Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> COA help..
carr914
post Dec 21 2012, 06:32 PM
Post #21

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

I know we are getting off track, but

Forging Aluminum has nothing to do with Casting. Casting means that Hot Aluminum is poured into a Cast. Forging is Aluminum that is put into a Die and then Pressed under many Tons of Force into the shape desired

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
carr914
post Dec 21 2012, 06:32 PM
Post #22

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Sorry I double Posted
+Quote Post
tod914
post Dec 22 2012, 11:12 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Often wondered what the process was. Good info.
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Dec 23 2012, 02:16 AM
Post #24

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 21 2012, 11:29 AM) *

Like I said Dave, I don't know which & didn't want to get between them on forged vs. pressure cast, but did want to answer your question about whether the ever painted the Fuchs in LE style. IIRC you could special order them too in body color match of any color, but not positive on that.

Tom, I actually never asked that question, but thanks anyway for the info on the colored Fuchs. I've seen pictures of the Japanese SL models on Jeff's Can Am site but that's about it.

Cool wheels you have there. You say they're Signal Orange? They look like they're Phoenix Red .... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 23 2012, 01:42 PM
Post #25

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Dec 23 2012, 12:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 21 2012, 11:29 AM) *

Like I said Dave, I don't know which & didn't want to get between them on forged vs. pressure cast, but did want to answer your question about whether the ever painted the Fuchs in LE style. IIRC you could special order them too in body color match of any color, but not positive on that.

Tom, I actually never asked that question, but thanks anyway for the info on the colored Fuchs. I've seen pictures of the Japanese SL models on Jeff's Can Am site but that's about it.

Cool wheels you have there. You say they're Signal Orange? They look like they're Phoenix Red .... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Yes, you're right Dave IIRC - Phoenix Red, which is a Red-Orange by the non-marketing name, & not sure if mine are painted the correct Cremescicle Orange/Red-Orange or the 75-76 MY equivalent (?Nepal Orange or special order orange/red-orange?), since they were OE color matched to a 75-76 2.0 which I bought them from, but I can't track it down now.

I guess the question wasn't by you - but the question comes up implicitly with Tod's reply at post #5 where he referenced "forged allow wheels" option code "M485" info on his COA, & whether the Fuchs 2L's were ever painted seemed like a good clarification in any case, to this wheels question in general, & hopefully helps Tod in his faithful to original resto of Froggy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
tod914
post Feb 5 2013, 11:58 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Porsche just verified the antenna with suppressor kit for the 490 code. Should have the COA in 3 weeks. Thanks for the assistance. I'll post a picture of it when it comes in.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 5 2013, 07:23 PM
Post #27

TMI....

QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 5 2013, 09:58 AM) *

Porsche just verified the antenna with suppressor kit for the 490 code. Should have the COA in 3 weeks. Thanks for the assistance. I'll post a picture of it when it comes in.

I've been saying for a long time that Porsche did supply some 914s with the antenna/suppressor & speakers in "radio ready form" - and that not all antennas were dealer installed. Good deal Tod!

Hope you're all moved & settled in.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
tod914
post Feb 21 2013, 08:53 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

It came in! Very nice job on it. The antenna option was correct. Should the sail vinyl, fog lights and center console be listed under a package, or is that part of the chrome bumpers option? Car does not have sway bars. Also, production end date, is that indicated on the vin sticker? Should the options listed on the COA have the code prefix? I'd like to get as much of the information onto the COA as possible. Thanks for the assistance.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
carr914
post Feb 21 2013, 09:11 AM
Post #29

Racer from Birth

Production Date will be on your Compliance Sticker in the DS Door Jam

No the Options on a CoA do not get Code Numbers

I've never seen Sail Vinyl, Center Console or Fog Lights on a CoA

The Info on your CoA is all you are going to get - just be glad that it is remotely correct
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 21 2013, 10:56 AM
Post #30

TMI....

Well, the production MONTH & year on the VIN sticker may or may not be the actual Chassis No. production date.

Another member's Orange 2L was built a week before mine in Aug. 72, but had a 9/72 VIN sticker date, while mine is 8/72. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Decode your chassis no. on the Karmann plate using an online calendar for the year of mfgr (YoM) noted on the VIN sticker as follows:

Chassis No.: WWD95XX (or...96XX)*

WW = week of year (count even one day as week #1)
D = day of work week (1-5 = M-F)
.... & translate week & day w/ YoM to a full production date

95 = Karmann Plant & * 96 = 95 + 100 added to below...

XX = # of 914s completed/stamped that date (higher # is later in day)
* 96 = 100 + XX = 1XX

COA's are notoriously incomplete & incorrect Tod, so lacking a dealer invoice &/or window sticker, it may be impossible to add the sail/rollbar vinyle, foglights & any other unlisted option items to the COA.

However, at some Parades & other events where PCNA brings their troops armed with their digital microfilm/fische files on computer to the events, you may be able to look at the actual Kardex & jot down the option codes & notations (in German) & get them translated then added to your COA that way (should be at no cost to correct a COA). You might even sneak a pic of it when they're not looking, but they're protective of the Kardexes now due to the fact that it includes the key code and origina/following owner info which is a privacy issue.

As for your interior code #21 - it should read Brown Leatherette with Basketweave (inserts), as per this chart I used to get mine corrected from their erroneous "#31 Beige..." - which was their error....

Attached Image
^--- note #21 in bottom left set of English codes, this is from Jeff's website too BTW

You can also pull the option codes off of Jeff Bowlsby's website.

I don't think Froggy was an Appearance Group (AG) 914 - unless it also has the center console, but the chrome bumpers did become a separate option for additional cost over-&-above the AG in the 74 MY so Porsche could ding you 2x for what had been included in the AG for 914/4's in 70-73 MYs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

So the separate chrome bumper option makes sense on Froggy.

FYI - the 74 MY AG would've included Leatherette covered steering wheel & shift boot, loop pile carpet, center console & 3 gauges, foglights/grills & dash switch, dual horns, sail/rollbar vinyl - so if all of that is there, you could look up the code on Jeff's website & take pix of them all on Froggy, then send that into PCNA COA (again!) to ask them to recheck their Kardex & add it to the revised COA.

All I have to say is - it's a good thing that Porsche is not generally as sloppy with the car building, as PCNA is with their crappy COA work, which is usually "neither fast, nor slow - but usually half-fast!" - especially on the older cars without a supplied window sticker! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

PS - HEY - cool, they actually have your transaxle number! ...very rare that they have it at all.

PSS - Only the models which included certain or all option groups &/or special options as part of that model's "package" won't include listing those specific options. So a 914-6 70-72 MYs, the 73 early/mid MY 914-2.0/"914S" & 74 LEs won't specifically list their individual options always included with it for the basic price new (911 RS is another non-914 example). I disagree with this approach, because IMHO the manufacturer should be confirming & certifying the inclusion of options on ALL of their models - whether sold at extra cost or included in the upgraded model's base price - for a "Certificate [manufacturer certification] of Authenticity [of all model items and options]".
+Quote Post
tod914
post Feb 21 2013, 11:06 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

I'll inquire about the apperance group option, being it has all the goodies that go with it. I asked them to add the transaxle number in, being it's never been out of the car.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 21 2013, 11:54 AM
Post #32

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Tod, see the attached equipment packages for 1974.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
tod914
post Feb 21 2013, 12:25 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

FYI - the 74 MY AG would've included Leatherette covered steering wheel & shift boot, loop pile carpet, center console & 3 gauges, foglights/grills & dash switch, dual horns, sail/rollbar vinyl.

In addition to that, mine also has the center tray w/hinged arm rest. Only thing it's missing is F&R stabilizer bars, factory undercoating, and factory radio from what I can tell. Looking at the COAs listed on Jeff's site, the information seems to be spartan at best. Wondering if the Kardexs are missing the information, or it's just not getting put onto the COAs. .
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 21 2013, 12:33 PM
Post #34

TMI....

QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 21 2013, 10:25 AM) *

FYI - the 74 MY AG would've included Leatherette covered steering wheel & shift boot, loop pile carpet, center console & 3 gauges, foglights/grills & dash switch, dual horns, sail/rollbar vinyl.

In addition to that, mine also has the center tray w/hinged arm rest. Only thing it's missing is F&R stabilizer bars, factory undercoating, and factory radio from what I can tell. Looking at the COAs listed on Jeff's site, the information seems to be spartan at best. Wondering if the Kardexs are missing the information, or it's just not getting put onto the COAs. .

It's a little of both Tod.

I forgot to include the center tray/cushion on my list - it's on all 73-76 AGs AFAIK.

Performance Group (PG - Sport Group? RoW & @ Jeff's options page) would've been the F&R sway bars + Fuchs 2L wheels (Mahle 4-lug on LEs or as an alt option at no cost with PG).
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 21 2013, 03:33 PM
Post #35

914 Wiring Harnesses

There was no PG in 1974...items not in the AG were individually priced options.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 21 2013, 04:58 PM
Post #36

TMI....

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 21 2013, 01:33 PM) *

There was no PG in 1974...items not in the AG were individually priced options.

2 "Laugh In" TV show lines come to mind.....

"Wery Interesting!"

&

"Sock it to [Ya]!"

Thx Jeff
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 21 2013, 07:03 PM
Post #37

914 Wiring Harnesses

Careful...I am old enough to remember that show, and the Gong show... But just barely. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 21 2013, 07:35 PM
Post #38

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 21 2013, 08:56 AM) *
Another member's Orange 2L was built a week before mine in Aug. 72, but had a 9/72 VIN sticker date, while mine is 8/72. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

That's because it's not a build date ...

The door jamb sticker is US only and it's for importing the car into the US.
The US sticker has nothing to do with the actual build of the car.

My best guess is that it is the month the car was either loaded onto the container ship or expected to arrive in the US.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 22 2013, 02:31 PM
Post #39

TMI....

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 21 2013, 05:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 21 2013, 08:56 AM) *

That's because it's not a build date ...

The door jamb sticker is US only and it's for importing the car into the US.
The US sticker has nothing to do with the actual build of the car.

My best guess is that it is the month the car was either loaded onto the container ship or expected to arrive in the US.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Understood Andy. My point was that the Chassis No. is the closest thing to a build date - not the VIN sticker's date.

My case in point example was John's "Orangina" having a later sticker date but built the week or so before mine - so mine was probably shipped out earlier, even though having the chassis no. stamped later than Johns' former 914 - while his was held back long enough to get into the 9/72 stickers.

What makes it even more interesting is that my chassis no. date is 8/31/72 with an 8/72 VIN sticker date - same day! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
.... world's fastest 914 build or what! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

PS - that's why my prior post in its entirety & even the snippette above makes the clear distinction between a "VIN sticker date" & the chassis number derived "build date" - how else would one know which week a 914 was built!!??
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 22 2013, 02:34 PM
Post #40

TMI....

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 21 2013, 05:03 PM) *

Careful...I am old enough to remember that show, and the Gong show... But just barely. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Jeff - I actually remember it clearly .... argh! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
.... but then IIRC I have a year or toe on you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:58 PM