custom", with a Tone Zone and a Floyd, rescued it from a consignment joint and 'rebuilt' it (older, heavier Joe Satriani style), and a burgundy-finished Schecter C1-plus.
I'll never get rid of my amp, or these 2 guitars (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

DON'T STOPPA ROCKIN'
- Homer Simpson
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Smith
post Nov 10 2004, 12:25 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 3,029

I don't play guitar... too many strings and they're too close together. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

But I play bass... and you DON'T have to spend a lot to get good equipment. I stopped playing for years, then decided to pick it back up again, so I went shopping for bargains. Here's what I ended up with:

80's vintage American made Charvel (with Jackson hardware and pickups) $129
70's vintage (hey, I like the sound of these) Sunn Concert head ALSO $129
Crate cabinet, 1x18" and 2x10" speakers (10's for punch and brightness, 18's for that low rumble) $100

All in EXCELLENT condition. The bargains are out there, you just have to look. Good hunting!

Brad
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Nov 10 2004, 01:17 PM
Post #50

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Eric...I don't remember ever mentioning where I worked. You are scaring me.  . I may see those guys today. I'll tell them you said hello.

You didn't but... there's only one Martin dealer in Berwyn (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I hope they're doing well. I really like both those guys. We've done a few dinner together and I usually get a chance to see them at NAMM shows. Please do tell them I said hello. George still driving the NSX?

The cats at Samick are some of my best friends. My best friend from here in Sandy (we used to work at DigiTech together), left here to go there and head up their International sales. I also worked with Greg Bennett back in the Washburn days in the mid 80's. Their new "direct approach" is REALLY netting some high quality guitars for way low prices. I mentioned Tacoma as a good price point for American guitars (if that matters). Fender thought so too... they just bought them.

I took the summer off from the music industry but prior to that I was the Associate Publisher for both Guitar Player and Bass Player Magazines.

Brad... I love Bass! The Sunn is a cool head. Good score (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Nov 10 2004, 01:30 PM
Post #51

aircraft surgeon

QUOTE(JerryP @ Nov 10 2004, 06:19 AM)
Special K,

I most certainly didn't mean to suggest that Dustin was included among the wanking types I described. I hope it didn't come off that way. Don't get me wrong...there is all kinds of toys I want...there is some cool stuff out there....but I've been caught up in the gear before and found that it covered flaws in my physical abilities and holes in my knowledge of music. It's a remarkably easy trap to fall into.

Not at all Jerry, in fact I totally agree with getting the "skill" first......but then again you can find some real bargains on equipment when someone buys top of the line stuff, and then figures out that they suck at it and decide to sell it off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Nov 27 2004, 04:55 AM
Post #52

aircraft surgeon

Ended up getting a vintage (late '60s early '70s) Blueridge BR-OS in absolutely mint condition, doesn't look like it was ever played, not one scratch (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) . I haven't had a chance to mess with it too much since it seems like everytime I whip it out of it's hiding place, someone (son's friends, sales people, Jehovah's witness, etc.) knocks on the front door and I have to scramble to put it away. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Solid spruce top.........hmmmm, I can't remember who told me that was a good thing, but thanks for all of the excellent input guys!........and you too Miles! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

Kevin
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 09:43 AM