Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Down In A Blaze Of Unglory - 914s on FIRE!, It can be pretty common, unfortunately. What causes the 914 to catch fire so easily, how to prevent it from happening and what to do if it does happen
tumamilhem
post Dec 4 2012, 02:32 PM
Post #1

LUFTBRIGADE

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,092
Region Association: South East States

Has this ever happened to you?

Attached Image

Attached Image

Video of car on fire: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151125433882341

This is an unfortunate, serious reality and real danger for us 914 owners that tragically happens all too often. But why and how can it be prevented?

I'd like to propose three talking points that could help educate other 914 owners to make necessary precautions to preserve their cars - and their lives:

1. What causes fires in the 914 and why are they so common?

2. What precautions may be done to prevent a 914 from catching fire?

3. If your 914 does catch fire, should you try to put it out or should you stay away in case of an explosion?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Dec 4 2012, 02:35 PM
Post #2

LUFTBRIGADE

I'll go first.

Fortunately, this has never happened to me. And I pray it never will. But what can be done to insure that from happening?

I understand that it is common for battery acid to drip onto the fuel lines below, that are made of plastic. The fuel lines are easily eaten by the acid and hold about 30 lbs. of pressure, making the fuel spray quickly onto the heaters, etc. and quickly igniting and spreading.

How can this be prevented? Can the fuel lines be coated or housed in something that the acid will not damage? Is there an acid-resistant replacement? Can an acid-resistant material line encase the battery (or at least on the tray) to prevent leakage?

Also, is it possible for a 914 to catch fire while parked (not turned on)? Say, parked on the street or God forbid, sitting in your garage?
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Dec 4 2012, 02:43 PM
Post #3

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

Wonder how much he wants for those fuchs? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Dec 4 2012, 02:46 PM
Post #4

LUFTBRIGADE

Oh that's just wrong. :/
The guy said he had just bought this car too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Dec 4 2012, 02:51 PM
Post #5

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

The plastic fuel lines in the tunnel are 40 years old. If you ever have to remove the originals, don't put them back! There are vendors selling stainless steel fuel lines that go through the center tunnel. Also, if you still have fuel injection, be sure to get FI rated hose because of the higher fuel pressure than that used by carbureted engines.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Dec 4 2012, 02:56 PM
Post #6

LUFTBRIGADE

Where can I find these stainless fuel lines and hoses should I need to have them replaced?
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Dec 4 2012, 03:00 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351

Pelican Parts sells them.

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Dec 4 2012, 03:56 PM) *

Where can I find these stainless fuel lines and hoses should I need to have them replaced?

+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Dec 4 2012, 03:01 PM
Post #8

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Tangerine racing: http://tangerineracing.com/stainlessFuelLines.htm

I got my SS fuel line from them and they are very nice. Cheapest insurance you can buy for your car. I am also adding a basic fire suppression system into the build of my car for a little added safety.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Dec 4 2012, 03:03 PM
Post #9

LUFTBRIGADE

What is a basic fire suppression system? Where can it be found and how to install?

Thank you guys for all of your input! Any other reasons a 914 may catch fire or how to prevent?
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Dec 4 2012, 03:11 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 11,782

This is a problem for vw buses also, which don't have the plastic lines.

I would say the problem is fuel filters with worm-drive clamps dangling from braided line right next to the coil or plug wires.

I had an inlet banjo come loose on a set of dells, dripping fuel. I actually shorted out the electric fuel pump for the carbs, but no fire.

What you need to start a fire I think is full on spray going onto a sparkplug wire or the coil.

Prevention would include keeping fuel filters out of the engine compartment, using the right clamps, securing fuel lines with zip ties, and running ethanol rated 30R9 lines, besides just replacing the plastic lines in the tunnel.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Dec 4 2012, 03:17 PM
Post #11

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Dec 4 2012, 04:11 PM) *

I would say the problem is fuel filters with worm-drive clamps dangling from braided line right next to the coil or plug wires.

I had an inlet banjo come loose on a set of dells, dripping fuel. I actually shorted out the electric fuel pump for the carbs, but no fire.

What you need to start a fire I think is full on spray going onto a sparkplug wire or the coil.

Prevention would include keeping fuel filters out of the engine compartment, using the right clamps, securing fuel lines with zip ties, and running ethanol rated 30R9 lines, besides just replacing the plastic lines in the tunnel.

Would these ethanol rated 30R9 lines be the same thing as the SS steel lines?

What kind of clamps should be used (and for what)?

What purpose does sip tying the fuel lines serve?

I'm not so mechanically inclined as you guys, so I'm trying to learn and understand to prevent this from happening.

Thanks again! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Dec 4 2012, 03:24 PM
Post #12

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 4 2012, 05:01 PM) *

Tangerine racing: http://tangerineracing.com/stainlessFuelLines.htm

I got my SS fuel line from them and they are very nice. Cheapest insurance you can buy for your car. I am also adding a basic fire suppression system into the build of my car for a little added safety.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I've seen Chris's parts and they look nice and easy. Compared to fabbing your own from truck brake lines, that is. (Which is what I did just before the SS lines came on the market.)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Dec 4 2012, 03:25 PM
Post #13

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

This has been a problem since the cars came onto the market. Bad hoses, incorrect hose and/or hose inner diameter, wrong hose clamps. It's virtually NEVER the plastic lines. We do SERVICES, NOT "tune-ups! We check for stuff like that every time the car is in. That's always been my practice, and any good shop will do the same. Fuel fires can be prevented by frequent inspections by both the owner and/or the shop he/she takes the car to for repairs.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Dec 4 2012, 03:45 PM
Post #14

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

my understanding is that when magnesium catches fire - its a bitch to put out.

so my understanding si the problem may start with leak in fuel lines but quickly turn to magnesium BURNING OUT OF CONTROL.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Dec 4 2012, 03:50 PM
Post #15

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Magnesium can burn under water so if it lights there's no putting it out as far as i know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
boogie_man
post Dec 4 2012, 03:52 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 12,969
Region Association: Southern California

I'm not sure but, did you see the car lurching forward, then backward?
Doesn't look like the firefighters did that.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Dec 4 2012, 03:58 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 11,782

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Dec 4 2012, 01:17 PM) *

I'm not so mechanically inclined as you guys, so I'm trying to learn and understand to prevent this from happening.

The deal is that ethanol is like alcohol and will dry out hoses. 30R9 is an SAE rating for fuel hose that has a silicone-like 'flouroelastomer' lining that is resistant. It used to be blue on the inside but it's all just black now, looks like non braided line, so you have to look for 30R9 to be printed - it is for high pressure and it is expensive. You will only find it in english sizes since ethanol is an american problem.

The deal with the clamps is that the slots that worm drive (normal) hose clamps use will bite int the hose ends and make the drying cracking worse there at the ends, that is where they break, fuel lines. Proper clamps don't have as much range of adjustment. The old vw ones have a flange to protect the edges, mercedes ones are alright too. The difference is the slots all the way around.

About zip ties, it is the flopping around/moving that will cause the breaking once the clamps and the ethanol have made the lines brittle.

The worst situation to have is braided line, not zip tied, with regular hose clamps, the fuel filter flopping about right by the coil.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Dec 4 2012, 04:04 PM
Post #18

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I have yet to locate the system that will be installed in my car. I remember looking about a year ago but figured I would wait until we were closer to the time we actually needed it. I think $500 can buy a basic system with a few nozzles to locate in the engine compartment.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Dec 4 2012, 04:24 PM
Post #19

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Dec 4 2012, 04:50 PM) *

Magnesium can burn under water so if it lights there's no putting it out as far as i know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

What psrts are magnesuim that will cstch fire?
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Dec 4 2012, 04:28 PM
Post #20

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ De30R9 4 2012, 04:58 PM) *

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Dec 4 2012, 01:17 PM) *

The deal is that ethanol is like alcohol and will dry out hoses. 30R9 is an SAE rating for fuel hose that has a silicone-like 'flouroelastomer' lining that is resistant. It used to be blue on the inside but it's all just black now, looks like non braided line, so you have to look for 30R9 to be printed - it is for high pressure and it is expensive. You will only find it in english sizes since ethanol is an american problem.

The deal with the clamps is that the slots that worm drive (normal) hose clamps use will bite int the hose ends and make the drying cracking worse there at the ends, that is where they break, fuel lines. Proper clamps don't have as much range of adjustment. The old vw ones have a flange to protect the edges, mercedes ones are alright too. The difference is the slots all the way around.

About zip ties, it is the flopping around/moving that will cause the breaking once the clamps and the ethanol have made the lines brittle.

The worst situation to have is braided line, not zip tied, with regular hose clamps, the fuel filter flopping about right by the coil.

So don't use steel braided line, use 30R9 lines instead? What do they cost and whete can they bevfound?

What kind of hoses and clamps should be used and where can they be found?
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 04:13 AM