Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bottom's up, My ride is bumpy
oldschool
post Dec 9 2012, 08:07 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,705
Region Association: Southern California

So I'm driving along with a passenger in the car and boy my car seems to bottom out a few times...real hard LA Hwy suck...
What can I do to help this from happening, Is it shocks? I don't think my car is that low...Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Dec 9 2012, 08:43 PM
Post #2

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

springs
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 9 2012, 09:13 PM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

rear looks low. might be shocks and springs.
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Dec 9 2012, 09:17 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

So if springs.... What's available or what are people using( just a street car)
+Quote Post
mittelmotor
post Dec 9 2012, 09:23 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 14,464
Region Association: None

I'd stay with stock spring rates and go with better shock control. If you go with the nonadjustable Bilsteins, you can adjust the rear ride height with a snap ring (that supports the spring perch) that fits into one of three grooves in the shock body.

Bilsteins have nice high-speed damping suppleness that helps to filter out pavement cracks, tar strips, etc. Even the Koni yellows set to full soft are pretty nice street shocks. That's what I have on my car and they feel cushy (everything's relative; my DD is a race-prepped NC Miata!).

How's my old engine? Have you put it in a car yet?

--Doug
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Dec 9 2012, 09:36 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mittelmotor @ Dec 9 2012, 07:23 PM) *

I'd stay with stock spring rates and go with better shock control. If you go with the nonadjustable Bilsteins, you can adjust the rear ride height with a snap ring (that supports the spring perch) that fits into one of three grooves in the shock body.

Bilsteins have nice high-speed damping suppleness that helps to filter out pavement cracks, tar strips, etc. Even the Koni yellows set to full soft are pretty nice street shocks. That's what I have on my car and they feel cushy (everything's relative; my DD is a race-prepped NC Miata!).

--Doug

Doug I thought that was you, Man its great!....Was it off 74?
+Quote Post
silver74insocal
post Dec 9 2012, 09:41 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 11,073

--Doug

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) you have been in mine...its bilsteins with new 100 lbs springs ( i think) its a little bumpy but would NEVER bottom out
+Quote Post
mittelmotor
post Dec 10 2012, 11:41 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 14,464
Region Association: None

QUOTE(oldschool @ Dec 9 2012, 07:36 PM) *

--Doug

Doug I thought that was you, Man its great!....Was it off 74?

Yeah, it's me. I'm glad you're liking the engine...I told you it was a super-strong runner! as far as I know it's a '74; the chassis is a 1974, but I never checked for matching numbers.

Silver74inSocal, thanks for agreeing! I had the Bilsteins on a 914 I owned about 12 years ago (with about the same spring rate, IIRC) and I was impressed with the combination of control and civility.

--Doug
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:36 PM