Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How did you learn to TIG weld?, Post your tips and stories.
andys
post Dec 18 2012, 12:23 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 721
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ruby914 @ Dec 18 2012, 10:18 AM) *

I now wear glasses, just seeing the puddle is my biggest challenge.
I must be getting old because as soon as I move my hand from a steady rest I am in the puddle as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Yeah, worsening eyesight is my achilles heel too. Can't find the glasses that give me just the right distance correction; and of course you're always welding at odd angles so there's never just one solution. Weird too, is I get these occasional momentary lapses of hypnosis when welding. Anyone experience this? I used to be pretty good at TIG, but now it's relegated to hit or miss. Enough of that.....

Oxy/acet proficiency is a huge benefit when learning how to TIG weld. Of course a lot of practice is key.

Andys
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Dec 18 2012, 02:39 PM
Post #22

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414
Region Association: South East States

I will look into the oxy/acetylene welding.

Is it easier than TIG welding but helps to pick up TIG welding?

If it is harder then I may skip it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

I saw an interesting you tube video where a guy ("the tinman?") flame welded two plates together and then beat it into a very convex shape without the weld breaking. His point was MIG and TIG make a brittle weld while flame welding leaves a flexible weld.

I can see the rod dipping similarity between the two.

John
+Quote Post
The Metal Surgeon
post Dec 18 2012, 05:05 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 14,902

Tig welding doesn't leave a brittle weld on sheet metal,mig does in my opinion
+Quote Post
okieflyr
post Dec 18 2012, 06:49 PM
Post #24

9fauxteen

Member No.: 3,426
Region Association: North East States

My strategy is to sharpen 4-5 electrodes at a time to help reduce the down time while i'm trying to get everything synchronized... Still a long way to go....
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Dec 18 2012, 09:02 PM
Post #25

From Wreck to Rockin

Kevin,

That is a great tip to sharpen more than one tungsten at a time.

I also bought a small benchtop grinder to dedicate to sharpening tungstens.

If seeing the puddle is a problem then get the magnifier lens for your welding helmet. I have tried 2x, 2.5x, and 3x. They cost about $5 each so I thought I would try a range of them. You can only see close up with the magnifiers but I think they help a lot. I like the 3x the best so far. I am almost 50 (shudder) and my eyes are not the greatest. You youngish folk probably don't need them.

I am pretty sure the eastwood ac/dc tig varies the amperage as you press down more or less on the pedal. I can back off the amps slowly at the end of a weld. The trigger that is on the torch is an on/off switch though.

John
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Dec 18 2012, 09:09 PM
Post #26

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE(The Metal Surgeon @ Dec 18 2012, 03:05 PM) *

Tig welding doesn't leave a brittle weld on sheet metal,mig does in my opinion

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Gas will leave the softest weld, BUT if you aren't sufficient with it, it will also warp the worst. As far as tig goes, no I do not weld long lengths even in tig. Get the tight fit and spot it. I typically end up with spot welds about 3/4 of an inch apart before running any kind of a bead, but, I also am nowhere near the level of the metal surgeon. I have watched his work on the HAMB for a few years now and that level, is what I aspire to be soon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Dec 18 2012, 09:21 PM
Post #27

From Wreck to Rockin

Scotty, you will definitely get there...

WOT: The HAMB is the bomb for crazy metal work rustorations.

This dude took a POS 4 door and turned it into a cool 2 door.

Talk about rusty, this is worse than almost any 914 you've seen fixed.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466490

John
+Quote Post
strawman
post Dec 18 2012, 11:57 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 8,624
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Dec 18 2012, 07:21 PM) *

WOT: The HAMB is the bomb for crazy metal work rustorations.

This dude took a POS 4 door and turned it into a cool 2 door.

Talk about rusty, this is worse than almost any 914 you've seen fixed.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466490

John

Thanks, John. That is 90 minutes I'll never get back. But it was fun reading about that dude's sickness for all things rusty... I can now say my rusty basket-case 914 was not THAT bad to begin with!
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Dec 19 2012, 09:33 AM
Post #29

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

the oxy practice tip is good. i also use a little home depot torch to burn off contaminants and moisture prior to weld. dont need to go nuts with the heat. we all want to make nice looking welds but flow and penetration of surrounding metal is far more important than the lovely stack of dimes

i do small spots along the panel. this helps transfer the heat on thin metal and has helped reduce blow thru on yhe thin stuff
+Quote Post
mr914
post Dec 19 2012, 03:39 PM
Post #30

914 Hillbilly

Member No.: 131

I signed up for a class at the local community college.

Lots of good tips, an instructor to tutor you.

It's just practice and more practice.

Told the instructor, i just wanted to do thin sheet metal and aluminum under 1/4 inch.

Best memory.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Tried to weld a 1/8" aluminum box. was looking beautiful. Kept welding and poof, a puddle of aluminum. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
+Quote Post
stugray
post Dec 19 2012, 05:09 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

Tried to weld a 1/8" aluminum box

A friend of mine was fusion welding together a 1/8" steel cube about 4 inches on a side.
He got to the very last ~1/4" of weld and decided he should let it cool before "sealing" it. When he shut off the torch there was a flame coming out of the box for almost another minute.

Later he decided to show someone the cool flame so he filled it up with Acetylene and lit it - BOOM - his cube flew across the shop and was now a sphere!

He forgot that between the two demonstrations of the "cool flame" he tried to clean out the box through the little seam with Oxygen.

Do not try this at home kids!

Stu
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 20 2012, 12:08 AM
Post #32

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Lots of great suggestions here. Like many others here I started out gas welding also about 40 years ago. I probably burned up a water tower size tank of ox/ac in my early daze. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) I attended welding school when I was 18 and worked at fab shops and the ship yard. I have welded with all kinds of stick rods and wire welders including 3/16" flux core wire.

Try running 3/16 wire in a vertical V butt, multi-passes on 1" plate. I've run a mile of 1/4 jet rod, Air ached and welded stress cracks on the pivot of a scrapper, I was trusted to be one of the guys to weld on the hull for the lengthening of the great lakes ore boat the William Clay Ford. The boat was cut in half, the drydock was flooded, the rear half was floated out, a new mid-section was floated in and we welded the seams back together. Think about the stress on the hull. There are tunnels below the deck that run the full length of the boat. In heavy seas when you are at one end of the tunnel looking to the other end the lights will disappear from the end of the tunnel as the hull flexes.

I purchased my first mig welder when I was 18 from the Snap-on man.
It was $ 1800.00 37 years ago!

I have the Eastwood 200 AC/DC Tig also. Great welder. I don't use the foot peddle much. The Eastwood unit comes with an optional little on/off thumb switch. I set the welder up with test pieces first. I have to use 350 power cheater glasses as it is hard to see the puddle. Like most my eyes are getting older than I feel I am. Sux (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I purchased a small bench grinder and have a separate dedicated grinding wheel for the separate aluminum and steel electrodes. I use a small battery powered drill to spin the elctrodes against the grinder. Makes a very nice consistant point.

Practice makes proficient. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
stugray
post Dec 20 2012, 12:34 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

rick - NICE experience. I like the flexing, floating boat bit. My grandmother actually welded in the East coast shipyards during WWII on some of the Destroyers. She was one of the few that could get all the way into the Bow because she was so tiny.

I learned to weld while setting up Airco-Pulse Arcs in the mids 80's when they first came out.
We had the robotic track welders used on nuke subs that attach with magnetic tracks.
We even tried the electromagnet that could move the spray from side to side without moving the nozzle as the gun climbed the track. It was very cool, but hard to keep consistent because we could not keep the wind out of the chamber.
We calculated that on one job we welded over 1 million feet of weld (3/8" Plate) and that every foot (on average) was welded and ground out-rewelded three times.

The floor was 3" think 45% bevel. The room was designed for acoustic testing of space shuttle payloads...... :-0

Same job where we had a Manitowoc-4000 crane colapsing over our heads while 5 stories up, but I digress....

I currently have a powcon that still runs.

Stu
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 20 2012, 08:43 AM
Post #34

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 20 2012, 12:34 AM) *

rick - NICE experience. I like the flexing, floating boat bit. My grandmother actually welded in the East coast shipyards during WWII on some of the Destroyers. She was one of the few that could get all the way into the Bow because she was so tiny.

I learned to weld while setting up Airco-Pulse Arcs in the mids 80's when they first came out.
We had the robotic track welders used on nuke subs that attach with magnetic tracks.
We even tried the electromagnet that could move the spray from side to side without moving the nozzle as the gun climbed the track. It was very cool, but hard to keep consistent because we could not keep the wind out of the chamber.
We calculated that on one job we welded over 1 million feet of weld (3/8" Plate) and that every foot (on average) was welded and ground out-rewelded three times.

The floor was 3" think 45% bevel. The room was designed for acoustic testing of space shuttle payloads...... :-0

Same job where we had a Manitowoc-4000 crane colapsing over our heads while 5 stories up, but I digress....

I currently have a powcon that still runs.

Stu

I never the the pulse but they used that type of rig on the deck straps. They laid thick plates down both sides of the deck and welded them with an automated machine. the flux was poured over the molten weld metal as the machine worked it's way along the V butt. Very cool machine, huge roll of wire. I did run a track welder with .045 wire on the slope plates in the cargo hold a couple times. It was an adapted machine that had a hand torch clamped into an motor. You would watch the arch and adjust the sweep, speed and adjust the position as the motor walked up the magnetic track. It allowed for nice long uninterupted welds on the vertical slopes. I ran miles of .035 wire on the horizontal seams. But I'm a small guy so I spent alot of time crawling through the bildge stick welding. Great job but very cold here. It could get 50 with the wind chill. Work was never called off due to the cold.

Anywho, Tig welding is a fine art that takes practice. Like McMark said, muscle memory.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Dec 20 2012, 09:21 AM
Post #35

From Wreck to Rockin

Mark's comment really struck a nerve with me.

I have done 10 hours of practice so far and watched all the videos, etc.

I know intellectually what to do, I just need to train my hands to do it right without thinking.

It does remind me a lot (as Mark said) of the difference between knowing how to fret a G chord on the guitar and being able to actually do it smoothly and quickly, without looking while playing.

John
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Dec 21 2012, 08:19 AM
Post #36

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

It's all about practice time. I learned the basics about 6 years ago from a machinist at school and then some tips from Chris Foley. Since then I've TIGed 5 FSAE car frames, headers, and a bunch of aluminum intakes, intercoolers, coolant lines, etc.

My personal TIG learning progression went something like this:

10 hours - Wow, I'm really terrible.
100 hours - Hmm, I'm not too bad, but how do those professionals do it?
500 hours - Better, but not great. Now I'm good enough to teach others.
1000 hours - Lets go weld some cans together! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

After spending so much time behind a torch I feel pretty good about my skills, though I'm still always blown away people who have been welding for decades. I've taught a bunch of people now, and like to tell them that its a skill that takes a few hours to aquire and a lifetime to master.

Good luck! Post up some welds-I got great critique from some very experienced people hear when I was learning! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
stugray
post Dec 23 2012, 12:29 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Another trick I learned from welding that most wouldnt appreciate: When setting up the weld joint, there are tricks that help align the joint.
Sometimes we would "hot tack" a joint and then pound it closed while still red hot, or tack on a "dog" on one side of the seam and drive in a wedge to close the seam. After the seam gets tacked, you just remove the wedge and break off the "dog" leaving minimal cleanup if done right.

We even had "sacrificial pry-bars" that you could directly tack on one side of a joint and press the joint together, then break off and repeat....

Stu
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 06:38 AM