Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bottom's up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oldschool
So I'm driving along with a passenger in the car and boy my car seems to bottom out a few times...real hard LA Hwy suck...
What can I do to help this from happening, Is it shocks? I don't think my car is that low...Click to view attachment
bulitt
springs
mepstein
rear looks low. might be shocks and springs.
oldschool
So if springs.... What's available or what are people using( just a street car)
mittelmotor
I'd stay with stock spring rates and go with better shock control. If you go with the nonadjustable Bilsteins, you can adjust the rear ride height with a snap ring (that supports the spring perch) that fits into one of three grooves in the shock body.

Bilsteins have nice high-speed damping suppleness that helps to filter out pavement cracks, tar strips, etc. Even the Koni yellows set to full soft are pretty nice street shocks. That's what I have on my car and they feel cushy (everything's relative; my DD is a race-prepped NC Miata!).

How's my old engine? Have you put it in a car yet?

--Doug
oldschool
QUOTE(mittelmotor @ Dec 9 2012, 07:23 PM) *

I'd stay with stock spring rates and go with better shock control. If you go with the nonadjustable Bilsteins, you can adjust the rear ride height with a snap ring (that supports the spring perch) that fits into one of three grooves in the shock body.

Bilsteins have nice high-speed damping suppleness that helps to filter out pavement cracks, tar strips, etc. Even the Koni yellows set to full soft are pretty nice street shocks. That's what I have on my car and they feel cushy (everything's relative; my DD is a race-prepped NC Miata!).

--Doug

Doug I thought that was you, Man its great!....Was it off 74?
silver74insocal

--Doug

agree.gif you have been in mine...its bilsteins with new 100 lbs springs ( i think) its a little bumpy but would NEVER bottom out
mittelmotor
QUOTE(oldschool @ Dec 9 2012, 07:36 PM) *

--Doug

Doug I thought that was you, Man its great!....Was it off 74?

Yeah, it's me. I'm glad you're liking the engine...I told you it was a super-strong runner! as far as I know it's a '74; the chassis is a 1974, but I never checked for matching numbers.

Silver74inSocal, thanks for agreeing! I had the Bilsteins on a 914 I owned about 12 years ago (with about the same spring rate, IIRC) and I was impressed with the combination of control and civility.

--Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.