Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

45 Pages V « < 15 16 17 18 19 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 3.3L Subie Conversion Thread, Got me some 914rubber stuff
Chris H.
post Aug 17 2014, 02:51 PM
Post #321

Group: Members
Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

OK try it now...not terribly exciting, but at least you can see it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 17 2014, 03:53 PM
Post #322

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 17 2014, 01:51 PM) *

OK try it now...not terribly exciting, but at least you can see it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Works now. Best 9 seconds of my life!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 17 2014, 05:00 PM
Post #323

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Way to go, Chris. Another one bites the dust. That punch list is getting smaller and smaller. Once your very close to completion that list will get a growth spurt. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) BTW, I bled the last of the air out of the clutch line this morning and got a 6 min test drive. (I had cherry/banana nut bread in the oven and then it was off to do some shopping with the wife.) The system is working great. Release is about 4/5th's in, not to the floor as I told you earlier. My wife could drive this car.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 17 2014, 05:27 PM
Post #324

Yeah Mike, for you that's video is child's play. Did you install that Porsche projector thing? How did the new cradle turn out? Easier on your CVs I hope.

Kent that's great news on your clutch. I ordered mine Friday but haven't gotten a shipping confirmation. If it doesn't go out tomorrow I'm calling. The clevis should get there tomorrow. Working on the cable shifter now!
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 17 2014, 07:14 PM
Post #325

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 17 2014, 04:27 PM) *

Yeah Mike, for you that's video is child's play. Did you install that Porsche projector thing? How did the new cradle turn out? Easier on your CVs I hope.

Kent that's great news on your clutch. I ordered mine Friday but haven't gotten a shipping confirmation. If it doesn't go out tomorrow I'm calling. The clevis should get there tomorrow. Working on the cable shifter now!

I modified the cradle rather than rebuilding it. I did have to make new motor mounts to bolt onto the cradle.

BTW, I do like the "idiot" light. I was thinking the same thing before I decided to install the dash cluster. There have been plenty of one step forward and two back on my build. Most of those did not make it into my build thread(s). Now I'm getting ready to swap out the 6 speed for the 5 so I can send the 6 to Dr. Evil. Time for new bearings. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 17 2014, 07:59 PM
Post #326

New bearings? Man you are driving that thing like it should be driven aren't you?

Well the "idiot" light is perfect for me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . Apparently on the OBD 1 you can rig it to blink out the codes so you just have to find out what they mean. The nice thing is that it does not go into "limp mode".

I'm also installing a momentary switch where the block off plate for the rear defroster switch is. Got a 40 amp relay as well. My old Rabbit switch (it's what the factory used) frequently takes a couple turns to crank and I've read that the new ones are made in China. I know the Subie relay is easier on the ignition switch but I'd rather not dig into the steering column and swap it only to have the new one break soon after.

Got this:

Attached Image

It looks huge but it's not. It's the same size as the block off plastic piece. most people won't even notice it since it looks the same. If it ends up being a temptation for others to push I will use it as the windshield washer pump switch and get a different one later.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 2 2014, 06:57 PM
Post #327

The good news is that I finally drove it... WOW is it fast!

The bad news is that 2 blocks away I snapped a CV (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . Didn't even get a chance to give it much juice really. No tire spin or anything, just snapped.

So the question is...do I use another 914 CV that I have stashed away or just upgrade to 951's now? Leaning towards the 951s.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 2 2014, 07:47 PM
Post #328

Resident Electrician

Upgrade!

Then you can drive without worry. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 2 2014, 08:17 PM
Post #329

Yep, that's what I thought Mike. Just bought some from e-bay.

On a lighter note, this thing is sooooo much faster and more responsive than any 914 I've ever driven. I let the clutch out expecting one thing, and get something totally different! The noise it makes is pretty sweet too.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 2 2014, 08:18 PM
Post #330

Resident Electrician

Drive over here so we can race. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 2 2014, 08:30 PM
Post #331

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) It ain't that fast Mike. Keep in mind it was pushing ~72hp before. Not used to having to AIM it first before I hit the gas.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Sep 2 2014, 09:09 PM
Post #332

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 2 2014, 08:30 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) It ain't that fast Mike. Keep in mind it was pushing ~72hp before. Not used to having to AIM it first before I hit the gas.

As another who is doing the EG33 thing that's great to hear! I'm looking into using a Subie front bearing instead of the Porsche so I can use the hub and axles designed for that power. Got some fabricating to do for it tho... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 2 2014, 09:10 PM
Post #333

Congrats on completing a very nice addition to the Suby Conversion Stable. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) If you move quickly you can be on the road again this weekend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) OH, I almost forgot........... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Sep 2 2014, 09:13 PM
Post #334

914 Guru

QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 2 2014, 09:10 PM) *

Congrats on completing a very nice addition to the Suby Conversion Stable. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) If you move quickly you can be on the road again this weekend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) OH, I almost forgot........... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)

AND SOUND!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 2 2014, 09:34 PM
Post #335

QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 2 2014, 10:10 PM) *

I did put 2 miles on it but "completed"...well...technically! I HOPE the axles come before the weekend. I'll start dis-assembly tomorrow. Since the axle floats maybe I can wrestle the thing out without taking the whole axle off. The one thing I haven't been able to bring myself to do is cut the front trunk holes. Hopefully by Friday I'll get up the guts to get that done. Was looking at some other options but I think I'd better stick to the standard way. Kent, what size are your holes?

I'll get some video going when we get the axle back together. Right now it sounds a lot like Andyrew's "broken CV autocross video". Vrooommmm.....clunkclunkclunkclunkclunkclunk.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 3 2014, 08:52 AM
Post #336

Well, while waiting on parts you could drag your camera into the garage and take tons of pics then post them here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 3 2014, 09:23 AM
Post #337

Funny thing is I just realized I don't THINK I have to take the thing quite as far apart as I thought...The floating axle might make it fairly easy to remove/replace that CV... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I have two more 914 CVs... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)...still gonna go 951's regardless but I'm pretty impatient. Might be Monday before they get here. I guess I'll see how easy it is to remove and go from there.

Kent, have you removed your axle pins (Subie side)? Assume I just need a punch (but NOT a wood punch). Also, what size are the OUTLET radiator vent holes (in the fender wells) on your car?
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 3 2014, 02:12 PM
Post #338

Whew I needed I good laugh.

Searched what size punch to use to get the roll pin out (3/16) over on NASIOC. A younger gentleman was having trouble getting his out. Plenty of great suggestions, then someone said "Try hitting it with your purse.". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Sep 3 2014, 03:18 PM
Post #339

914 Guru

I took one of my longest and narrow necked punches with a flat tip and ground it down til it fit the pin size. The modified section is over 3 inches long and easily taps out the roll pin. When you put it back in, make sure the chamfered sides of the hub match the VERY SLIGHTLY chamfered side of the stub axle- that's the only way they'll go in. Plus the holes are offset from the centerlines so it makes it easier. Trying to pin it from the other side just creates frustration and releases language you haven't heard in years... may ruin the pin too. Great progress!!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 3 2014, 04:47 PM
Post #340

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 3 2014, 08:23 AM) *

Funny thing is I just realized I don't THINK I have to take the thing quite as far apart as I thought...The floating axle might make it fairly easy to remove/replace that CV... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I have two more 914 CVs... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)...still gonna go 951's regardless but I'm pretty impatient. Might be Monday before they get here. I guess I'll see how easy it is to remove and go from there.

Kent, have you removed your axle pins (Subie side)? Assume I just need a punch (but NOT a wood punch). Also, what size are the OUTLET radiator vent holes (in the fender wells) on your car?

Not yet but they should push thru easily as new as they are. Get a set of drive pins at HF, <$5 and worth it. The holes are 1.5". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

45 Pages V « < 15 16 17 18 19 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:12 AM