Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Down In A Blaze Of Unglory - 914s on FIRE!, It can be pretty common, unfortunately. What causes the 914 to catch fire so easily, how to prevent it from happening and what to do if it does happen
tumamilhem
post Dec 4 2012, 10:44 PM
Post #41

LUFTBRIGADE

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,092
Region Association: South East States

So it should be moved then I suppose? What do I need to do to relocate it to the front?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stateofidleness
post Dec 4 2012, 11:25 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 8,065
Region Association: None

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Dec 4 2012, 11:44 PM) *

So it should be moved then I suppose? What do I need to do to relocate it to the front?

Subscribed for answer to this.

Got the SS lines a long time ago (haven't installed) and all new fuel lines, but have been wanting to relocate the pump up front on my '73.
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Dec 4 2012, 11:29 PM
Post #43

Lack of consideration to others, and Selfish!

Member No.: 3,016
Region Association: Central California

It looks as though they used foam on that Teener. I personaly had my teener catch fire but it was in the steering column. Back in 1998 when my pops owned the car, I was driving it because my bus wasn't working. The wipers didn't work at the time due to a bad motor. I must have accidentally turned the wipers on when making a turn and never turned them off. As I was a block away from home i smell burning plastic and then smoke started pouring out of steering column. Luckily the p.o. before my pops installed a halon 2.5 lb extinguisher in the cab. I reached over while driving grabbed the extinguisher, reached down under the dash and squeezed the trigger a few times then brought it up in front of me and squeezed a few times. Luckily it was a warm day in san jose california that day so I had my window down cause it got cloudy and halon sucks the o2 out of the direct area. It went out and I had reached home and turned it off. We had it towed to the shop in fremont and thats when we found out it was due to a electrical fire. So it is not always a gas fire.

Also, back in the 80's we would go to boney dunes near santa cruz and use a old 36 horse vw motor block that is magnesium in the center of the wood pile and light it up! That block would glow and you would have to stand a good 15 to 20 feet away. I bet it could turn some of that sand into glass. Magnesium won't light up in solid form unless it in a prolonged very hot fire but it will in shavings or dust form as in a machine shop situation. Atleast thats in my experience.
+Quote Post
maxwelj
post Dec 5 2012, 02:52 PM
Post #44

rebuilt member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,532

To answer the question about catching fire while parked, I seem to remember an earlier thread from one of our members in which the car caught fire as it sat in his carport. A cursory search didnt find it, but maybe somebody else remembers who it was.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 5 2012, 03:59 PM
Post #45

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

I'll add one, albeit in "left field". Static discharge. Something I learned when flying experimental. Ordinarily this is not a concern as we usually pump from metal nozzles that are grounded. But I'll bet I have had the tanks in & out of my 914's a dozen times. When I drain my tank I actually siphon the gas into a DOT gas can then pour it back in the tank when finished. Sound familiar? Then your playing with fire my friend. I know of 2 planes that burned to the ground being re-fueled this way. Best chance of this happening is where one lives in an arid climate.( or a just a low humidity day where you live). Couple that with a plastic gas can sliding across your pick up bed, rubbing against your jeans or wool shirt and you've got a ticking time bomb. As soon as that spout gets near the metal filler neck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif) . It only takes a second to discharge any static buildup. Before lifting the can off the floor pour a bit of water on the side of the can. When the water comes in contact with the ground and gas can it is grounded and discharged. Easier than attaching a damned ground cable. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) I know I'm reaching but if this saves one teener, so be it.
+Quote Post
Ductech
post Dec 5 2012, 04:12 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 11,949
Region Association: Southwest Region

I remember a v8 conversion that caught fire in a parking lot while off... Maybe a year ago. This Is on of the reasons why racers install big power cutoff switches. I have one and store my subie conversion with the battery disconnected via one of these switches. Only my starter and alternator stay connected to the battery. Everything else is after the master cutoff. Bottom line know what your doing when it comes to electrical. It can start a fire really quick!
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Dec 5 2012, 06:10 PM
Post #47

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

This is from personal experience......

Betty and I were living in Arlington, and we were driving her car from there to my parent's house in Bedford. On the way up Hwy 360, I hear her yell "Were on FIRE!".

The car didn't lose power, so I quickly moved right and got it on the shoulder. We bailed out, and I tried to put the fire out with a handheld extinguisher. I just slowed it down.

The FD arrived, and used a half of the water in the tanker and two big CO2 extinguishers to get the fire put out. By that time the top had collapsed inward, the interior was gone, the gauge lenses had bubbled out, and the windshield collapsed inward.

After it cooled, the fire marshall did a post mortem. His analysis was that the plastic pressure line had split at the firewall where it makes the turn to the right, and sprayed gas all over the hot heat exchangers, starting the fire.

That engine fire almost cost me my marriage, as that is Betty's pride and joy.
It took me a few years to get it back up and running.

To this day, I will never own a 914 that has the plastic lines, and I will gladly install steel lines for free for anyone who is willing to pay the cost of the lines. I don't ever want to see another 914 on fire.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
struckn
post Dec 5 2012, 07:58 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 13,764
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Hammy @ Dec 4 2012, 03:04 PM) *

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Dec 4 2012, 01:11 PM) *

This is a problem for vw buses also, which don't have the plastic lines.

I would say the problem is fuel filters with worm-drive clamps dangling from braided line right next to the coil or plug wires.

I had an inlet banjo come loose on a set of dells, dripping fuel. I actually shorted out the electric fuel pump for the carbs, but no fire.

What you need to start a fire I think is full on spray going onto a sparkplug wire or the coil.

Prevention would include keeping fuel filters out of the engine compartment, using the right clamps, securing fuel lines with zip ties, and running ethanol rated 30R9 lines, besides just replacing the plastic lines in the tunnel.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I also agree like Cap'n said that the fuel lines down the tunnel are rarely the problem. I replaced mine with SS just to be safe.

Cheap fuel filters (in wrong and hot places), incorrect fuel hose size (and wrong type), wrong hose clamps, incorrect/lazy hose routing, etc.. Also leaky carbs. Even the stock injectors/rails are finicky and will leak if hoses are not clamped down correctly. Always go through the fuel system on a just purchased car, never know what the PO did. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Ethanol is relatively new to fuel and a problem that may now cause the original plastic lines in the tunnel to fail. Rarely a problem in the past is not a good arguement in favor of not replacing the old plastic lines.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Dec 6 2012, 04:20 PM
Post #49

LUFTBRIGADE

Member No.: 15,092

Suppression system aside do to high cost, what kind of fire extinguisher should be used to keep in the car? I understand there are different kinds.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Dec 6 2012, 04:25 PM
Post #50

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

SS lines are a must, and this is piece of mind....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Dec 6 2012, 08:10 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 11,782

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Dec 6 2012, 02:20 PM) *

Suppression system aside do to high cost, what kind of fire extinguisher should be used to keep in the car? I understand there are different kinds.

They rate them by A, B, and C. C is what you need to put out a gasoline fire. Halon is nice, but expensive, as it doesn't make a crazy mess like the dry stuff.

I will never forget the time I fire extinguisher'd my mom's toaster oven as a kid. I had burnt some pop tarts and opened the door, the oxygen , and they burst into flames. I probably could have just shut the door, but instead I filled the whole house with white powder. The toaster oven was ruined. Man, was my mom pissed! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 6 2012, 08:44 PM
Post #52

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

B is what you need for gasoline. C is for electrical. A is for anything that leaves an ash, but does not have current going through it (so can be a water extinguisher).

Halon is the best as it does not ruin what is left of what you are putting out and is ABC rated. Powder extinguishers are good for gasoline, but the powder corrodes the shit out of all metals that are left behind so while your car was put out, the left overs are seriously shot.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Dec 6 2012, 08:51 PM
Post #53

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

QUOTE(struckn @ Dec 5 2012, 08:58 PM) *

Ethanol is relatively new to fuel and a problem that may now cause the original plastic lines in the tunnel to fail. Rarely a problem in the past is not a good arguement in favor of not replacing the old plastic lines.

While Ethanol sucks, it is more a problem for Rubber Lines. The Plastic Lines are the PROBLEM - they are OLD.
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Dec 6 2012, 09:01 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 11,782

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 6 2012, 06:44 PM) *

B is what you need for gasoline. C is for electrical. A is for anything that leaves an ash, but does not have current going through it (so can be a water extinguisher).

Halon is the best as it does not ruin what is left of what you are putting out and is ABC rated. Powder extinguishers are good for gasoline, but the powder corrodes the shit out of all metals that are left behind so while your car was put out, the left overs are seriously shot.

Yep, my bad. It is the B that is important.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 6 2012, 09:05 PM
Post #55

Bringing up my old Naval Firefighter knowledge (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Kirmizi
post Dec 6 2012, 10:01 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 5,568

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 6 2012, 07:05 PM) *

Bringing up my old Naval Firefighter knowledge (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Doc, you've had fires in your belly button? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Dec 6 2012, 10:11 PM
Post #57

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Dec 6 2012, 08:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 6 2012, 07:05 PM) *

Doc, you've had fires in your belly button? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 7 2012, 08:33 AM
Post #58

No, I capitalized the propped nouns do you would know that I was talking about a job title, not the fires I have had in my belly lint trap.
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Dec 7 2012, 01:21 PM
Post #59

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

He did say "Naval" not "navel" ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
Porsche930dude
post Dec 7 2012, 06:32 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 13,819

the factory seam sealer puddy seems to be very flamable
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 03:08 AM