Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Paint Guns - HVLP *VS* Standard, Opinions needed for a garage paint job
saigon71
post Dec 9 2012, 05:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

While not close to painting my car yet, I have purchased the paint. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I know the best thing to do is take it to a professional, but I simply can't afford it. It will be a garage paint job. I will be shooting single stage acrylic enamel. My painting experience consists of using canned spray paint on a 1970 Volkswagon Karmann Ghia in a rented garage in the middle of summer 22 years ago.

A few months back, I picked up a standard Kobalt paint kit from Lowes. But I was wondering if I would be better off with an HVLP setup. What is the best paint gun setup for a complete amateur on a budget?

Thanks,

Bob
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Dec 9 2012, 05:19 PM
Post #2

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

http://www.amazon.com/Devilbiss-Finishline...biss+finishline

You don't have to have it, but HVLP is far superior. You will use les paint, get in to tight areas a little better, use every bit of the paint that you mix. Plus you won't be turning everything in the garge green (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Dec 9 2012, 05:29 PM
Post #3

Forgot to mention, I am working with a 2HP, 30 gal Husky air compressor from Hone Depot. Will this handle an HVLP gun?

+Quote Post
3d914
post Dec 9 2012, 05:45 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,191
Region Association: Southwest Region

Bob, you'll need to get the CFM specs on your compressor. For example, the gun suggested above requires 13 CFM at 23 PSI.
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Dec 9 2012, 07:19 PM
Post #5

Thanks for the education on the subject gents. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Brutal...just looked up the specs on my compressor. "The Husky 30-Gallon Portable Electric Air Compressor can deliver 3 - 6 SCFM at 90 PSI for a quiet airflow."

Looks like I am stuck with an old school paint gun setup.
+Quote Post
wingnut86
post Dec 9 2012, 08:32 PM
Post #6

...boola la boo boola boo...

Member No.: 11,645
Region Association: South East States

You can rent a compressor if you need it to prime. Then wet sand for a week or 2 and rent another one for an 18 hour paint marathon.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 9 2012, 10:44 PM
Post #7

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(saigon71 @ Dec 9 2012, 05:19 PM) *

Thanks for the education on the subject gents. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Brutal...just looked up the specs on my compressor. "The Husky 30-Gallon Portable Electric Air Compressor can deliver 3 - 6 SCFM at 90 PSI for a quiet airflow."

Looks like I am stuck with an old school paint gun setup.

Bob, see what your compressor is rated for at 23psi (if that's what your gun calls for), not at 90psi. I've got the Chinese knock-off that De Vil that Scotty posted above. It's about $90 and a good gun but mine is set at 45psi at the gun, IIRC. I just switched to HVLP 2 yr's ago. I can see a lot better in my garage booth with hvlp vs regular gun. Less fog/over spray.
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Dec 11 2012, 05:00 PM
Post #8

After some internet research, I found an HVLP paint gun with a lower CFM requirement that my compressor will handle. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) My one car garage is attached to the house and my washer & dryer are out there, so overspray is a big concern. Took the standard gun back to Lowes today and picked up an HVLP.

As usual, thanks for the feedback gents. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
jbyron
post Dec 12 2012, 09:21 AM
Post #9

Jamie

Member No.: 7,916
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Bob-

If you don't mind, would you post a link to the sprayer you bought? Also, a review of the gun after you've used it would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jamie
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Dec 12 2012, 09:39 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

Hey Bob,
From experience, I can tell you that no matter what gun you use, or how big the shop, without significant negative pressure, you will still have large issues with overspray. Make sure you cover anything you don't want to turn the color of your paint. Otherwise, you will be using a clay bar on your washer and dryer, trust me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-George
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Dec 12 2012, 10:49 AM
Post #11

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

That compressor may not be enough. Scotty can probably give you more info than me, but from my experience small compressors seem to create more moisture problems.
+Quote Post
worn
post Dec 12 2012, 02:47 PM
Post #12

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(saigon71 @ Dec 9 2012, 03:07 PM) *

While not close to painting my car yet, I have purchased the paint. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I know the best thing to do is take it to a professional, but I simply can't afford it. It will be a garage paint job. I will be shooting single stage acrylic enamel. My painting experience consists of using canned spray paint on a 1970 Volkswagon Karmann Ghia in a rented garage in the middle of summer 22 years ago.

A few months back, I picked up a standard Kobalt paint kit from Lowes. But I was wondering if I would be better off with an HVLP setup. What is the best paint gun setup for a complete amateur on a budget?

Thanks,

Bob

Make sure that you also get a stand, or make one, that will allow you to set the gun down while full, and preferably while still hooked to the hose. You will find you need your hands free right in the middle of something.

Also, the investment in a supplied air system is expensive and also worth the money. I have a beard, so even with hand cream saturating it the masks don't seal, so positive pressure is important to me. Even if that isn't a problem for you, the paints contain very very reactive substances that are toxic until they react. If you breathe them in, they will react with what makes you you.
+Quote Post
jmmotorsports
post Dec 12 2012, 04:51 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 6,658
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

my guns are all SATA about $700 each eastwood has a niceone for under 200 cheap ones never workvery good
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Dec 12 2012, 06:24 PM
Post #14

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE(9146986 @ Dec 12 2012, 08:49 AM) *

That compressor may not be enough. Scotty can probably give you more info than me, but from my experience small compressors seem to create more moisture problems.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) the small comressor will work, but it will be running constantly. If you can bear it, put the compressor inside. That way it will be a little warmer than outside which will help with the condensation you'll get this time of year. A cheapo moisture filter would also help. You don't need anything fancy, just a toilet paper typer. ( I'm not sure what the proper term for them is )

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/motorguard...60-p-11897.aspx
+Quote Post
boogie_man
post Dec 12 2012, 07:34 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 12,969
Region Association: Southern California

Make sure those appliances aren't gas with "pilot" lights too or boom boom
out go the lights (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif)
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Dec 12 2012, 07:53 PM
Post #16

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

I say rent hookers and buy good scotch and send Scotty a roundtrip bus ticket. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
zig-n-zag
post Dec 13 2012, 02:15 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 6,024

Check out the Earlex HVLP spray station at www.woodcraft.com.

+Quote Post
saigon71
post Dec 15 2012, 12:34 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(jbyron @ Dec 12 2012, 10:21 AM) *

Bob-

If you don't mind, would you post a link to the sprayer you bought? Also, a review of the gun after you've used it would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jamie

I will probably get blasted for this purchase, but after reading the reviews, I bought two of these guns in case one gives me problems on paint day. Picked up two paint guns, disposable paint cups, filters, strainers and a stand for under $60. The gun will be thoroughly cleaned before use...and will be tested on the engine bay before used on the exterior. Will give an honest review of the gun after use.

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-high-vo...-gun-47016.html
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Dec 15 2012, 12:37 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(worn @ Dec 12 2012, 03:47 PM) *

QUOTE(saigon71 @ Dec 9 2012, 03:07 PM) *

Thanks,

Bob

Make sure that you also get a stand, or make one, that will allow you to set the gun down while full, and preferably while still hooked to the hose. You will find you need your hands free right in the middle of something.

Also, the investment in a supplied air system is expensive and also worth the money. I have a beard, so even with hand cream saturating it the masks don't seal, so positive pressure is important to me. Even if that isn't a problem for you, the paints contain very very reactive substances that are toxic until they react. If you breathe them in, they will react with what makes you you.

Picked up stand for the gun that also holds the strainers for easy filling of the paint cup. Anything that will make the process less hassle is a good idea! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
barada
post Dec 16 2012, 08:33 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 9,613

You can use those guns. I have seen folks use them. I use them for Primer and epoxy. LAst year we did my 914 in the garage and my buddy did the final paint. He used his Satajet guns and everything went well. I have a 60 gallon compressor and it ran more than we wanted so we had to have filters in line and all over to keep water out. That is the only thing I would say on your end. If you cna use a bigger compressor , you will be happier in the end.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=136854&hl=

Good luck on the project.

Phillip
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 11:53 PM