Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

45 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 3.3L Subie Conversion Thread, Got me some 914rubber stuff
Chris H.
post Dec 27 2012, 11:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Finally starting the thread. First, I never would have done this if it weren't for several of you helping me out, especially Ian at:

Cold Water Conversions

Ian tolerated dozens of questions from me as I decided which way to go. Thanks again!

Here is the candidate (or victim, depending on what side of the fence you are on):

Attached Image

A 1975 1.8L with California Emissions...I've had it for almost 11 years. During that time I have logged about 2800 miles on it. I decided to swap it out for a modern drive train so my daughter could drive it so I started looking for a 2.2L Subie and a 2WD auto trans. This setup CAN be made to work with a custom hanger, but it's not a very exciting trans. Think early '90's Camry or Corolla acceleration. I'm sure it could be re-geared but an Audi trans would probably be a much better option.

Then I found and SVX for cheap and changed directions entirely. Looks like my kid will be learning to drive a 5 speed Subie!

So far I have:

Attached Image

Strong running SVX engine

Attached Image

2006 WRX trans purchased from NASIOC

Attached Image

1990-1992 Honda Accord shifter Update - you cannot use this one unless you design something to reverse the shifter mechanism operation. Since it is designed for the trans in front of the car the mechanism moves in the opposite direction (mirror image) of what is needed. I ended up using an MR2 shifter.

If you don't feel like chasing this stuff down Ian will source it for you.

Next up I'll post the highlights of the SVX strip-down and note some of the pitfalls, valuable parts, and stuff to be careful not to break!

Any feedback, comments, questions, concerns are welcome. I want to do it right.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Dec 27 2012, 03:19 PM
Post #2

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

Cool. I have a turbo, but really like that N/A horsepower.
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Dec 27 2012, 03:55 PM
Post #3

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

keep the pics coming : )

i see you are going with a later hydraulic activated trans - i assume that will be a little morre work and cost than a cable operated trans.

+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Dec 28 2012, 06:24 PM
Post #4

Thanks guys. DBCooper I think I have seen yours in videos somewhere. Great setup.

Jim, I'll throw a few pics up every couple of days. Still working through the tear-down of the SVX. Ian and I think that we can get the older cable clutch parts and convert the trans to a push cable trans. If I have to go hydraulic I will since I need a strong trans to handle the HP and torque. This one is pushing it as it is, but I don't plan to race or autocross it.

A few humorous pics:

The DAPO...not just for teeners...

The sunroof leaks...step 1

Attached Image

Tear out the entire headliner, duct tape leak

Step 2...

Attached Image

Use a tube of window caulk to seal sunroof...very subtle. Believe it or not it still leaks.

The SVX's "hell hole" appears to be the doors due to the odd window configuration.

Attached Image

It was like old times when I tried to remove the driver's side lower seat-belt bolt. How many of us in the rust belt have had a huge chunk of rusty metal come off when you turn the bolt?

Attached Image

Another head-scratcher....these are the fuel lines...right underneath a plastic shield running up the drivers side long INSIDE the cabin.

Attached Image

If you part one of these be careful...there are electronics everywhere.

Under passenger seat:

Attached Image

Behind dash:

Attached Image

I plan to (try) to use some of the modern electronics.

Climate control:

Attached Image

Cruise control:

Attached Image
+Quote Post
a914622
post Dec 28 2012, 10:37 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,048
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

If our going to use the stock ecu (i recomend) the hole dash has to come out to get the wire harness "liberated". Big pain but just remove all the 10mm 12mm you can see and feel. There are bolts behind the ac vent covers.
Funny when the masive 8 foot wire bundle is cut down its almost as small as the teener.

You should check the engine wires harness for britleness, and plan on getting new vaccuum lines. I found most all the seals were hard or cracked on both of mine.

jcl
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 28 2012, 10:51 PM
Post #6

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Dont let Scotty B see this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Dec 28 2012, 11:18 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(a914622 @ Dec 28 2012, 10:37 PM) *

If our going to use the stock ecu (i recommend) the hole dash has to come out to get the wire harness "liberated". Big pain but just remove all the 10mm 12mm you can see and feel. There are bolts behind the ac vent covers.
Funny when the massive 8 foot wire bundle is cut down its almost as small as the teener.

You should check the engine wires harness for brittleness, and plan on getting new vacuum lines. I found most all the seals were hard or cracked on both of mine.

jcl

Funny you should say that...I just came in from the garage. Wow there are a LOT of bolts in that dash. Will post pics in the am when I pull that wire bundle out. Couldn't take another minute of it for today. Definitely using the stock ECU and a good portion of the overall harness. Seems easiest.

This car is starting to remind me of the old days when I had VWs. Tools required:

10mm socket
12mm socket
14mm socket once in a while
screwdriver

I'll definitely replace all of the rubber lines and re seal the engine as well since it's out. More to come...
+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 29 2012, 08:34 AM
Post #8

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

thank you for documenting this
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 29 2012, 09:52 AM
Post #9

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Enjoy the striping! DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND LABEL EVERYTHING!!! Label all the stuff you know. Label all the stuff you don't know. The electrical system and devices will look a lot different once it's removed.

Don't cut anything until you identify both ends of the circuit. Label everything!!!

Looks like fun!
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Dec 29 2012, 03:34 PM
Post #10

Thanks guys. Got the harness out...

Empty basket:

Attached Image

Overflowing basket:

Attached Image

Looks like it weighs about 40 lbs.

So far what I have tried to do is keep everything connected to everything else where possible, so the only things that are disconnected are the few things in the engine bay, which I color coded with several different shades of my daughter's nail polish. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
904svo
post Dec 29 2012, 05:25 PM
Post #11

904SVO

Member No.: 5,146

Heres my WRX harness before and after. Label all the connectors and cut the wires from the main harness., Power and Grounds leads are shared in the harness.
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
speed metal army
post Dec 30 2012, 12:00 AM
Post #12

Waiting for the rain to stop...

Member No.: 12,137
Region Association: Canada

Holy Moley!
Waaayy too much of the scary stuff for me!(wiring that is) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Awesome project. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 30 2012, 09:19 AM
Post #13

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Subscribed. Looks like your a couple month's ahead of me. I plan on doing the exact same thing so this is a good thing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Just stay ahead of me so I don't have to do too much head scratching. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Are you going to stay R-134 or convert it also? Talk about being wet behind the ears; I must have passed on 10 SVX's before I found out they only came with automatics. Duh! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) I hope you sort out the tranny/clutch set up before I get there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
nsyr
post Dec 30 2012, 10:54 AM
Post #14

Because I Can

Member No.: 2,073

Three quaters of that wire will be eliminated.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Dec 30 2012, 08:48 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 30 2012, 09:19 AM) *

Subscribed. Looks like your a couple month's ahead of me. I plan on doing the exact same thing so this is a good thing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Just stay ahead of me so I don't have to do too much head scratching. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Are you going to stay R-134 or convert it also? Talk about being wet behind the ears; I must have passed on 10 SVX's before I found out they only came with automatics. Duh! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) I hope you sort out the tranny/clutch set up before I get there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Haven't thought about the R134 conversion. Might have to...not sure. I had no idea that the US spec versions of the SVX were auto only either until I started asking folks if theirs was stick or auto....got the old (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) It's really the weak link in the car. Tempted to find another SVX in better shape and do a 5 speed convert on it. With the right gearing it would be very fun. The AWD is really good without being too "controlling" if that makes sense.

Andrew, glad to hear the wiring is going to be pared way down. I may need your help when I get to the tricky part where I should STOP cutting so that I don't have any CEL or "limp home" problems. Hoping the wiring design is old enough to where it's not so finicky... and when it looks like I am messing up along the way please don't be afraid to tell me...

+Quote Post
ruby914
post Dec 31 2012, 10:42 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 10,305
Region Association: None

It's nice to see all the Suby conversions in work these days.

I would do my best to not cut any wires. I found myself reusing, unused wires, to extend used wires.
You may find something like a yellow / red wire in the A/T loom that you want to use on locating some thing like the FP regulator.
It is nice to find that extra Y/R wire in one peace.

I used a dental pick to unlock the connectors and to unlock each wire in the connectors.
Label everything (used and unused). A label maker would be a good investment.
Good luck.
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Dec 31 2012, 10:55 AM
Post #17

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

I was lazy, bought a plug and play engine harness and aftermarket ECU from Outfront and plugged it in. Well, not quite that simple, but pretty simple.
+Quote Post
a914622
post Dec 31 2012, 11:05 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 12,048
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

All the wires get trimed down to look like this
Attached Image

The svx is straight forward. The to engine side and the to 914 side. There are 2 o2's and the speed sensor need to be pluged into the subaru tranny. The svx ecu can also be upgraded to the "duel mode" stock/sport. but thats down the road.

jcl
+Quote Post
3d914
post Dec 31 2012, 03:41 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 1,191
Region Association: Southwest Region

Great 3.3 conversion thread. Keep it coming and good luck on the project.
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Dec 31 2012, 08:05 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(a914622 @ Dec 31 2012, 12:05 PM) *

All the wires get trimed down to look like this
Attached Image

The svx is straight forward. The to engine side and the to 914 side. There are 2 o2's and the speed sensor need to be pluged into the subaru tranny. The svx ecu can also be upgraded to the "duel mode" stock/sport. but thats down the road.

jcl

Nice job on the wiring harness. Thats more than one night of work there.
When I did mine I had a mistake in the cop wiring and burnt up 2 coils and the ignitor.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post

45 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:31 AM